back to article China challenged to take down all of AWS and Google

Non-profit anti-censorship body GreatFire.org has created a mirrored site that allows users in China to view the recently blocked Reuters site, in a move which could take down thousands of websites in the PRC if the authorities decide to play hardball. Reuters China and the local language version of the Wall Street Journal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dragon Leaves

pressure

They'll pressure Amazon and Amazon will cave in, of course.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge

Re: pressure

AWS and Google will throw GreatFire and others under the bus in a heartbeat.

2. Shao

And I suppose...

......that China had to block the entire Apple AppStore to take down individual apps also right?

It's not difficult for China to issue an ultimatum to Amazon web services regardless of the rights or wrongs of it.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: And I suppose...

They can, but if Amazon do cave in, it'll cause a lot of public fall-out, and get people asking whether AWS is a suitable service for them to be using, if Amazon will cave in to China for that web site, why wouldn't they also for my small business / medium sized business / blog / service / anything that doesn't meet the Chinese governments standards?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/18/amazon_removes_1984_from_kindle/

3. Sander van der Wal
    Thumb Up

NSA is going to hate that

The Chinese government can of course build their own Amazon-like cloud server and encourage local businesses to use that. Which makes it much harder for the NSA to spy on those businesses.

4. Test Man

CHALLENGE ISSUED.

5. Otto is a bear.

oh come on!

Stop attributing superhuman powers to the NSA, I'd bet that the PLA are the only ones who do, they have the man power and budget.

1. Ivan Headache

Re: oh come on!

What's the Port Of London Authority got to do with all this?

I thought they just cleared the rubbish out of the Thames.

6. dogged

Hmm.

How come the Pirate Bay don't do this?

I'd quite like to see Claire Perry vs Amazon.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Stop

Re: Hmm.

Because Amazon would drop the PirateBay in a heartbeat.

There's a difference between something which is entirely legal in the US, where Amazon are based, (which presumably GreatFire are), and something which is illegal AND directly hurts Amazon's bottom line (they'd rather you paid to download/buy stuff from them, rather than do it for free).

7. HereWeGoAgain

MIrrorred content

Copyright infringement?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Or, more likely

It will provide an economic boost to Chinese companies trying to compete in cloud computing, so Chinese companies, or US companies who want to do business in China, will eventually be forced to use them instead of Amazon or Google's clouds.

Which would be totally fine with the government folks doing the censoring.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please just disconnect China from the internet

I've been looking at my logs and the origins of attempts to hack the server...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like