back to article Samsung prepping smartphone with curvy three-sided display

Samsung is rumoured to be working on a smartphone with a wraparound three-sided display, as the race to bring out new and exciting designs to snare punters continues unabated. The new Galaxy device will allow users to view important messages even if they’re looking at the phone from an angle, two people familiar with the plans …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

Saw a great demo

Compelling for me was a demo I saw where the phone status bar was mirrored onto the thin edge of the phone, you can see if you have emails, etc whilst it's lying face down on the table, or whatever else etiquette dictates in your workplace

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Saw a great demo

The force is strong in this one

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Are they designing it for an alien? Do they know something we don't, because the human body hasn't changed too much for thousands of years except that it has got a little taller and fatter.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Etiquette in the workplace?

Switch it off.

Etiquette at home?

Switch it off.

Etiquette on a night out?

Switch it off.

They still have an on/off button but I'm sure someone will design it 'out' shortly.

A phone that can never be switched off, hell for many, sheer pleasure for Facebook users.

4. SuccessCase

Solution is search of a problem.

5. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

I loved the form factor of the old clamshell phones that gave you a huge (for the time) screen combined with a good keypad in a form that could properly place the speaker close to your ear and the microphone close to your mouth, and then still fold up small enough to fit your pocket.

Having the same on a smartphone would be a similair win - phablet-size screen foldable into a pocket-sized package. And in this case at least the thin-ness will have a practical purpose

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>I loved the form factor of the old clamshell phones that gave you a huge (for the time) screen combined with a good keypad

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57606712-251/new-samsung-android-flip-phone-bubbles-up-with-quad-core-cpu/

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/sony-tablet-p/tab/overview

2. WonkoTheSane
    Alert

Three-sided?

Samsung have invented the Tobleronophone?

1. Frogmelon

Re: Three-sided?

Toblerphone? :p

3. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Phone-Notification overload!!

Am I the only one who is constantly turning OFF notification methods on these phones?

And all these companies want to do is sell me a stupid watch or phone with even MORE notifications?

If I left the default notifications on my phone, I would get a buzz, a jingle, and a constantly blinking light 24-hours a day for the following:

- spam email

- spam texts

- apps that want updated

- apps that have auto-updated themselves

- apps that just want more love and attention

- apps that think I should install other apps

- texts from my phone company about apps it thinks I should install

- "emergency" weather phone calls and texts from local government in the middle of the night any time we get a half inch of rain (they must have all bought the same auto-dialers recently - this is becoming a real nuisance)

Default notifications can turn into a buzz-beep-blink-fest from 2am to 4am - prime sleeping hours. They are a constant distraction when I'm trying to work during the day. I've turned off as many of them as I can. I don't need new devices to give me more notifications - just be a phone and ring when I get a call - I can check my own mail inbox, thank you very much. I don't need 3-sided phone notifications or watch notifications or car dashboard notifications.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Phone-Notification overload!!

I use tasker to silence the phone at times, especially at night since noise while you sleep reduces the quality of your sleep.

4. Anonymous Coward
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Prior Art

I'm pretty sure that they are not talking about making a triangle phone, but adding a thin screen to either sides of the phone.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would rather that they bring the touchpad from the notebooks to the phones. In this case the touchpad would only cover a small area on either sides of the phone; moving your thump on that touchpad would help keep the screen cleaner. Basically, sliding your thump on that touchpad = moving your finger on the screen, but on a smaller area.

// assuming that the touchpad is on the left side of the phone

- slide your thump from under the phone to above = sliding your finger on the screen from left to right (change page, move left)

- slide your thump from up to down on the touchpad = sliding your finger from the middle of the screen to down (scroll the screen).

- etc.

I'd rather have that with a longer battery life than having another screen on the side.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I would rather that they bring the touchpad from the notebooks to the phones."

They did that. It's called Blackberry. They're not very popular.

6. cs94njw

Contract runs out in April. Still not seen any technology which makes me want to upgrade my S3.

Bought my S3 for the NFC capabilities, but nothing happened there :(

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Old News

We saw this phone demoed months ago now. Side screens for text and email alerts if your phone is face down on the table at a meeting.

"The jury’s still out on flexible displays, although like wearable technology it seems to be an area Samsung is prepared to invest in to stay one step ahead of Apple and advance its reputation as a technology innovator."

Of course Samsung will be ahead of Apple. Apple buys Samsung parts and pays someone to put them together. Anything Samsung does will continue to follow with Apple just as it always has.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Samsung has the ability to make flexible screens, so now

They're trying desperately to find a use for them so they'll have a reason to make them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like