"on the grounds of consistency, easing central support, and economies of scale ... but to my knowledge that never came to fruition"
Says it all about the Public Sector really. They have an unlimited supply of tax-payer funding with no ownership so why would they try and become efficient?
I think I could save the UK £1 Billion pounds on my first day at work if I was in charge of the NHS:
- Tender for a UK-wide public sector mobile phone contract with one supplier, 2 basic handset to choose from
- Tender for a UK-wide contract for all NHS consumables (bandages, syringes, saline, etc)
- No First / Business class travel (all of the public sector)
- No bonuses (all of the public sector)
- Create a standard desktop build for the public sector (yes, there will be exceptions)
- Use open source software
- Secondments from Private Sector to the Public Sector (to change the culture)
- Build a Premier Inn style hotel in London and make MPs / Lords live in it (with suitable security)
Please feel free to add to the list...