back to article Australia hobbles self in tech tax chase

Australia's new government will not pursue an initiative its predecessor advanced as a way to crack down on technology companies' tax-minimisation schemes. Australia's newly-elected treasurer (think Chancellor of the Exchequer for UK readers, Secretary of the treasury for those Stateside) Joe Hockey today announced a raft of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Cliff

I like Australians

When they realise their government is in Murdoch's pocket they'll revolt and lynch the lot of them. I hope. Don't let me down!

1. Diogenes

Re: I like Australians

Why should we revolt ? The adults are back in charge again. Rudd had no problem with Murdochs's endorsement in '07 and believe you me Rudd & Gillard made Blair & Cameron look competent .

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

You should revolt because your choice of governments are "incompetent, bigoted jackasses" and "bigoted, incompetent jackasses."

Unless, of course, you like bigotry and incompetence. In which case, embrace both of your options.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

"The adults are back in charge again."

These "adults" are the ones who have bent over backwards apologising to all of the leaders of our neighbouring nations for the insulting ways in which they referred to them during the "we have no policies, but murdoch and me say the other guys are bad" election campaigns.

These "adults" who refuse to answer any questions, refuse to divulge any information about policies, and their effectiveness, take credit for Labors policy successes (ie: The PNG solution kicking in and Toned Abs taking credit for a reduction in boat arrivals).

Now we have Hoe Jockey failing to live up to the promise of "fixing Labors deficit" by implementing policies which only serve to make it worse, putting an even bigger burden on the tax payers pocket.

These adults who promise to be fiscally responsible, rort the system as bad as, if not worse, than what Labor was doing.

Dont kid yourself. Labor was shit, but these guys are festering pustules on the arse of a syphiltic whore.

2. Chris G

Very polite

I love the wording there in the last part of the article; polite to the point of not receiving a writ!

The thought you appear to have had occurred to me as I read the headline and little changed after reading the article.

So offshore retirement villa, post ministerial seat on board,new car, washing machine come to mind!

3. TheProf
    Joke

Any relation to

Joe Six-pack?

(Sorry, it just sprang to mind and annoyed me so I decided to share it.)

4. Denarius
    Flame

so far

the only people who seem to have lost income seem to be the low income and ATO.

5. Shagbag

The rapacious, money-hungry ATO beast is at it again

With Australia's Franking Credit System the clearest indicator that Corporate Taxes are nothing more than a pre-payment of shareholders' Personal Income Tax, it now decides that foreigners (not resident shareholders) should pay Australian tax on an Australia citizen's offshore purchases. I fail to see the difference between an Australian who buys a suit from a HongKong tailor while in HongKong on holiday, and when he buys another suit from the same HongKong tailor, but when he's back in Oz using the internet. Is 'being in the country when you clicked the mouse' really grounds for determining the source of the income? Why should the HongKong tailor have to pay any Australian tax? He doesn't live there. He doesn't use any of its public services. IMHO, the ATO has no moral right to put their hand in his pocket but, clearly, they think they do.

Shame Australia. Shame.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like