back to article Nokia shows off camera gimmicks to PIMP YOUR PICCIES

Nokia introduced some new imaging technology which allows your Facebook chums to interact and fiddle with the depth field on your photos while you do the same to theirs. As illustrated in a couple of examples here, you’ll be able to refocus an image after it’s been taken, choosing to highlight a foreground object or the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. hammarbtyp

Got to hand it to Nokia

The imaging division is pretty innovative. However I'm sure Microsoft HR department will be able to fix that

2. TheFiddler

Finally those cop shows can be realistic...

...where they randomly sharpen bits of the photos to see what's happening in the background.

1. Professor Clifton Shallot

Re: Finally those cop shows can be realistic...

When it gets Blade Runner good then I am buying.

3. bg2b

DNG export = WooHoo!

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, what good does it do to have more pixels in your sensor if the light isn't focused when it arrives? My understanding was that there was some fundamentally novel chicanery going on with the way the Lytro sensor worked; I'm not seeing how what Nokia is claiming could be accomplished with a single shot of a conventional sensor, regardless of resolution...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, turns out it's a cheat - according to another bit I read, it fires off eight or ten shots, presumably at different focus settings. I'm guessing it then builds an in-focus / out-of-focus map for each shot (or maybe squashes it into a rough depth map) and crossfades between them depending on where you click.

Marketing gimmick.

Obviously they're doing a little work to match up the images, but that's pretty simple stuff. I'd guess that the higher pixel resolution may give them a leg up in determining high frequency content of a given area of the image (which is how you tell if it's in-focus - if there's a lot of high frequency content, it must be in focus; if not, it probably (but not definitely) isn't).

It's a nifty thing in and of itself, but to act like they have something special going on because of it is disingenuous at best.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

which would make it akin to focus stacking, not so much of a gimmick, given dedicated softwares are required and pros do it for "artistic effect"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>I'm not seeing how what Nokia is claiming could be accomplished with a single shot of a conventional sensor, regardless of resolution...

They aren't. Lytro is a plenoptic camera. Nokia (and Sony, probs others too) have smartphones with miniaturised microlens arrays coming out next year though.

5. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Man

I am so out of my depth in this field.

Thankfully, the comments are more useful than usual. So 'tis actually multiple shots and a blending of data ?

Won't that pretty much kill battery life as we know it ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like