back to article Hands up, who couldn't post to Facebook today? Oh, MILLIONS of you

People have actually started doing proper work this afternoon after Facebook users complained they cannot post status updates on the social network. Many naturally took to Twitter to sound off about the free content ad-network's sudden wobble. The Register asked Facebook to explain what had gone wrong, but for now it is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Posting images also seems to be problematic.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of people that Cat Call

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Coat

They were running it on a Surface RT

and upgraded it to 8.1

Coat, yeah I know.

3. Lee D Silver badge

"Non-essential website has slight technical problems for while"

This is news? Please don't follow Slashdot's example here (and, yes, they did an "article" on this too).

Sure, if Google crashes worldwide, that's a story. If a tax website breaks and people can't submit tax forms in time, that's a story. But a Facebook "error occurred"? Really? What next, are you going to report every 404 or Internal Server Error?

No website, no matter how big, is 24/7. I wouldn't WANT it to be. It means someone is spending an inordinate amount of money on redundancy and not enough on maintenance / testing.

Seriously, Reg, don't go downhill like Slashdot. I'd expect this to rate minor footnote on the bottom of a recent Facebook article discussing something else entirely, at best.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What are you talking about? One of the most popular websites in the world isn't working, and that's not news?

You don't expect it to be 24/7? Servicing a worldwide userbase? Where are you posting from, the 1980s?

You're not interested, is what you mean. Meanwhile, the rest of us, who are interested in tech news, especially how tech giants function, and fail, are interested. Get over it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Lee D: "This is news?"

NO! This is GREAT news!

4. Jerky Jerk face

Oh noes!!!

What with the internet do without a few hours worth of cat pics and status updates about taking a crap!

Turn FB off for a week and watch as dozens of people emerge into the real world again, pale and frightened :P

1. Amorous Cowherder

It may surprise you to learn that a lot of people run business via FB as they get access to a potential audience of over a billion people. Creative types like photographers and artists can advertise to people looking for services or images.

So while most of it is full absolute fecking dross, some of it is useful to quite a few people.

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge
    Trollface

Imagine the possible surge in productivity of Farcebook updates and El Reg comments were unavailable at the same time? MS might even produce a usable word processor!

1. Steven Raith

I've got a few other forums I can fall back to before I have to do actual work*

Redundancy and backups, dude. Redundancy and backups.

Steven R

*Obviously, I do actually work, like a fiend - I'm just so good at multitasking that I can do four jobs at once and it looks like I'm just jacking around on forums all the time....

6. M7S
    Joke

Complaining in the wrong place surely?

What's wrong with Second Life?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Complaining in the wrong place surely?

The Second Life Avatars' Facebook pages are borked too...

7. dssf

Maybe it is down INTENTIONALLY

So that the major intel agencies of the world can synchronize their warez... Maybe a few weeks ago a private bug report outed some of the major ones?

8. wolfetone Silver badge

In a nursing home somewhere in the world...

Tom Anderson is quielty laughing to himself while he writes a comment on The Ting Tings MySpace music page.

9. VinceH

Optional

My obligatory link for when FaecesBook is down or not working properly:

Ten things you could be doing rather than using Facebook

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

Watch the TV? That's the extent of your imagination.

Thanks for playing, but no thanks

1. Yet Another Commentard

Vince

Maybe we need a sort of "notfacebook.com" website full of alternative things to do, a bit like a "why don't you... " on the internet.

May I add as a couple of suggestions "brew beer", "sort out the loft and play with your old lego", "learn to speak Arrapahoe" etc etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Go down the shed perhaps?

2. VinceH
          Happy

@Yet Another Commentard

"Why don't you just switch off the facebook web page and go and do something less boring instead?"

I think that's how it went, but I could be wrong.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Watch the TV? That's the extent of your imagination.

Thanks for playing, but no thanks"

I bet you're the type salivating at the release of XBox One!

3. VinceH

"Watch the TV? That's the extent of your imagination."

If you're going to refer to one item out of ten listed and conclude that's the extent of my imagination, I'd call that a severe maths fail and suggest you go back to school. If you'd concluded that amounted to ten percent of my imagination, that would at least have made more sense.

As for why I suggested something as lame and unimaginative as watching TV, well, I would have thought the rest of that suggestion, beyond the first three words, is a bit of a clue.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

10. That Awful Puppy
    Pint

I'm sure ...

... that the El Reg commentards and the rest of the world will be relieved to hear I just managed to post a status update.

11. Crisp

"posting status updates on the free content ad network"

"posting status updates on the content free ad network"

FTFY

1. Morphius
      Pint

Re: "posting status updates on the free content ad network"

I withdraw my comment on the basis you got there before me....

Bah humbug.... have a pint!

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
    Flame

Productivity suddenly surges in the offices

They all call the IT department to find out why the internets broken

14. ElectricFox
    Thumb Up

Well thank god the Register's forums are here to take up the slack!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Many naturally took to Twitter to sound off about Facebook's sudden wobble"

"Naturally" makes twatter and fakebook normal. It isn't!

16. Pen-y-gors

I thought it was just me!

First time I've posted anything to FB in many months (just a plug for a client - honest) and I got the error - thought it was something I'd done (like use a photo of Zuck for my profile)

17. Arachnoid
    IT Angle

Update facebook is back up

OH NOOOOOOO!!!!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wishful thinking

if only the outage were permanent.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24608499

19. Bucky 2

In other news...

I didn't even notice the Facebook thing.

On the other hand, Cheezburger was down most of Saturday.

Now THAT gave me a sad face.

20. veti Silver badge

What will the headlines be

... when Twitter goes down?

Or will everyone be too ashamed to admit they were trying to use it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like