back to article Japanese pussies slurp 'meow meow' sex wine

Those cat-lovers among you who fear your beloved feline might feel left out at birthday and Xmas celebrations are directed to this tempting tipple - a brew of Cabernet grape juice, catnip and vitamin C dubbed "Nyan Nyan Nouveau". A bottle of Nyan Nyan Nouveau For a modest ¥399 ($4, £2.50) a bottle, cats can join the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

so what is the correct pronunciation?

Nee Ahn? Nye Ann? Inquiring minds need to know (what to ask for when visiting the Land of the Rising Sun)

1. NorthernCoder
      Coat

Re: so what is the correct pronunciation?

Couldn't you just ask for the House of the Rising Sun?

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

were I in New Orleans, yes.

2. Luke McCarthy

Not "nee-ann" (two syllables) but exactly as spelled as (one syllable).

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This pussy can "nyan nyan" for *ten hours straight*

Here's the correct pronounciation:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZZ7oFKsKzY

You should watch the *entire* length of the video and carefully repeat exactly what it says in full. If you make any mistakes, start again.

4. Spleen

The correct pronunciation is Ñian-Ñian. The 'n' sounds a bit like the first 'n' in the Spanish 'mañana'. And as said above, each 'nyan' is one syllable, not two. And it should rhyme with 'yarn-yarn' (appropriately enough), not 'can-can'.

Obviously, neither 'nyan' nor 'meow' sounds anything like a cat noise, anymore than a cat talking to you sounds like English. James Joyce's "Mrkgnao" is as good an onomatopoeia as any.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The first syllable is Ni, somewhere between the knights who say ni and your knee, but the next is lowwer and smaller, meaning that the previous runs into it. This second syllable is ya, with a hard a such as would be used in hat or cat, rather than ah or car. The third syllable is n, except it's not quite like an English n or N, it is like the very last bit of saying "an" but think shorter. The upshot is nee-ya-n.

6. Frumious Bandersnatch

"Nya" is a combination of the syllables 'ni' (as in knights who say) and "ya" (short 'a' sound, as in cat). When the two syllables are combined, the 'i' vowel sound is dropped.

If you had a friend called Jan (pronounced Yan), and stuck an 'n' sound in front of it, that's pretty much what 'nyan' sounds like in Japanese.

Various syllables in Japanese (ki, shi, chi, ni, mi, hi, all of which rhyme with a shorter version of the English "me") can have ya, yu or yo attached to them like this and the 'i' sound is always dropped. A case in point is Tokyo, which is definitely not pronounced toe-kee-o, but actually more like it's spelled, with 'kyo' being a single distinct syllable sound.

(*Only the 'o' vowels in "Tokyo" are long, so it's often romanised as "Tōkyō", but that's a different matter)

2. DuncanL

Defeats Google translate...

in an amusing fashion...

"It is after it has ended up pussy get along two people in bed, in a dose"

1. Darryl

Re: Defeats Google translate...

What do you about talking? Excellent sense make it.

3. Khaptain Silver badge
    Linux

Risqué

El Reg promoting Pussy Juice........ even though the bottle/label looks was made by Slapper and Co.

------------>>>> Tux is happy at the idea

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Risqué

Did someone mention my Pussy?

http://www.gracebrothers.net/mrs_slocombes_pussy_quotes.htm

4. Faye B
    Paris Hilton

Pussy juice?

Lap it up fellas. I think we can all see where the Paris Hilton angle is here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Headline of the week!

...if not month.

lol, keyboard/coffee icon if I wasn't anon

6. David Given

So basically what you're saying is...

...nyan nyan is snoo snoo?

1. frank ly

Re: So basically what you're saying is...

No no, snoo snoo make boo hoo after woo woo.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dangerous

On the serious side, grapes are known to be toxic to at least some cats and dogs. I seriously hope there is no actual grape juice in it: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/grapes-raisins-dogs-cats-warning.shtml

The CNBC article (http://www.cnbc.com/id/101123574) mentions that most cats wouldn't even drink it, which is good at least.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Grapes kill cats...

In case anyone gets the idea to import, please think twice... grapes tend to cause acute kidney failure in felines

9. Jonathan 27

Yeah...

Nyan-nyan is also baby-talk for cat (and several other things), I really don't think the makers of this product are going for the sex angle so half your story doesn't make any sense.

P.S. Nyan is one syllable, N as in the consonant N followed by yan like the chinese surname Yan. All in one syllable and yes this is a stupid product.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yeah...

>Nyan-nyan is also baby-talk for cat

It's not "baby talk" in the sense of goo goo ga ga.. Japanese adults use onomatopoeia a lot in daily conversation. Baby talk for cat would be nyan-chan if anything.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yay!

It's another one of those "ain't Japan crazy!" articles.. even better it's directly lifted from that high quality source Kotaku.

11. skeptical i

'Nyan Nyan' pronounced vaguely like 'Nyah Nyah'?

As in "Nyah nyah, nyah nyah, I got some last night, did you?"?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: 'Nyan Nyan' pronounced vaguely like 'Nyah Nyah'?

Are you 10 years old?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like