back to article Indonesia becomes MOST DANGEROUS place on the internet

Indonesia has had the dubious honour of supplanting China as the number one source of attack traffic globally in the second quarter, according to the latest stats from content delivery and security firm Akamai. The vendor’s State of the Internet report for Q2 found Indonesia accounted for 38 per cent of the world’s attack …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Attribution is troublesome

A lot of Indian-originated "You've got a problem with your computer"/"Ping" scam phone and internet traffic routes out via Indonesia to (usually) western targets/marks...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confused

Showing my ignorance here but what does: "highest average peak connection" mean? as in:

"South Korea remains the home of the world's speediest average connections at 13Mbps, while Hong Kong comes top for highest average peak connection speed (65.1Mbps)."

As South Korea beats HK for average that would mean HK average connection peaks are more than five times the overall average?

3. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

Geography vs Equipment Choice

I would guess that the combination of tablets and smartphones becoming more prevalent than desktops and laptops and the expansion into markets that previously did not have high personal computer use is and will continue to drive the change in the origin of the relative amounts of malware. Just because the US is down in proportion to the rest of the world does not indicate that the overall amount of attack traffic coming out of it is down.

expanding markets + new devices = new opportunities

... for criminals, too.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Define 'attack'. If it's got to do with endangering the likes of certs, planting malware, intercepting and storing almost every bit of data for ultimately who knows what ends, then I believe that Indonesia and even China are waaay down the list compared with some other so-called 'friendly' countries.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like