back to article Sorry fanbois, no supersize Apple fondleslabs for you

A well known Apple soothsayer has predicted that the fruity firm is cooking up a cheaper iMac, a new size of Macbook and a fondleslab armed with higher-resolution display. However, KGI Securities anaylst Ming-Chi Kuo dismissed industry talk of the arrival of a chunkier sixth generation iPad, which might be too big and clumsy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kebablog

    Form?

    "Kuo has form on Apple predictions, having forecast the arrival of a Retina iMac this year and the demise of the 17" iMac "

    I think you're getting your Macs confused.

    1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      FAIL

      Re: Form?

      Perhaps it should be the 27in one that is going? Personally, I find that display to be very good and then there is a little matter of it having been updated not that long ago.

  2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

    "which might be too big and clumsy for vain fanbois to cart around in their trendy satchels."

    Erudite, fact based, insightful, smart. How can anyone hope to better the high standards of this writing.

    /s

    1. Frankee Llonnygog

      I predict that Apple will release a tablet sized to fit Mr Hamill's docking station

      You know - the one where he normally parks his bike

  3. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

    40% resolution is like 3D TV

    Hardly anyone needs it, hardly anyone will be able to see the difference, hardly anyone will want to pay extra for it or pay to upgrade for it.

    1. returnmyjedi

      You could apply that logic to a fair few of the features that Apple rolls out each year.

  4. Khaptain Silver badge

    Hungry vulture hovers over the rotten fruit

    Speculating about speculation....

  5. Dexter

    The dogs bark

    but the caravan moves on

    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

      Re: The dogs bark

      But who is the dog and who is the caravan?

      Seems that Android is the caravan - 1.5 million devices activated per day, 80% smartphone share, 67% tablet share, 900+ million total activated devices.

      Apple's loss of market share over the past year is eerily similar to what Blackberry experienced three years ago...

      1. Andy Nugent

        Re: The dogs bark

        Not really similar to BlackBerry, in that Apple are still selling significant numbers of devices at a much higher margin that everyone else. I predict a PC-esque smartphone market where Apple = Apple (~10% market share, but at the high price end) and Android = Windows (the other ~90%, everything from dirt cheap upwards), with anomalies in countries with high number of contract / subsidised "free" phones where people don't realise or care (as it's such a small fraction of the cost of the network service, e.g. USA) how much they're paying for the Apple kit. Apple may never hit the peaks they've previously seen, but they'll be making lots of money for the foreseeable future.

        1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

          Re: The dogs bark

          >I predict a PC-esque smartphone market where Apple = Apple (~10% market share, but at the high price end) and Android = Windows (the other ~90%, everything from dirt cheap downwards),

          FTFY

          1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

            Re: The dogs bark

            @AC 18:59 - "Android = Windows (the other ~90%, everything from dirt cheap downwards)"

            And yet, many of the bestselling Android toys cost as much or more than the iToys. A new Galaxy Note 3 will set you back about $800 off contract. I wish I could get a Note 3 for "dirt cheap".

            1. rcorrect

              Re: The dogs bark

              And yet, many of the bestselling Android toys cost as much or more than the iToys. A new Galaxy Note 3 will set you back about $800 off contract. I wish I could get a Note 3 for "dirt cheap".

              Maybe he could have worded it better but it is a good analogy. In general, Apple will be known for selling high quality phones. There will always be exceptions. And frankly, let Apple have that damn 10% market share. Even as a Mac user, I would rather have an Android rather than an iPhone due to increased competition by manufacturers and it being an open platform.

        2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

          Re: The dogs bark

          Blackberry still had a good profit margin per phone 3 years ago.

          Not so much today...

        3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

          Re: The dogs bark

          Just a thought, don't buy any lottery tickets this week.

      2. ThomH Silver badge

        Re: The dogs bark; fact check @Andy Prough

        Apple marketshare in Q2 2012 was 18.8%, with 28.9m shipments. As of Q2 2013 share had dropped to 14.2%, but shipments were up to 31.9m. Source: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2573415

        So, Apple: marketshare down 25%; shipments up 10%.

        Between Q2 2010 and Q2 2011, RIM's shipments increased from 11.6m to 12.7m. Share dropped from 18.7% to 11.7%. Source: http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/1764714

        So, BlackBerry: marketshare down 37%; shipments up 4%.

        I couldn't find Q3 2013 figures, but the quarter ended less than half a month ago. I picked the quarter in which RIM performed best.

        By Q4 RIM were, year on year, at 40% marketshare decline and an 11% decline in shipments. So if your comparison is correct then Apple's fortunes should decline very quickly.

        However by using Q3 numbers, I have completely overlooked any effect the iPhone 5S/C may have on Apple's fortunes. So I'd suggest that Apple's decline isn't going to mirror BlackBerry's. Q3 and Q4 will probably show significant shipment increases if reports so far about the 5S are correct; the question is how deeply sales will dip in the middle of next year when the bump of a new product launch fades again.

  6. Arachnoid

    iPad 3DS

    So whats the chances they follow this route and have a 3D screen hee hee

  7. Paul Crawford Silver badge

    My wish list

    Please Apple, could you consider as laptop with:

    A bigger 16:10 screen, say 17", with at least 1200 lines resolution.

    A proper Ethernet connector.

    A price in the ~£1k range (or less, but lets not ask for Unicorns here).

    A keyboard the gets rid of "Caps Lock"

    A touch pad that is off to the side of the keyboard, so folk don't graze it with palms while typing.

    Thanks...

  8. DougS Silver badge

    Where's the market for a bigger tablet?

    Smaller tablets are selling better than bigger ones, a 13" tablet would be a tiny niche product because it would compromise the portability versus a laptop that is the reason many tablet owners bought one in the first place.

    Making the iPad screen denser seems unlikely to me, though if they come out with a tablet that has "40% more pixels" a bigger one is far more likely than a denser one of the same size. Hate quote a meme, but "2048x1536 ought to be enough for anyone" (in a 10" tablet) Yeah iPhone has higher dpi but you tend to hold it closer to your face. Apple tends to prefer doubling dimensions when they increase resolution, and 4096x3072 would be just ridiculous and pointless, and would waste a lot of the GPU's power dealing with that many pixels when most already can't see the pixels on the iPad (non-Mini) during normal use.

  9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

    Just when you thought it was dead .....

    The Return Of The Netbook ....

    The 12 inch Macbook in calendar '14 with a clamshell design.

    1. hungee
      Stop

      Just for the record

      Asus, Dell and Lenovo are about to release new "netbook 2.0" style convertibles at a low low price. It is very exciting.

      The Transformer T100 is especially cool.

      I am saying this just to be clear. Apple will not have not "invented" the new netbook or something similar.

      ok.. I am off to go ogle my next computer. mmm..... netbook 2.0

  10. jubtastic1
    Megaphone

    Rumours!, Getyourlatestspplerumours!

    Straight out of the hat, get em while they're fresh

  11. This post has been deleted by its author

  12. Arachnoid

    Maybe just maybe

    A three by two inch screen that straps to the wrist like a watch :D

This topic is closed for new posts.

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2019