back to article Brazil whacks PRISM with secure email plan

A week after joining a consortium calling for the USA's currently cold, dead, fingers to be pried off the internet's internal machinery, Brazil has announced that it will develop a secure e-mail system to try and protect its government-level communications against American spying. The nation's President Dilma Rousseff used the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Does Brazil not have ...

... a secure, air-gapped network for proprietary government systems?

The mind fucking boggles ... numpties.

1. CAPS LOCK

Re: Does Brazil not have ...

Air-gapping leads to a false sense of safety. Just ask the Iranians.

2. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Nice air gap you have there sir.

LOL - of course we all think we have good secure systems but quite honestly, most of the time we just think that - anyone here old enough to remember TEMPEST?

It strikes me that there's an opportunity here for a secure email provider to set up shop in South America and offer services around the world.

2. frank ly

It took three tweets and still didn't say much

She should use a proper news and notices website, with an RSS feed.

3. Schultz

Damn those terrorist-lovin' south Americans.

So who is still on Team America?

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: Damn those terrorist-lovin' south Americans.

oh c'mon commendards, what's with your sense of irony?

4. Amorous Cowherder

Once again another foreign government pretending to be offended to keep us proles happy, the US Feds will cut them a "looksy" at the data in exchange for not going through with any security stuff.

1. Rol

I doubt any nation in the world would accept having a peek at the NSA database as recompense for the loss of their security.

If I discovered the landlord at my local pub was pissing in the beer, him letting me have a piss in it also, isn't a solution, nor would his promises of never to piss in mine again be trusted.

No, it's time to find another provider, yes they too might be pissing in the beer, but at least there's a chance they might not, that they may prefer customers to having a slash in the barrel?

5. Scroticus Canis
    Coat

Pissing in the beer?

So that's how they make "real ale" taste so revolting, did wonder.

Make mine something Germanic in a sealed bottle or can please landlord!

Getting me coat because I ain't drinking in the same pub as Rol.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I can't think of a pressing reason to trust Brazil more than the US. At the end of the day; it's still going to be the same power-crazed fucktards trying to carve themselves a slice of the pie. A FOSS secure email system would be infinitely better.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

This is supposed to be secure email for within the Brazilian government and not about the rest of the world.

Yes, most of El Reg readers know and have known for years that email is, in almost every case, as secure as a post card, but it still ends up being used with some expectation of privacy. Now they know, rather than suspect, that the NSA hoovered it all up (J Edgar'd it up?) they feel it is something to bring back under national control.

As for the rest of us, until we can get and manage some sort of open/free public key system and have an interoperable email standard that "just works" for kids to granny's computers without any technical knowledge, then we (as in the public) are still out in the open.

1. MrDamage Silver badge
        Devil

NSA hoovered it all up (J Edgar'd it up?)

You got your whistleblowers confused.

Bradley/Chealsea Manning was the crossdresser, not Snowden.

<- closest icon they have that looks like a handbag

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Paul Crawford

Apologies. I bounced through the article after a long day and assumed that (yeah, assumed) they were talking about secure intertubes for everyone; and that -furthermore- they had some semblance of organisational skills.

But actually, if you read the article, it's an attempted power grab.

If the Brazilian government don't have private email then it's their own damned fault and they should be ashamed.

---Begin invoice-----8<------------------------

ATTENTION BRAZILIAN GOVERNMENT

Stop using Gmail

</massively expensive consultancy>

That'll be $5000 USD, thankyouverymuch

---End invoice--------8<------------------------

P.S. Setting up your own email isn't that hard.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like