back to article HP unleashes OneView admin tool on lazy, uncooperative servers

IT admins, polish up those online gaming skills because HP is coming for your job. Again. The new OneView management platform for HP BladeSystems, and Proliant Generation 8 and 7 servers was announced by HP on Wednesday with bold claims of dramatically shortened provisioning times and easier management than ever before. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About time for SIM to go

The sooner HP SIM dies in a fire, the better.

It's a pity I won't be able to replace SIM in a hurry though - this tool is very promising, but it's not much help if you aren't running the newest kit (plenty of G5/G6 still out there), or if you've got EVA arrays.

Good to see they're not just trying to force more cruft on SIM, but rebuilding from the ground up.

1. TheVogon

Re: About time for SIM to go

Starts at $799 PER SERVER ?! What planet are they on?

2. Pond

Optional

Pity they haven't given us the option to mirror a failing disk onto a hot spare just to be safe rather than having to pull it out to force a disk failure. Pity they haven't addressed the problem of disks roaming to invalid slots.

New shiny software is all well and good but these old limitations are still in the firmware and haven't been addressed.

3. Ant Evans

Moonshot wot

Does this manage moonshot wimpy nodes? At that price, I'm guessing not. And if not, does it make any sense?

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2013/04/08/hp_moonshot_server_launch/

4. Bill the Sys Admin

Well at $800 dollars a server they wont be getting many customers pah!

1. Richard 26

If you're in the target market, which is for data centres that run shedloads of premium branded servers, I doubt $800 each would be much of an obstacle, if the software really is a time saver.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Buy in volume and I'll bet you can negotiate 60-70% discount on the license cost. Maybe more.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like