back to article AMD's beating HEART of Internet of Things: 64-bit ARMs head for gadgets

AMD has announced the roadmap for a chunk of its business that's critical to its effort to "transform" the company from its dependence on PCs and x86 servers: the embedded market. Perhaps one indication of AMD's aggressiveness can be deduced from the code names of its next four embedded parts – they're all named after birds of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What surprises me constantly

is how well AMD are doing on the low power front (compared to the high power front)

As a comparison.

1: Personal experience for me is that the AMD low power stuff has been far better than intels ATOM

2: They seem to use less power (Intels embedded dual core is 6w, vs AMDs 5)

3: They achieve this on a higher process ( AMD 32nm vs Intel 22nm)

I imagine point 1 is due mostly to the GPU, because lets face it, Intels embedded GPUs have been.... yeah. I do hope that one day AMD catch up in terms of manufacturing process, perhaps if they too could get down to 22nm they might have a chance of competing on power again in the higher end market.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What surprises me constantly

Yup. They REALLY shafted themselves when they flogged off the fab. Short term gain for long term pain: Awesome decision that.

Totally agree with your other points too. They have some very compelling offerings in the laptop market right now. Compelling for efficiency, performance AND price!... and the ATI GPUs are certainly a major contribution to that. Hope the big ARM push goes well for them...

2. Gordan

ARM Micro Devices

Only a matter of time...

3. BillG
    Mushroom

It's not that simple

Embedded is about reputation. For example, Intel screwed thousands of customers when they suddenly decided to exit embedded in 1995 and their reputation still hasn't recovered.

Getting involved in Embedded is all about reputation. It really isn't enough to just show up with working parts, that's the easy part. Technical, product, and logistical support for embedded processors is of a NASA-level of complexity.

I once let a competitor win an embedded socket because I knew they were not prepared for the logistics involved. I was right and they never were allowed to quote at that customer again.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Infernoz Bronze badge
    Happy

Retail Mobos please

I hope these AMD ARM APUs get put on Retail Boards, with decent I/O, and AMD provide ample help to Linux and FreeBSD developers, so that Intel is further sidelined, and we get proper low power and fast gear, at quite affordable prices.

1. kain preacher

Re: Retail Mobos please

I wounder if that happens, would MS release a non crippled version of windows RT ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all good

AMD's diversification is good and will result in better company stability and expanded product portfolio for both embedded and consumer products. Right now AMD is gaining market share and new segment wins in amazing numbers.

7. ops4096

Hardware encryption

I note that the Hierofalcon and some of the Avoton Atom SoC have hardware encryption co-processors. Given that, post Snowdon, many many ordinary and corporate consumers will be switching to https and using Tor and ciphers much more regularly are there any plans to release hardware encryption to other market segments additional to the microserver market ? I think there's a real opportunity for pc and laptop makers here. Additionally, would anybody care to speculate as to the possibility that the NSA may have leaned on Intel and AMD in an effort to compromise these co-processors ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like