back to article Fancy some BEER ON TOAST? Italy invents spreadable booze

Italian foodies have invented a way for beer lovers to enjoy their favourite drink for breakfast - without the risk of being forced to attend those troublesome Alcoholics Anonymous meetings. Chocolatier Napoleone and brewery Alta Quota, both based in the central Italian province of Rieti, have joined forces to create the world …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul J Turner

No judgement until I've tried it

Because I love that other beer-derived product, Marmite, on my toast.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No judgement until I've tried it

Inventions like this are why they lost WW2.

1. seven of five

Re: No judgement until I've tried it

They did not lose WWII, they switched sides.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Honest

Honest gnoffiser I hap only had two pieces of toast this morning hic,hic.......

1. SeymourHolz

....only toe pieces of toost...

2. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Deconstructed Marmite

Surely not!

Curse these molecular gastronomists!

3. jake Silver badge

This is new?

I have both Marmite & Vegemite in my fridge at all times ... and I'm working on a similar spread from the lees after I bottle my wine. Crush (now) is a good time of year :-)

1. frank ly

Re: This is new?

The last time I (accidentally) drank the lees from home made beer, I manufactured my own very spreadable product about twelve hours later.

1. jake Silver badge

The trick, frank ly, is to add just enough sugar (I'm using agave), to force the yeast to produce enough alcohol to suicide, without making the final product sweet. Seems to be working ... Third year of production, may or may not go commercial with it next year.

Agree that large quantities of active yeasties in the human digestive tract is contraindicated. Been there, done that. Probably will again, at some point, tasting is important ... :-)

2. naylorjs
        Thumb Up

New keyboard please, this one (now) has tea in it!

Brilliant.

2. Dom 3

Marmite and vegemite in the fridge? WHY?

1. Jan 0 Silver badge
        Facepalm

> Marmite and vegemite in the fridge? WHY?

Errm, presumably to make it so viscous that it's unspreadable. This is even more pointless than keeping butter in a 'fridge!

1. jake Silver badge

@Jan 0 (was: Re: This is new?)

I keep my butter (made on premises) in the freezer. Refrigerators tend to insert off-flavo(u)rs into oils ...

1. sabroni Silver badge
            Meh

Re: (made on premises)

from your own milk no doubt. Is there ANYTHING you can't or won't do?

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"from your own milk no doubt. Is there ANYTHING you can't or won't do?"

Yep, ol' Jake milks himself twice a day ;-)

2. jake Silver badge

I have four Jersey cows and a small handful of Belted Galloways. They give me ~6 bits o'beef per year, between them. In return, I milk them, as appropriate. I do cheese, butter, sour cream, yogurt, etc. Waste not want not.

There is plenty I can't do. There is little I will not attempt. I am alive. Are you?

1. Tom 7

thats cruel that is - making them Galloways dress up for you!

Mind you they do taste good with a pint of my special steak and ale homebrew and some pastry.

2. sabroni Silver badge
                Go

Re: There is little I will not attempt.

Could you try spending a week without making a single smug comment about your fantastic life and all the brilliant stuff you do?

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

I have won the formula 1 grand prix eight years in a row, single handed, on my pushbike. I regularly weave my own yoghurt from my rare breed alpaca-donkey hybrid's earwax. I invented pretty much everything that is of use today and much that is not. During my time in the military I achieved the highest confirmed kill rate in history in three campaigns over five continents. I play the financial markets and have managed the Rothschild estate for four generations. I wrote most of the songs by the Beatles. I have twenty children, all of whom graduated with first class honours from the best universities in the country before their fifth birthdays. I have climbed twelve of the world's highest mountains, four of which I was responsible for discovering and charting. My spiritual teachings inspired the Dalai Lama to take up Buhddism. I don't like to brag. I'm alive. You're clearly not even registering on the "I'm alive" scale by _my_ standards, are you?

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge

Stay thirsty, my friend.

2. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

I have won the formula 1 grand prix eight years in a row......

But you haven't invented spreadable beer, have you?

2. jake Silver badge

@Dom 3, Re:"WHY?" (was: Re: This is new?)

Because it's tasty, and I like having it around.

3. Martin Budden Silver badge

Marmite and vegemite in the fridge? WHY?

Perhaps he lives in Darwin. Those products (and many other foodstuffs) go mouldy up there unless refrigerated.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

We're going to need another 'beer' icon -> this one isn't going to cover it anymore.

1. Velv
      Happy

Nice. I see what you did there.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Beer and tart stuffing? Sounds like a perfect night out.

6. Steve Medway

Not new at all

I'm pretty sure this isn't an Italian 'invention', from memory Spreadable beer has been available in Japan for years.

7. illiad

erm, joking aside, will this have a good level of alcohol, or just be beer / Marmite flavoured????

and most strange things from japan, never usually make it to be **on sale** here... :(

8. tony2heads
    Flame

SWEET!!

Proper beer is not sweet! I am incensed

1. Tom 7

Re: SWEET!!

have to correct you there - had a pint of Jollyboat breweries Grenville's Renown yesterday. Sweet and really lovely. So I had another.

And what are you doing sticking joss-sticks in you ale?

1. Colin Brett

Re: SWEET!!

"had a pint of Jollyboat breweries Grenville's Renown yesterday. Sweet and really lovely. So I had another."

You stopped at TWO? Or were you just unable to order the third?

Colin

9. Lunatik

Incoming - the ultimate bacon sarnie?

White bread, crispy bacon, beer spread - The ultimate man food?

10. Patrick R
    Meh

I've tested chocolate beer. No thanks. I'm not expecting more of beer spreadable... Mixing everything is not always a good idea.

11. disgruntled yank

Or, you could just drink it

I'm not (lately) in the habit of having beer with breakfast, but if I don't have to share a road or programming project with you, why I should I care if you do?

This does sound a bit like the alcoholic ice cream in _The Best of Myles_, but that was intended to be comical.

12. pete 22
    Coat

"...garnish for tarts"

I rest my cake.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: "...garnish for tarts"

There is NOTHING better than a fruity tart smothered in beer!!!!

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: "...garnish for tarts"

There is nothing better than a fruity tart FULL OF beer.

alternatively

There is nothing better than a fruity tart in (possession of vast quantities of) beer.

FTFY.

13. Sean Timarco Baggaley

I get the impression they've been testing it on their marketing department as they must have been seriously tired and emotional when they came up with that name: "Birra Spalmabile" = "Spreadable Beer" in Italian.

14. Vociferous

Must've taken heaps of effort to "invent" this...

1) Buy agar from the local health store.

2) Heat 1g agar + a cup of beer to boiling, to dissolve the agar.

3) Pour the agar into 1 L of your favorite beer.

4) Stir and put it in the fridge for an hour to set.

5) Profit!

Jellyshots are made the same way. You can use gelatine instead of agar, but it's not as firm & stable as agar.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like