back to article Oz government-in-waiting releases new online child protection policy

Australia's Liberal/National coalition, the right-of-centre political bloc likely to take power after Saturday's general election, has released its second "Policy to Enhance Online Safety for Children" in 24 hours, and this time it has omitted a proposed national smut filter that would have applied to every new mobile phone and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Denarius
    Facepalm

Oz pollies contempt for the citizens

is only exceeded by their owners contempt for rational discussion and freedom to dissent. One day for the citizens to assess a few "costed policies" checked by that most economically reliable of all classes, business droids. Then we vote in reasonable knowledge of what we are voting for. And now this policy reversal on run. {S}

1. LaeMing
      Unhappy

Re: Oz pollies contempt for the citizens

For most people it's a cheap popularity contest anyway. In 4 years don't be surprised if we replace the elections with a televised dance-off complete with facile celebrity judges.

1. Thorne

A televised dance off is more entertaining than electing clowns.....

1. Anonymous C0ward

And it's like you're still watching the first couple of episodes all along, where the comically bad contestants haven't been ejected yet.

2. FozzyBear

What a friggin' waste of money, but then again a guess that's what the pollies want. A population that is ignorant and clueless,

3. silent_count

"Both the filtration policy and the social-media takedown policy seem at odds with the coalition's free-market philosophies."

As well as the coalition's newly-discovered commitment to freedom of speech, as reported on the front page of yesterday's Australian Newspaper (paywalled)

That said, I do believe that freedom of speech is important, and anyone who reduces the chances of people getting prosecuted for what they say gets my applause.

4. Martin Budden Silver badge
    Unhappy

sloooooooow

It's going to be so slow anyway under their fraudband, I guess they realised that adding a filter as well would cause it to grind to a complete halt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voRDjpR2m1w

5. MrDamage Silver badge

Politics

is simply reality TV for fat, ugly, old people.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. wayward4now
    Holmes

Why have "kids" on the net at all?

If they cannot give "genuine consent" then one would think that sites who pander to kids, while making a buck profiling them in the exact same fashion of "objectifaction" that all abusers share in common then, for "The Safety of the Kids", keep them off of what is most decidedly an Adult Social Media, where "genuine consent" may be safely assumed. I'm amazed that it isn't already illegal, when there are so many consent issues present wuth regards to minors. Ric

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like