Mac OS X, Safari and Cookies - Can't seem to get rid of message

This topic was created by Rob Willett .

1. Rob Willett

Mac OS X, Safari and Cookies - Can't seem to get rid of message

Hi,

I'm unclear who to ask so thought I'd throw this open for anybody to help.

I'm running a Macbook Pro, OS X 10.8.4 with Safari 6.0.5.

Every time I go to www.theregister.co.uk, I get the banner along the bottom of the screen asking if I am happy with cookies. I always accept this, but I still always get this when I return to the front page. I only get this type of constant asking for cookies on www.theregister.co.uk.

I have checked in the Safari Preferences ->Privacy that I accept cookies, I have checked that three cookies are actually set in Safari, regmedia.co.uk, theregister.co.uk and theregister.com. I can delete these cookies, I go back to www.theregister.co.uk, I am presented with the black bar along the bottom of the screen, I accept, the cookies are stored in Safari, I do not delete them, I go back to www.theregister.co.uk and I'm still presented with the black bar. I do not get the black bar on a number of other pages, such as these forum pages.

I have worked my way through blocking all cookies to allowing anybody to set a cookie, all with the same results. I always without exception get the black cookie bar at the bottom. As already said, I do not get this on other sites.

I don't have any extensions loaded to manage cookies.

Any help or sensible suggestions welcomed.

1. Rob Willett

Re: Mac OS X, Safari and Cookies - Can't seem to get rid of message

I know it's bad form to reply to your own message, but having tested this in Chrome and Firefox, I have identical results.

Does this mean that the black cookie bar at the bottom is always there, on first entry, no matter what cookies are set?

2. Milen A. Radev

Re: Mac OS X, Safari and Cookies - Can't seem to get rid of message

Confirmed with FF on Windows 7

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon