back to article Spanish mobile startup offers Firefox OS phones to world+dog

Geeksphone, the Spanish startup that launched the first commercially available Firefox OS developer phones in April, has announced that it will soon release a version of one of its handsets that's suitable for general consumers. The new phone is an improved version of the Peak, one of the two Firefox OS mobes the company …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Icons that have no rounded corners, they will be safe from Apple litigation.

Though the case appears a little Applesque to me.

1. DanielFriedrich
      Coat

One might say the icon corners have been rounded to the limit.

2. FredBloggsY
      Happy

"Though the case appears a little Applesque to me."

To me, it appeared a little like my 20 year old fridge-freezer. Once the epitome of cool style.

Ah, yes, I see what you mean.

2. JDX Gold badge

Will anyone get on board?

Aside from personal feelings about the idea of FF and Linux phones, I'd query that the big manufacturers will want to be producing handsets on such a wide range of OS. You want your preferred OS on a decent, competitive handset and surely you're not going to get Samsung releasing the same handset with a choice of OS?

Hell, manufacturers aren't even that interested in WindowsPhone - so are we going to rely on some dedicated company making phones for these bit player OS?

How is it planned to play out? Not an attack on FFOS I'll save that for another thread!) but a genuine question.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Will anyone get on board?

Nobody beat Windows on the desktop, so why is anything going to supplant iOS or Android?

2. JeevesMkII

Well, neither Ubuntu or Mozilla can possibly displace Android as today's dominant OS since they're both parasites on Android. Killing Android kills their access to the hardware, and neither Canonical nor Mozilla are equipped to do that grunt work without considerable restructuring of their core business.

That said, there are market niches that Android doesn't really serve. Most of them much downmarket of Android, in markets where keeping both BoM and support costs low are the order of the day. I really can't see them having any success with their everyman generic UIs though.

I preordered one. Not because I think B2G is much cop, just because it'll be a fun toy to hack so my real phone doesn't have to suffer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Well, neither Ubuntu or Mozilla can possibly displace Android as today's dominant OS since they're both parasites on Android."

And Android is a parasite of Linux ......... FOSS - that's all

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter. Have you heard of a thing called HTML5? It's not a phone for lemmings. I pre-ordered one as the offer they have now is a very good one and I don't need nor want the latest shiny thing from Samsung or Apple.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like