back to article Quantum: You know how EVERYONE's moved to the cloud? Yep... us too.

Disk and tape data protection provider Quantum is morphing into a cloud-based managed services provider, according to a company executive. Henrik Rosendahl, Quantum's senior veep for cloud solutions, confirmed the company's move away from hardware and into the cloud in a video interview at the 12th International Cloud Expo …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Down not across
    Thumb Down

Insert another coin to continue

He said customers were pulling Quantum along: "They're actually shifting the risk to the vendor. … They are moving away from tape and moving to disk and the cloud and we're riding that wave."

To some extent disk, sure. To cloud, unlikely. Perhaps that may be the case for limited number of SMEs, but any larger enterprise would have issues with the quantity of data (and thus requirement and cost of the connectivity should they consider cloud). Sensitivity is another issue. Companies tend to be quite protective of business sensitive/critical data.

Of course selling service is better for the vendor as it offers continual revenue stream not dependent on hardware upgrade cycles...

2. WatAWorld

Is the NSA subsidizing our move to "the cloud"

Is the NSA subsidizing our move to "the cloud"?

Is the reason for the fad of returning to "time shared systems" simply to make industrial espionage against foreign (e.g. EU) firms easier?

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

Re: Is the NSA subsidizing our move to "the cloud"

I should think this business with the NSA and Snowden may drive re-uptake of personal storage devices to some extent. I'd like to see Western Digital and Seagate's quarterly sales figures in three months' time. I predict we'll see some uptick in HDD sales.

2. tempemeaty

Re: Is the NSA subsidizing our move to "the cloud"

I think there's even something bigger afoot. The move to "time shared systems" is also about putting and end to PC usage in order to end it's manufacturing with the goal of ultimately getting them out of end user hands. The big movers and shakers in the world don't want that kind of power in the hands of us "useless eaters". (btw, IBMs own move away from x86 based servers is not going unnoticed)

3. Giles Jones Gold badge

Do cloud providers think about outsourcing? they would end up like Gas and Electricity companies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm beginning to think Cloud is just one big pyramid scheme. Someone somewhere must have some hardware, right?

1. Captain DaFt

Someone somewhere must have some hardware, right?

Well... there is that big server farm the NSA built out in the midwestern United States.

5. Wayland Sothcott 1
    Thumb Down

Mainframe

The Cloud is another name for the Mainframe computers of the olden days which were replaced by personal computers. People are siting some very good business reasons or should I say money saving and laziness for letting someone else handle your valuables. Putting you data in an online account is like putting your money in the bank. It makes it more convenient for the thieves.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: the Mainframe computers of the olden days

The Mainframe computers of the olden days were models of reliability. Connections to them were via proprietary cables. To program for them required a gaggle of highly-paid PhDs in engineering and mathematics, and projects took years to painstakingly realize. Code was written instruction by punch-code instruction. When projects were finished, users took what they were given and didn't complain, because it was all brand-new and nobody had any reference point.

The Cloud has nothing to do with a mainframe in any aspect, except that data is remotely accessed, which places it at the mercy of ISP reliability on top of Cloud Provider reliability.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like