back to article Credit card donations to WikiLeaks restored as Mastercard breaks ranks

Mastercard has broken ranks with other payment providers such as PayPal and Visa and begun allowing payments to WikiLeaks. Visa, MasterCard, PayPal, the Bank of America and Western Union all suspended payment processing for WikiLeaks days after the site began publishing leaked US diplomatic cables in November 2010. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Similar thing

Has just happened to private VPN providers.

Visa & Mastercard decided they were all criminals and stopped processing payments to them.

Judge, Jury..................

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Similar thing

Judge, Jury..................and US poodles.

Finished it for you.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Panicnow

We know who you are

They've realised tracking these payments is a great way of identifying the awkward squad!

You too can be a "domestic extremist!"

4. h3

Paypal is pretty criminal in itself.

Ebay is full of counterfeit stuff.

They let stuff like 150 in one Neo Geo bootlegs on it and fake DS carts. (All those ones in the little plastic boxes are blatantly fake.)

They try and act like they have a moral viewpoint but they don't give a damn about it. (Same as Google with those fake online pharmacies.)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Paypal is pretty criminal in itself.

It's worse than Google, eBay are actively making money from each auction, both in listing and final price fee's as well as Paypal fee's.

It's not just tech stuff thats fake, a surprising amount of stuff on there is fake.

clothes, shoes, handbags, watches, Jewellery, even car parts.

If there's a successful brand out there, you can bet it's been ripped off and sold on eBay (and sells well) all the time eBay taking their cut of the blackmarket.

You try and report an auction to eBay because it's fake goods??

They just ignore it and hope you don't notice!!

1. Neil Lewis
        Thumb Down

Re: Paypal is pretty criminal in itself.

It's off-topic, but you're only telling part of the story WRT eBay's attitude to counterfeits.

If you try to sell genuine, big brand goods, e.g. used Burberry, you'll be slapped down in minutes as soon as you use the brand name. Penalised if you dare to describe them as genuine goods, because the manufacturers don't want their brand diluted by a secondhand market. Effectively, you're forced to prove your innocence rather than your accuser being forced to prove your guilt.

Of course, if you're not a big brand with expensive lawyers, you have no chance trying to block copyright-breaching items from sale just by telling eBay about the offending items.

As usual, it's not about honesty or justice. It's about how big you are.

5. Khaptain Silver badge
    Devil

Developement

It took longer than expected to deploy a new PRISM gateway but now that it is ready they have re-opened for business.....

6. g e
    Pint

I'd like to think

That someone in mastercard grew a pair.

I suspect the truth is somewhat different and altogether less savoury, however.

Final pint of the day for everyone BUT the card processing companies and their bedfellows.

1. Dave Stevens
      Meh

Re: I'd like to think

They're just complying with the supreme court, no?

The interesting part will be what damage Wikileak is awarded, if any.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

decisions, decisions

Valitor are sitting un-pretty on the fence, but in the end - they went for the good old capitalist smell of revenue, lol. Maybe the pecunia olet, but when you get the right stimulus... and buy the right nose clip / filters... the waft... actually, it's not unlike roses! :D

8. Tom 7

Cushions?

Tissues shirley!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Tom 7 Re: Cushions?

"Tissues shirley!" One hopes, but just in case I'm willing to only donate to buy St Jules some extra-strong condoms as a Darwin mechanism.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Alternative providers

Mastercard and VISA, you don't want us???, we'll start using your emerging competitor China Union Pay....

10. Itsevilbert

We refuse you permission to give your money to whom you want.

If they keep this up, then Bitcoin will eventually takeover and their old business model of skimming/gouging ever transaction will end. But who knows maybe they will take over as the middlemen when/if Bitcoin gets big enough.

1. Steven Roper

Re: We refuse you permission to give your money to whom you want.

I'm quite glad Visa and Mastercard are playing their hand in this bullying fashion - first with Wikileaks, now with VPN providers.

The more they do this shit, the more they drive the uptake of Bitcoin. And that can only be a good thing. For example, I'd never bothered with Bitcoin myself until my VPN provider advised me they could no longer accept payment from my Mastercard. Result: I installed a Bitcoin client, bought myself some Bitcoins, and renewed my VPN subscription that way. So that's one more person they've pushed onto Bitcoin, and now that I've finally gone to the trouble of installing and adopting it, I'll be using it wherever it's accepted, instead of relying on my Mastercard. And I won't be the only one.

So keep on kicking those own goals, Visa and Mastercard, and help drive Bitcoin into the mainstream.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like