back to article Report: IPCom gets rich off Deutsche Telekom patent payment

Patent warehouse IPCom may have scored a massive royalty payout from Deutsche Telekom, with Reuters reporting the settlement to be worth hundreds of millions of euros. "It is their biggest settlement so far," said one anonymous source with knowledge of the deal. IPCom, which is backed by US asset managers Fortress Investment …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF?

So let me get this right?

I could buy the patents Samsung own in 3G technology, and by doing so remove them from the FRAND pool, and then charge whatever the fuck I liked to every single manufacturer of mobile telephones. Thus completely fucking up the 3G standard, and fucking over the entire mobile telecommunications market in one fell swoop.

Isn't that extortion?

How can retrospective changes be made to FRAND pools?

How can any 'standard' be set if that is possible?

1. g e
      Mushroom

Re: WTF?

If any 'thingy' is covered anywhere in the world under FRAND then litigants should be compelled to sue under the terms of FRAND or, if not signed up to it then they can't sue until they are.

This is just obvious exploitation of a loophole by maniacally cackling greed-obsessed charlatans.

I hope they, their offspring and their reproductive pool all contract fucking Ebola and die horrifically. Preferably on YouTube so we can have a good giggle.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's no other way to put it, this firm and others like them are fucking parasites. Anyone working for them and any lawyer making his living from these kind of activities should consider themselves to be no better than a botfly.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Germany and their court rooms

I'm glad that a German company was hit big, considering that they love to be the Texas District in Europe. Maybe they change their minds and law there.

4. Anonymous Coward 15

Prioritising emergency services? Isn't that the law? In which case it ought to be more than FRAND.

5. g e

What nationality is IPCom again?

Oh yeah. Ameritrollican.

I'm sure companies from other countries must do this racketeering but to be honest I can't think of any.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What nationality is IPCom again?

IPCom is a German company.

Their backers, Fortress Group are American though.

1. g e

Re: What nationality is IPCom again?

Ahh that's what I was thinking of ;o)

My bad!

6. Christoph
    Boffin

Not a problem

Bosch signed up to FRAND and agreed that those patents would be available under those terms.

Bosch took actions which meant that the patents were no longer available under FRAND.

Therefore Bosch must compensate in full all costs including legal costs, loss of sales, administration etc. to the firms which are being sued.

1. Mad Chaz
      Trollface

Re: Not a problem

Now wouldn't THAT be hilarious. I imagine it would make the greedy execs that made this happen wonder what the fuck they were thinking. That, right there, just might sound the death bell of patent trolls. Too bad it'll never happen.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a problem

Bosch would argue that it's not their fault that the FRAND agreements didn't account for this happening.

LIke taxation laws: dont' blame the organisation taking advantage of the environment. That's human nature (unfortunately).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like