back to article Google developing game console, smartwatch, new Q?

The Wall Street Journal, citing those ever-loquacious "people familiar with the matter," reports that Google is developing a game console and a smartwatch to be powered by, no surprise, Android. "With the watch and game console, Google is hoping to combat similar devices that Apple Inc. may release in the future, the WSJ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android+AMD(CPU+GPU)+Steam Big Picture+Half Life 3

There's an unbeatable launch combo.

1. DrXym

Re: Android+AMD(CPU+GPU)+Steam Big Picture+Half Life 3

Steam on Android faces so many hurdles that the only way I see it happening is if the games are playing in the cloud and the Android box is just a dumb front end. And if that's the case it doesn't need a fancy CPU or GPU.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Out of curiosity, how difficult would it be to have a Linux 'Steam Box' run Android games, such as those for the Ouya games console?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@DrXym (Re: Android+AMD(CPU+GPU)+Steam Big Picture+Half Life 3)

Valve has already ported some of its AAA games to run on Linux, as have a number of others. In fact, a quick check shows 223 games available on Steam for Linux. Android is, of course, based on Linux. There are already versions of Steam that run natively on Linux and as an App on Android.

A combined Android (i.e. Linux) based Steam box using a similar CPU/GPU architecture to the PS4/XBox One, released by Valve/Google in partnership and launched with Half Life 3 would have a serious impact and attract AAA developers.

It won't happen, of course, but it could be done and would probably succeed if it was.

1. Turtle

@mutatedwombat

"Valve has already ported some of its AAA games to run on Linux, as have a number of others."

Examples? I've looked through the entire list and I didn't notice anything that comes close to being an AAA title. I saw a few good games - Amnesia The Dark Descent and Penumbra Gold Edition stand out (for someone of my particular tastes, of course) - but those are not triple A. The only Valve games I noticed were Half-Live - the original from 1998, and the two expansion packs - along with Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike. So no AAA titles there, either...

If I've overlooked something, I'd be interested to know.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

AMD = 3 characters

CPU = 3 characters

GPU = 3 characters

SBP = 3 characters

hence Half Life 3 confirmed!!!!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Great, more products for the malware writers to target.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"people familiar with the matter"

Should be more clearly stated as "people familiar with the matter, who do not represent the company officially, are not part of the official PR department and in most ways are no more reliable than asking your mum".

4. g e

Ouya

The chocolate factory could do worse than make an offer

5. Frankee Llonnygog

But, I thought Google Glass would make smart watches obsolete?

I'm holding out for the ARM cufflinks

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I for one look forward to both smartwatch and console from Google.

7. Alan Denman

Another dumb smartwatch?

Yes, it seems to me they are all dumb.

When a call is received, lifting your wrist to your ear falls on silence.

Only idiot devices exist. They all need to get bluetooth speakering.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Google can't shake of the Google of old

Google have spent the last few years going through all their software offerings and they have streamlined (well axed) a lot of them. Waves, iGoogle, Google RSS Reader... While I can see the logic behind it (saving money, focusing on core key strengths) it seems Google haven't learned and are repeating the same mistakes in the hardware arena with various partners which is probably more costly and damaging to Googles reputation in the long run...

Google TV was a failure (who knows what's happening with that)

Nexus Q was a total unmitigated disaster (see article)

Google Chromebooks are still limping along but are ridiculed quite a bit (I'll admit though they are pretty good and they have their uses and can be quite handy, but Google seem to see it as a pet project)

Speaking as a Nexus 4 Owner, I'd rather Google just abandoned this scatter gun approach to Software and Hardware. Amidst the announcement of the second generation Sony smartwatch, the constant iWatch rumours and some rather fantastic developments on independent gaming devices (Ouya, Steam) here we have Google rumoured to be starting work on a watch and a gaming console.

Personally I use the bulk of the Google software services, but I'm not daft I know they can drop any of them at will. Why would anyone buy a Google watch or gaming console when they could just drop it like they have with most other things when someone else does it better?

9. MPQC
    Joke

Google is copying Nintendo!... 30 Years too slow!

"With the watch and game console, Google is hoping to combat similar devices...."

Similar devices to the watch and game console? There's only one that I know!

Nintendo's Game & Watch!

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/FCKEditorFiles//Game_and_watch_Ball.jpg

.......Someone had to do it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like