back to article Intel joins Alliance for Wireless Power

Intel has joined the Alliance for Wireless Power (A4WP), a consortium of technology companies intent on bringing an end to the tyranny of wires. Or as the A4WP prefers to state its goal, it aims “... to create a wireless power transfer (WPT) ecosystem that delivers …. wireless battery charging of portable consumer electronics …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Enter the Retiarius

Keep your electro-trident, and add a wave-net that converts a Qi charger into a selection of different iChargers.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I might be wrong, but charging technology is more analogy so the SoC bits are a bit less relevant. There's lot more to be done on the digital front.

3. Anonymous Custard

For the moment I'll stick with my electro-quadrent (micro-USB, mini-USB, phone and Apple - from the pound shop of all places) as that way I can conveniently still use the connected item without worrying about charging myself or ensuring I don't mess up the wireless charge.

But it's interesting tech anyway, especially if it can be evolved to safely charge at a reasonable distance, a la Tesla's dream.

4. DrXym

The tyranny of wires

I think wireless charging is a great idea but most of the implementations so far involve a pebble / slab which is plugged into a USB cable of some kind. So it's the exact same number of wires. Some phones go into a docked mode when they're plugged in this way which I guess is useful if the charger were on a bedside locker.

I think the tech is only going to take off when the chargers are built into car dashboards, into the feet of monitors or tops of PCs or other places people commonly charge their phones. It would be nice if it were coupled with a proper wireless sync though equivalent to the sorts of things people use a USB cable for - mass storage, development, MTP media transfer etc.

1. Matt_payne666

Re: The tyranny of wires

im a daily user of Qi wireless charging - yes I have a pebble that's connected to the wall via a wart, but its so convenient to just plonk my phone down and have it charge... my aim doesn't have to be too accurate, the phone doesn't have to line up in any way and I get a charge indicator just to make sure...

the big plus that I have is that it reduces the scratching of my phone... the charger has a little rubber detail on the top and I don't need to scrape around the base at night trying to locate a micro usb hole... and it also charges through the phones case should I have it all sealed away... :)

But I would love one standard - QI being the obvious one :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The tyranny of wires

The wonderful thing about standards is there's so many of them…

I think it's just great having the manufacturers (okay, bar one) agreeing on standard sockets for USB/power.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like