back to article Rally supports Snowden amid claims GCHQ tapped G20 summit

Over 900 Hong Kong-ers braved torrential rain on Saturday to march on the US Consulate and HK government in support of infamous PRISM whistle-blower Edward Snowden, as the man himself released yet more classified info on US intelligence operations. The supportsnowden.org movement is positioning Snowden’s case and how the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If the US spooks have done nothing wrong

then they have nothing to hide, right?

1. The Original Steve

Re: If the US spooks have done nothing wrong

Damn right.

I note they don't like it when things are the other way round.

1. Shagbag

Agreed. In this instance (the snooping of Medvedev), I see no problem with it. I expect everyone is up to it (the US, the UK, the Russians, the Chinese, etc.) whenever a foreign dignatory is in town irrespective of the location.

However, I disagree with the way the US (and the complicit UK) is going about hunting down whistleblowers.

1. Inselaf
          FAIL

How very true indeed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Iceland eh?

Well Clarkson did once write that all the women there were beautiful and its geothemal energy sources must insulate it from threats by the oil and gas rich nations of the world.

On the other hand his supporters would see a large portion of any subsistence allowance they made to him disappear in providing him with the occasional pint, and compared to HK it will seem a tad quiet.

3. Allan George Dyer
    Coat

As one of the 900, I have to be honest and admit the rain was not torrential. Persistent drizzle is more accurate.

Protesting in HK is very polite. Many were using whistles, but, as the march entered a shopping mall, we were requested to not whistle inside, and everyone complied.

HK's Chief Executive has now said that the case will be dealt with according to HK law. If the US makes an extradition request, then the courts and appeals could take three years. We will be watching.

1. h3

RE: Allan George Dyer

Things are different in HK / Japan (For me I would say better).

The way protests work in Japan is really strange protesters and police beat the hell out of each other on a weekly basis but nothing actually happens. (So it continues on a pretty much weekly basis).

4. silent_count

If the tables were turned

If it were a Chinese bloke who leaked info on the extent to which the Chinese government kept tabs on it's citizens before fleeing to the US, he'd be hailed as a courageous hero in the face of an oppressive government. He'd be doing the talk show circuit, garnering universal applause, and the yanks would sooner carpet bomb Hawaii than extradite him.

1. Elmer Phud

Re: If the tables were turned

Don't forget it ain't just the Septics.

Our own Little Willie is rather fond of not answering any questions about NSA or GCHQ and spouts the same promotional rubbish every time. His non-denials and evasions are a glaring admission.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like