back to article MySpace zaps millions of teens' tearful rants, causes wave of angst

MySpace, the Justin Timberlake-owned social network that refuses to die, is back yet again with a new desktop interface – and minus several years of users' blogs and comments. Blogs don't form part of the new MySpace – sorry, Myspace, they've dropped the capital S – and neither do home pages full of pinned videos and user …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. NogginTheNog
    FAIL

Content you create but don't own

When you store your stuff on someone else's (FREE) platform, shit like this happens. If you value it, back it up somewhere else, somewhere YOU own...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't worry

All three of the remaining Myspace users have been apologised to.

The six blog postings in question will be sorted out soon.

2. Jim 59

Re: Content you create but don't own

True, but it is still outrageous that Myspace binned users' data without warning. Google warned us in plenty of time that Reader as going, and allowed full download.

1. Lallabalalla

Yes, but Google have lots of money, and like to pretend to give a fuck now and then.

2. Desidero
        IT Angle

No warning? Rupert Murdoch told me he personally hacked your phone to leave you an iCal update.

3. jaminbob

Agree. Might of been vacuous junk, but they could of warned the poor dears. There's vacuous junk of mine from years ago I'd miss if it disappeared.

Not that I care enough to actually go and get it...

4. airmanchairman
        Go

All my playlists, contacts, photos and history are intact, restored within minutes on login to the new MySpace...

But then again, I have not been, like most people, a fair weather friend; I've checked in every now and then, posted, connected, uploaded, created playlists, read and responded to messages.

It wouldn't surprise me that those complaining virtually abandoned their blogs and stuff in the wake of the rise and rise of FaceBook.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"When you store your stuff on someone else's (FREE) platform, shit like this happens. If you value it, back it up somewhere else, somewhere YOU own..."

Its almost Friday so have an Upvote! In addition folks, don't get too used to any particular interface on your fav social / music / sharing platform. The site's omnipotent owners are addicted to making changes. They often break stuff that works and you actually like, in favour of new interfaces that deliver more ads-- sorry I mean-- more social connection! Unplugged from the Grid and binned fb & google over the weekend. Easier than thought. Can now return to local providers and the real-world....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unplugged from the Grid and binned fb & google over the weekend. Easier than thought. Can now return to local providers and the real-world....

Some folks were forcibly unplugged from the grid, FB and all social media after a storm front blew through their area Thursday evening. Withdrawal symptoms were tough to deal with but most seemed to survive and actually remember how to talk to people with their mouths and reflect their emotions via body language and facial signals. That is until the power came back on and they started sucking the crack data pipe again.

5. Bill B

This could never happen with Google. After all, I've seen the ad where the proud father uses Google to record his daughters important life events for posterity ... So it must be true.

*cough*

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Life imitates Art

The guy who played Sean Parker buys a social network, seriously?

3. Charles Augustus Milverton
    FAIL

Gig listings

All the advance gig listings gone for my favourite band ! What a complete shambles !!

4. heyrick Silver badge

What you post can vanish at any time...

I guess these angsty teens are too young to remember the great big void that was the vanishment of GeoCities. Or maybe Google's seemingly random cancellation of some products in lieu of others. When you're being hosted by a free service, you are subject to their caprices.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: What you post can vanish at any time...

We could probably add CompServe to the list.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Add Google to the list.

2. Uncle Siggy

"We could probably add CompServe to the list."

And thus begins the long litany of services that delivered customer/freetard data, which eventually disappeared. So, to get the list underway, I offer the very first instance, and leave it to you to fill in the gaps.

We could probably add The Serpent in The Garden that tempted Adam and Eve.

1. asdf
          Headmaster

Not only wasn't CompuServe not free but they cost as much per hour at the time as an entry level job if I remember right. Much different business model to MySpace.

1. Tom 35

Skipping the double negative...

True, it and a few others (GEnie) were pay services.

This would be closer to all the BBS systems, FIDO net... all gone now.

1. waldo kitty

This would be closer to all the BBS systems, FIDO net... all gone now.

Sorry but you are quite wrong there. Many BBS systems are still in operation. Some still have POTS capability in addition to telnet and/or ssh access.

And Fidonet? Fidonet is definitely still alive and active. Granted it doesn't have the 40000 nodes worldwide that it did back in the late '90's with all their hundreds and thousands of users each but it is still alive and active. Yes even offline mail via QWK and Bluewave are still very much in use by those who choose to continue to use that format ;)

1:3634/12

2. Andrew Jones 2

Geocities is apparently coming back.... or at least..... the "content" is.....

http://gizmodo.com/5676641/all-900gb-of-geocities-will-soon-be-downloadable

(Note - your definition of content may vary)

1. heyrick Silver badge

"Geocities is apparently coming back.... or at least..... the "content" is....."

...except that it says "next year" on an article from 2010.

1. ceesboog
          Thumb Up

-geocities: http://www.reocities.com or http://www.geocities.ws/

-fortunecity : http://www.fortunecity.ws/

3. Bleu
      Black Helicopters

Geocities lives ... in Japan. Not sure if Yahoo Japan owns it, s'pose they do.

Dumping that was a tactical error for Yahoo central, hard to 'monetize' but cheap to run, the lost goodwill must have outweighed the savings.

1. FrankAlphaXII

I miss GeoCities. And not because the content was any good, its because the design was usually terrible and it was easy to teach people how not to do things by taking a look at the source of a page full of blinking text and incorrectly sized images.

5. Captain Scarlet

Hmm good for me

Means I don't have to go through and delete my rubbish from my old account.

1. JoshOvki
      Thumb Up

Re: Hmm good for me

My thoughts exactly. Thank goodness for that.

6. Justicesays

Internet archive

You can get all your old geocities junk off the internet archive apparently, as well as other archive sites dedicated to that purpose.

Might be worth a look for those who really need their old blog posts, assuming they were world visible and the internet archive is spidering myspace.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NSA has back-up copies on-line...

As above.

1. JoshOvki
      Big Brother

Re: NSA has back-up copies on-line...

Don't be daft, even the NSA have their limits!

8. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

If Trouser Snake owns MySpace...

Does this mean Justin Bieber owns Bebo?

Beibo?!

9. Gordon Fecyk
    Holmes

And people wondered why I rolled my own

This is why.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Classic example of why you shouldn't trust the cloud. Some other fucker has his fingers on the off button and his motivations aren't the same as yours.

11. Anomalous Cowshed

Please can you help out

Can someone explain to me the difference between Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake and Timberland? I keep getting confused by all these names. Thanks. A. Cowshed

1. Maharg
      Thumb Up

Re: Please can you help out

Ok

Justin Bieber is basically a pale white imitation of young Michael Jackson, if you forget about the decent music and focus on the bat-shit crazy monkey owning child being exploited by everyone around him aspect.

Justin Timberlake is a slightly taller and older pale white imitation of 80s ‘Bad’ album Michael Jackson, who seems to still think it’s 2003, a trait found when hearing any of his ‘new’ songs and his ownership of MySpace.

Timberland is either a type of footwear known for its deep voice distinctive track mastering that used to hang around with Nelly Furtado and Missy Elliot, and appeared in a number of music videos for Justin Timberlake in 2003…

Or a Hip Hop producer that protects the feet of builders and rappers.

Not sure on that last point

1. Anomalous Cowshed

Re: Please can you help out @ Maharg

Thanks for the explanation, now it's all clear to me! But looking at the problem from another angle for a moment, I have a question: if we assume "Justin Bieber, Justin Timberland and Timberlake" to be some kind of series, what would be the next name in the series, and what kind of properties would it have?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Maharg
          Happy

Re: Please can you help out @ Cowshed

They have already branched out to the UK in the form of high pitched drunken sounding acoustic guitar playing rapper Justin T, only due to not having the required MJ influence of the other incarnations they forced him to change his name to Jamie T.

I would have to guess that the next ‘proper’ incarnation of this series will be an as pale 90s era Michael Jackson imitation called ‘J Timber’ who dresses as a huge shoe, and who signs in a high pitched girlish voice while thursting at teenage girls in a not threating way.

He will often then say ‘wika wika’ in a much deeper smother style a la Timberland (as in “wika wika baby girl uh” – from the Aaliyah song Try Again, and “ohhh the damage is done so I guess I’ll be wika wika leaving ohhh” the Justin Timberland song Cry me a River).

J Timber will go on to own Bebo and star in a film about how Twitter started up.

4. monkeyfish

I suspect it would be Bieberland, some kind of themepark, filled with hordes of screaming teenaged girls, and one solitary Canadian.

5. Bleu
          Coat

Justin Timberdong Bayber?

OK, on m'way.

6. Captain DaFt

Timbertoes, naturally. http://www.highlights.com/favorite-characters-and-features/the-timbertoes

And thus , returning to the beginning, the circle is complete.

7. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Justin Bieberlake: Designer of the footwear that will take you into the next century. Or something of that ilk.

12. Senior Ugli

Bieber is a small canadian girl

Timberlake is relatively successful musician & actor, that has funded a terrible social network

Timberland is a clothing brand and also a US hip hop producer

1. LinkOfHyrule

Timberland is a clothing brand and also a US hip hop producer

It's like how Vax is an old computer but also a wet and dry vacuum cleaner!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And this is where self hosted content is superior.

So long as you keep backups of course!

14. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

"The Cloud" .. exactly what the man wants

with more and more content going into the cloud, it becomes *much* easier to wipe out content you don't like ....

1. Paul 164
      Coat

Re: "The Cloud" .. exactly what the man wants

... And makes it much easier for the NSA to get their grubby little hands on all your data!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "The Cloud" .. exactly what the man wants

...and even easier to amend content after....Think 'Animal Farm' laws: four legs good, two legs bad....

15. Haku

Users should stand up for their consumer rights and demand their money back.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like