back to article SoftBank sweetens Sprint bid by over $1bn

Japanese carrier SoftBank has sweetened its deal for US phone firm Sprint by over a billion dollars just two days before shareholders were due to vote on the offer, making the board very happy – but delaying the final merger decision. SoftBank is now willing to part with $21.6bn for 78 per cent of the network, which is the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Don Jefe

I Really Don't Get It

Why would anyone want Sprint that badly. I understand it is the third largest carrier but there is a lot of space between 3rd and 2nd, a whole lot. The days of massive growth are largely over so I can't see them expanding much. I don't get why they are so interested. What am I missing?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The days of massive growth are largely..."

I guess that is the reason. If anyone wants to be a massive future carrier, they have to deal with companies for a current piece of the pie since they can no longer increase the pies size. It does make sense if mobile speeds ever drastically increase to the point where you can bypass current hardline ISPs and only have mobile. That isn't hard to believe either being the way current ISPs nickel and dime you for ever slowing connections (slowing proportionately to competitors that is).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like