Who should play the next Doctor? Nominations needed!

This topic was created by diodesign .

Page:

1. diodesign Silver badge

Who should play the next Doctor? Nominations needed!

This Friday we'll hold a public poll on who ought to play the next Doctor Who. We've had a ton of suggestions already (John Hurt, Bill Nighy, Sean Pertwee, Philip Glenister, Paterson Joseph etc etc) - but you've all probably got loads more.

So fire away with your nominations, please, and we'll prep a poll for the end of the week.

C.

1. Dalek Dave

Re: Who should play the next Doctor? Nominations needed!

I think Johnny Lee Miller would be good.

And since it seems appropriate that he be played by someone British, how about Kiefer Sutherland?

Richard E Grant anyone?

However, and given that he has already 'played' the role, what of David Morrissey?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Richard Ayoade aka Moss the IT Crowd.

There's something meta about it.

Also as he wrote on his facebook page

Dear BBC,

I am writing to inform you that I am available to take over immediately as the next Doctor. I'll even bring my own sonic screwdriver (mine actually works).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Maurice Moss.

1. Lloyd
        Megaphone

I'm with x20Mar (odd, that's my birthday), as soon as I read Richard Ayoade I said "hells yes", either that or Olivia Colman, she does scatty very well, but she's also got some serious acting chops.

3. mrcentimeters

I think that a good selection for the next doctor would be charlie mcdonnel. he is funny, and it would seem fairly easy going. just an idea

2. Jim Lewis

Professor Stephen Hawking

3. Huntsman

Stacey Solomon.

4. JDX Gold badge

Eddie Izzard

Based on The Riches he can actually act, not just be zany.

5. Sutekh
    Mushroom

Brian Blessed?

see title :)

1. Shrimpling

Re: Brian Blessed?

The assistant will have to be called Gordon... The rest writes itself.

6. Joseph Bryant

Hal from Being Human

Tovey is the wrong Being Human actor for the part - in fact it should be Damien Molony, aka Hal.

1. Slik Fandango
      Thumb Up

Re: Hal from Being Human

Agree 100% - when I first saw BH I thought Dr Who replacement!

7. wowfood

Noel Fielding

The guy would make a damn fine Doctor if you ask me.

8. CAPS LOCK

Ben Cumberbatch

Obviously.

1. Chris Harrison
      Thumb Down

Re: Ben Cumberbatch

Might as well save time and just stick with the current one.

1. Elmer Phud

Nah, Cumberbatch could have replaced the last two - easily.

1. JDX Gold badge

It's a bit "oh he's popular put him in".

2. auburnman

You'd have to have him basically be Sherlock though. Snapping at anyone near him and doing scathing put downs alongside the investigation. Would make a good change from the recent cheery/zany all the time. Do you think they could get Martin Freeman as an assistant as well, or is he still busy being a Hobbit?

9. Dr Scrum Master
    Holmes

Christopher Lee

Well, why not?

And it would break the trend of the actors getting younger as the character gets older...

Peter Cushing also had a go...

10. Justice
    Thumb Up

Hugh Laurie

He has sinister eyes. Darker Doctor required.

1. JDX Gold badge
      Joke

Re: Hugh Laurie

It would confuse the US audience why he has to do a British accent

2. Danny 4

the other one

Or for that matter Stephen Fry?

11. Richard Taylor 2

Richard Dawkins

He has the family connections.....

12. Big_Boomer Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Milton Jones

A whole season of one liners! And the hair!

13. sorry, what?
    Thumb Up

Who's Who

Freddie Highmore (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory/Arthur and the Invisibles)

Given the apparent reverse aging of the doctor at each regeneration I think it would be excellent to cast a young british actor. It's a bit Benjamin Button. And it fits nicely with the original statement of a limited number of regenerations!

14. g e
    Happy

Sean Pertwee

Just 'cos

Though he's likely too old for the yoof and probably doesn't want the gig.

Doesn't mean he shouldn't be, though...

There's also David Troughton (on the offspring basis) though Pertwee would make an excellent gritty badass Doctor.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Sean Pertwee as Doctor 3?

Possibly if you look at them as stories of the third doctor, will need to get curly hair though.

15. Scott Earle
    Thumb Up

I vote for ...

David Threlfall

1. g e
      Pint

Re: I vote for ...

PAAAARTYYYY!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I vote for ...

I've long thought that he'd be good. I'll vote for him.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Danny Dyer

17. Benebby
    Thumb Up

Bertie Carvel

See title

1. MattLoren

Re: Bertie Carvel

This would be great and would fit the profile nicely. Younger guy, excellent British actor...however he's already appeared in Dr. Who... in "The Lazarus Experiment"

Admittedly he was listed as "Mysterious Man" and we don't in anyway know who he was linked to and he just warns Martha that the doctor is dangerous and to watch out, so that's no showstopper.

He's currently up for a Tony award for his work on the broadway version of Matilda, which is proving massive over there.

18. Christoph
    Happy

John Cleese

See title

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Neil Gaiman

He can write Who and he looks the part. Directors have always specified there isn't much acting required, just be yourself.

20. wondermouse

Benedict Cumberbatch has just the right mix of brainy, quirky and otherworldliness.

21. i like crisps
    Thumb Up

Please, Please,Please...

Can something go horribly wrong with his regeneration this time round so that the Doctor

is turned into a talking Jack Russell...either that or Keith Lemon.

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Please, Please,Please...

I don't think being a retired wicket keeper is a good qualification for a timelord, but then look at Doctor Vet (Tristan Farnon)

22. Frankee Llonnygog

Bill Nighy gets the William Hartnell vote

However, as the Doc is often in the thick of it, I'm voting for (swerves to avoid Peter Capaldi) Rebecca Front

1. Thomas 4

Re: Bill Nighy gets the William Hartnell vote

As someone that grew up with Hartnell, Troughton, et al, I heartily endorse this suggestion.

1. Wilseus
        Go

Re: Bill Nighy gets the William Hartnell vote

I agree. In fact I suggested him on the Reg ages ago :)

23. JonP

Rowan Atkinson

My money's on what's-her-face (the current assistant) becoming the doctor in another inexplicable episode, but I think Rowan Atkinson would be a good choice.

Heh, or Danny Dyer as someone above suggested. I'd love to see them pull that off successfully!

24. Thomas 4

First female Doctor

I'd actually like to see this. It'd be cool to see how he reacts to his new gender and whether it changes any aspects of his personality as a result.

Billie Piper - No. Too much storyline associated with the character.

Olivia Coleman - While she was great in Peep Show and Hot Fuzz, she doesn't really strike me as "Doctor" material.

Helen Mirren (?sp) - Now we're getting somewhere.

Alex Kingston - An ideal candidate....but too much storyline already associated with her.

I think it'd need to be a more mature actress, someone age 40 or older. A 20 or 30 something wouldn't really have the air of authority the Doctor needs.

1. Elmer Phud
      Alien

Re: First female Doctor

Callyerself Who fans?

There has been a female Doctor for a short time, a ginger one, and bloody good she was too.

2. Velv
      FAIL

"Alex Kingston - An ideal candidate....but too much storyline already associated with her."

Too much storyline!!!!! ffs, not to mention the ultimate in incest, "marrying" yourself!!!!!

I'm not convinced #12 should be female - it might be better to round off the regenerations with a male actor, then the escape from the limit is to become female so they can keep the series going.

1. VinceH

"I'm not convinced #12 should be female"

Quite. And nor should any subsequent regenerationed Doctors: Why the Doctor shouldn't regenerate into a female.

3. Danny 4

Kylie Minogue. Though she has been in one of the specials which could complicate things.

4. Munchausen's proxy
      Pint

Instead of dying / regenerating, perhaps the Doctor could just go on a little sabbatical, and his wife River could take over the doctoring for a year or two. That takes care of the storyline and avoids the icky questions and keeps Alex Kingston on the scene. Eventually, sadly, the Doctor regenerates off-screen for some hilariously-alluded-to reason, and River swaps roles again.

5. phuzz Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Tilda Swinton, she already looks a bit alien.

25. Frankee Llonnygog

Off topic ...

TFA refers to 'Our beloved commentards'

Reg leadership - any chance of an official Reg-branded 'Beloved commentard' tee-shirt?

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon