back to article Virgin Media slides fat 10Gbps pipes into Murdoch's BSkyB

The business end of Virgin Media has revealed more details about a £49m deal to beef up BSkyB's broadband network. Virgin Media announced last month - in what is likely to be its final quarterly report to the City before being acquired by US cable giant Liberty Global - that it had bagged "major backhaul contract wins" from …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wonder where

all the anti murdoch crowd who were shouting to move from Sky to Virgin are going now?

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
      Go

Re: Wonder where

I'm just over here... and I've just renamed your post correctly for you "Wonder where (the point of my post went)"

No thanks needed :-)

2. PC Paul
      WTF?

Err.. doesn't this just show that Virgin have so much capacity they can sell Sky several 10's of GBs while still carrying on business as usual?

Virgin is still Virgin - it's anti-Virgin Sky-ites who are now going to be using Virgin wires whether they like it or not.

3. Shrimpling

I went to BT when Sky announced they were buying BE if that is what you are on about?

Also I don't see how Sky paying to use Virgin's services is the same as the company being (part) owned by News International?

4. Red Bren
      FAIL

I am a VM customer. Mr Murdoch's company is a VM customer. Please explain how this makes me a customer of Mr Murdoch?

I guess you weren't paying attention when they were teaching set theory...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

downtime

A certainty or just something worth betting on?

3. James 51

BT infinty I supopse.

4. Len
    Unhappy

Is that core IPv6 ready?

I do hope this new core network is IPv6 capable from day one.

The creeping IPv4 shortage (which everyone saw coming years ago but few were willing to prepare for) is starting to cause some nasty developments. After PlusNet decided to invest in Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) instead of IPv6 the first outrage became evident. (http://www.techweekeurope.co.uk/news/plusnet-ipv4-ipv6-nap-networking-104349).

Then, earlier this month, BT started to put some of its Broadband customers behind CGN (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/381646/customers-fume-as-bt-introduces-ip-sharing), causing more people to become upset.

The issue is that NAT at home is a lot more flexible than CGN. If you own your own NAT router you can use UPNP or manually open ports to get things working. With CGN you can't.

These BT and PlusNet customers are now finding out the hard way which things stop working. The DHT feature of the Torrent protocol is one, but worse for average customers is the loss of things such as XBOX Live. No more multiplayer games on the XBOX after your ISP has taken away your IPv4 address.

My own ISP is BeBroadband who were making progress with their IPv6 preparations. However, as they have just been sold to Sky, I am getting worried they may put it on ice if Sky's infrastructure isn't IPv6 ready.

I want the real Internet, not some crippled version behind CGN.

1. Dr Wadd

Re: Is that core IPv6 ready?

Plusnet allow you to switch over to a fixed IP for a one-off £5 charge which I found more than reasonable.

2. ElNumbre
      Thumb Up

The trouble is, most consumer level ISPs don't see the point; a large proportion of their customer base couldn't give a flyer what type of IP they get, as long as it 'just works™'. And if you phone and ask a service droid about IPv6, this is unlikely to be in their vocabulary and return a not found error. And until this lack of address-space starts costing the ISP money (either in support costs, pre-sales leads not joining, or customers walking away) then they're not likely to invest in getting their infrastructure setup for v6.

For the foreseeable future, I think if you want a proper 'traditional' IP address, plus the modern IPv6 address, you're going to have to pay a premium for it. This is why I subscribe to AAISP. Damn its expensive, but its got the technical bells and whistles that I need to get the most out of my internet connection. I suppose its the difference between a standard Ford Focus and a Mercedes S-Class. Both do a similar thing, but one comes with extra toys for those that want it, but you pay a fair bit extra for it.

3. Nate Amsden

I used to want the real internet too(back when I hosted stuff at home). Many years ago I decided to move my services to a colo and have been happy since (my home ISP kept getting bought out and forcing IP address changes).

There's nothing I use that doesn't work behind CGNAT for my home use(I haven't played games online in a decade). I believe my phone is on CGNAT, and when my laptop is connected to it I can't tell any difference.

Even if they gave you IPv6, chances are damn good that the majority of the remainder of those xbox live folks are on IPv4, so someone is going to have to NAT something.

CGNAT will break far less things than switching to IPv6. Though it would be nice to give customers dual stack support for those that know how to use it. Myself I turned down IPv6 for my 100meg connection at my colo (he.net) when they offered(they are a big IPv6 provider from what I can tell). Too much trouble for no benefit.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh?

"The 10-times increase on the current 1Gbps interconnectivity could, at least initially, ease any network slowdowns experienced by Sky subscribers."

They have a 1Gbit core?

6. masterofobvious
    WTF?

I'd rather they upgrade their own network so I get the speed I pay for...

7. tin 2

VM business have had extreme trouble delivering any and every circuit I and my colleagues have ordered in recent memory. I forsee Sky's network staying as it is, and VM folding under the weight of missed SLA penalties!

8. Christian Berger

Wouldn't they want to upgrade to something more current?

I mean 10Gig is slowly being phased out already. If you are sending people to replace ports and perhaps even more serious network equipment, shouldn't you use 40 or 100 Gig Ethernet?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like