back to article That $1,000 the lad in Lagos needed? Just email it with Google Wallet

Google has integrated its payment Wallet with Gmail, enabling PayPal-style transactions from within the Gmail interface, and to any over-18 American with an email address and a Google Wallet account. Google Wallet has also spread to another couple of handsets, including the Samsung flagships (S4 & Note II) and the HTC One, all …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Busby

As things stand my kid has a play store account without a card associated. Once this launches in the UK will I be able to send him money this way from my account that he can then blow on apps?

1. Dave Bell

Paying Google from the UK

You can get Google Play giftcards from UK supermarkets. There's a number under a scratch-off strip which you use to make the transfer. I didn't know that the Google Play account was effectively part of the Wallet system, but watch out for GBP -> USD charges. We're charged in sterling on Google Play. Paying somebody else through Wallet could be expensive.

(I've been tracking another internet company's problems with payments from Europe: they're in California, and Paypal works, but there's something about them which rings loud alarm bells at my bank. And they have been doing awkward stuff for all their European customers, where there are a lot of payment paths which are used rather than cards and Paypal. It seems silly to make it hard for customers to pay you, but there are some changes in US regulations on payment handling.)

2. Anonymous Custard

Holiday Money?

to any over-18 American with an email address and a Google Wallet account

So our Nigerian lad could soon be sending mail from his holidays in Florida?

Or are we just going to see a mass of viruses which target gmail and try to send mail with dollars attached to them back to their mothership?

1. Alpha Tony

Re: Holiday Money?

The thing is.. if you get a letter in terrible English, full of spelling mistakes from someone claiming to be the ex-president of the United States it might seem plausible...

1. Rukario
        Facepalm

Re: Holiday Money?

Sounds like this one:

http://www.scamorama.com/gwb.html

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More of your personal info for google, who are already working with NASA on quantum computing to mine more of your data from larger datasets. When do they launch personal-view suppositories?

4. squigbobble
    Boffin

If you must use this...

...do as I did with Paypal; set up a dummy bank account with no overdraft, no extras and just a few quid in it and use that as your Paypal bank account. That way if somebody h4xx0rs your Paypal account they won't be able to clean out your main bank account.

1. Pie
      Thumb Up

Re: If you must use this...

I have done the same, I have my 'fun' account where all the money I can spend on myself goes, or a few quid like you say...

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: If you must use this...

If you must use this...

Surely nobody must? I use HBCI for my online stuff. Kills h4xx0rs. Dead.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If your account is hacked...

Google Wallet help pages would suggest the money to sent to Lagos (etc) will never be refunded:

"For example, sending the wrong amount of money or sending money to the wrong email address are not covered. Please contact the recipient to request a refund for user error related transactions."

Linking your primary bank account to any of these services is just plain silly IMHO.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If your account is hacked...

"For example, sending the wrong amount of money or sending money to the wrong email address are not covered. Please contact the recipient to request a refund for user error related transactions."

This is exactly the same as it is for electronic transfers using online banking - if you type the wrong account number then the money goes to the wrong account and bank won't be able to help since they did exectly as you asked them to. All you can do is ask the person who received the money to hand it back ... but the bank won't tell you who they are due to Data Protection laws. Think if you can find out who got the money and can show that it was not reasonable for them to think the money was intended for them then if they don't hand it back then it can become theft and the Police might become interested.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: If your account is hacked...

Not strictly right AC - as you mention Data Protection laws, I'm gonna guess you're in the UK. If so, linking something like this or Paypal to your bank account in the UK is done via a direct debit. This means you're covered by the direct debit guarantee, so you are able to go to your bank and demand the direct debit is cancelled and the erroneous transaction reversed under that guarantee.

Protections for mistakes come in many different guises.

6. CJ Bill

Funny you should mention that lad in Lagos

The pay by email system reminds me a bit of m-pesa, an African pay by text system which is massive in East Africa. It's very much proved itself in it's home country, Kenya, and is spreading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-Pesa

1. Daniel B.

Also in this continent

There's a recent pay-by-text system in Mexico as well. Some banks are implementing it, though they don't directly link it to CCs or bank accounts, but creating a specific "mobile" account for funds transfer.

I've opted out from these things, as I would rather have my money safely resting in the bank, thank you very much.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Also in this continent

"I would rather have my money safely resting in the bank, thank you very much"

These days, with 'bail-in' now accepted, I'm not sure which is safer - the Lagos boyz or the Wall Street boyz.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

"I would rather have my money safely resting in the bank underwritten by taxpayers, thank you very much"

Fixed it for you...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

I've opted out from these things, as I would rather have my money safely resting in the bank, thank you very much.

What, like Northern Rock, or RBS, both bastions of monetary security and customer care.....

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

or more likely.

If you want to sell stuff and want to avoid the PayPal tax, use this...

Thanks Google, I for one am happy about this. Haters are always going to hate it seems...

1. Dave Bell

Re: or more likely.

I'm not sure Paypal is as bad as you think. Last USD payment I made through Paypal was a better deal than my Card gave me for a USD purchase of similar value. Paypal tells you in advance. Card payments you don't know until afterwards, but with the various forms of internet banking you don't have to wait for the statement.

Not that competition in such things is a bad, and the Google system (giftcards available for Play) could be very useful.

(I signed up for Paypal a long time ago, and times have changed, but getting money to the USA can still be awkward.)

8. exexpat

aaah so thats the real reason ebay won't let you

send email addresses through there messaging system. They saw it coming.

9. JDX Gold badge

Interesting

If they can roll it out to other nations this really could scare PayPal... to get money to people overseas PP is often the easiest (and even cheapest) way, but in many countries PP isn't able to link to local bank accounts. If Google can overcome that issue, you could see freelancers switching to it in droves.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No thanks

Don't have a google account and don't want one and don't want their services as well... same for paypal so yeah.

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: No thanks

What a convenient life you must lead...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'the launch should have PayPal and its ilk very worried indeed'

But it won't.

If you're used to dealing with users, you'll know bloody well that they won't know this exists for another 5 years. Then, they still won't use it because it involves learning something new in their parrot-fashion repertoire and involves change / trying something different.

PayPal is incumbent now, in reality, as synonymous with online payments as Windows become with OEM boxes.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: 'the launch should have PayPal and its ilk very worried indeed'

No. All they have to do is get businesses using it and people will learn quickly.

2. bep

Re: 'the launch should have PayPal and its ilk very worried indeed'

There are more than enough people who have had Paypal decide to debit their linked bank account and inform them afterwards who will no longer have anything to do with Paypal. You're not getting their business at the moment, if the only options you provide are Paypal and direct debit. They'll have a look at your payment terms and shop elsewhere.

12. JaitcH
    FAIL

PayPal a system to avoid, regardless

PayPal decides whether to pay out or to hold your money. They also force their politics on you.

Remember Wikileaks.

Even HCBC doesn't do this - and they are one of the worst banks around. (Think otherwise? Then explain why they have to wire money between YOUR accounts in some countries?)

13. Oninoshiko
    Coat

2.9 per cent?

my god. that's highway robbery!

or did you mean 2.9 percent?

<---- searching for any spare change in by jacket.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2.9 per cent? / pedant

"2.9 per cent?

"my god. that's highway robbery!

"or did you mean 2.9 percent?"

That would have been more impressive, you picking on a little one-character typo, if you hadn't yourself made a one-character typo. Or did you mean to write "in by pocket"? Moron.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And yeah, I saw the pocket/jacket thing as soon as I posted. I guess we're none of us perfect :-)

2. NomNomNom

"if you hadn't yourself made a one-character typo"

theirs no need for a hyphen in that sentance

make sure you correct you're own spelling before criticising others!

1. Jason 24
          Go

@NomNomNom

I hope you're being ironic with your own spelling :)

2. khjohansen
          Headmaster

Re: 2.9 per cent? / pedants pedant

THERE seems to be a problem with a mote in THEIR eye, but a plank... !

3. Rukario
        Headmaster

Re: 2.9 per cent?

"2.9 per cent?

"my god. that's highway robbery!

"or did you mean 2.9 percent?

"<---- searching for any spare change in by jacket." (don't you mean my jacket here?)

This works if the first line is read as "2.9 per cent", or "2.9 per $0.01".

14. scrubber
    Black Helicopters

Bet you the US gov. gets very interested in this

Deposits to poker (or any international gaming sites) by US citizens has been effectively barred by the US govt. strong-arming the credit card companies (VISA & Mastercard), will they do the same to Google?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paypal and GWallet

Without Paypal's incestuous relationship with eBay, Paypal would have sunk under its own extremely poor customer relations long before they got "married".

After several years (yes, YEARS) effort, Paypal finally accepted my credit card (not that the CC is where they get the cash from, they withdraw direct from a balkanized bank account, but no CC, we-no-wanna-no-u. After that, the feeling was mutual). I'd treat GWallet the same way. Set up a "no over draft" checking account with no linkages to any other account, and connect that to GWallet. You bank usually will do this at no extra charge, but YMMV. Then just transfer to the account when funds are needed. If there is any hanky panky, the loss is at least limited to what is in the balkanized account.

I shudder to think of the number of people who just... give these people access to all their cash[1]. Babes in the woods, croquets for the bears, and all that.

[1] think about that. With overdraft, that could be not only a lot of money, but all those OD fees add up and interest, and of course while in dispute all the penalties, and then the bank just says, pay it anyway and off to collections you go. After years of fighting, the exhausted punter then agrees to pay "only" 1/3 of the total to cover the mess, and then the tax man show up demanding income tax on the "forgiven" 2/3! Could it be worse? YES! You can't borrow any money because your credit is ruined, and the local authorities are after you too for tax evasion.... and then your dog pees on your foot for not listening to the ElReg reader comments and doing it right the first time round.

1. NomNomNom

Re: Paypal and GWallet

"You can't borrow any money because ..."

that's not actually a bad thing

2. Daniel B.

Re: Paypal and GWallet

Hm. Maybe I don't have much of these problems because there's no such thing as an overdraftable account in Mexico? Either your checks go through or bounce, no middle ground. Same thing with bankcard charges. CCs might get overdrafted, but that's usually by mistake, as payment processors and/or issuing banks sometimes lag in reflecting charges against your CC.

That said, I would never, ever link a savings account to PayPal. Or any other service.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No evil ? This is getting scary

Now only do they know everything about us but get banking or cc details ? Hell no . This is scarier than Microsoft by orders of magnitude. This is WAY too dangerous for civil liberties , protection of our private information ( Remember they are in the USA where they fork over all information requested at the drop of a hat even that of non Americans ) not to mention that concentrates WAY too much power in the hands of any one corporation . I'm scared of what Google is becoming. Really they are WAY past creepy . Not to mention what i call the WalMart effect . They kill the smaller businesses that we used to go to and make business with.

Browser : Chrome OS : Android Search : Google now in the money game ? No f****** way I'd really like to see a serious crackdown on them . They have gone way too far already , with this episode , they're totally scary.

I'm not using that , no way in hell !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: No evil ? This is getting scary

It's...you know...optional.

17. Anonymous Coward
    IT Angle

Bring bonking functionality to Android?

"Within days Larry Page had apparently killed off the physical card which was intended to bring bonking functionality to those lacking the latest Android hardware"

Excuse me for asking, but what has sexual intercourse got to do with online electronic financial transactions?

1. garbo
      Joke

Re: Bring bonking functionality to Android?

Bonking? It's what Bankers do. See the connection?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bring bonking functionality to Android?

Except for merchant bankers, of course.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like