back to article Behold Ubuntu Server 13.04: Focus on hypervisors and OpenStack

It is getting hard to see where Ubuntu Server ends and where the OpenStack cloud controller begins - and this is absolutely intentional on the part of Canonical, the corporate entity behind the Ubuntu distribution of the Linux operating system. The Ubuntu Server 13.04 release that is coming out this Thursday is not one of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Shame they do not support 10.04 desktop for 5 years, but foisted upon us the unpleasant business of gnome3/unity.

1. keithpeter Silver badge
      Boffin

Servers

"Shame they do not support 10.04 desktop for 5 years, but foisted upon us the unpleasant business of gnome3/unity."

The article is about servers. Often headless. No X.

On the desktop front, CentOS/Scientific Linux/Springdale Linux is close to Ubuntu 10.04. Updates until 2020. Gnome 2.28 I think. I'm positing this from a Scientific Linux 5.9 install. Updates to 2017. Works ok.

2. mark l 2 Silver badge

Linux Mint 13 is has a variety of desktop choices, (Mate, Cinnamon, KDE, Xfce) and is supported until April 2013

1. mark l 2 Silver badge

oops i meant to say April 2017

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

@Paul Crawford - server/desktop releases.

I know that the LTS periods for desktop and server do not match, but I fail to see the difference when it comes to the repositories. I have a 10.04 desktop build (although it is used more like a server, but I do directly log in to it relatively regularly) in my environment, and it is still getting many updates from the repository.

I know that there is a good chance that some packages will not be updated (in particular, Chrome and Firefox updates do not happen, or happen infrequently), but the kernel and the basic OS appear to be receiving patches.

So I have taken the attitude that my 10.04 system will remain at that level for the foreseeable future. I believe that I will get basic OS security patches as long as the server LTS release is maintained, and most of the user-access stuff is sufficiently stable that I'm not overly worried that I may not get updates. Same goes for my Asus EeePC 701, which is really too small (4GB internal SSD - not upgradeable) for anything later than 10.04.

For the record, I'm using 12.04 with cinnamon on my laptop, and I am getting by, although I really would like to re-instate the pre-unity elevator boxes on my terminal sessions. The pop-up up/down/drag slider button thingy just annoys me when it disappears.

2. h3

They have focused on pretty much everything and not a single one of them has worked properly.

This is the standard thing for Ubuntu

Take new fashionable thing :

Try and get it working properly

Fail

and then

Switch to something else and fail to get that working acceptably and repeat.

I dunno who in their right mind would trust Canocial for anything like this.

They are like a child who has eaten too many Smarties and then goes loopy and cannot decide what he wants to do. Completely devoid of any long term decision making or any sort of credibility (They will say we are going to do this and then once it is released not even make sure works tolerably never mind improve it. LTS should mean properly supported at least if you are paying for it.)

1. Skoorb

Re: They have focused on pretty much everything and not a single one of them has worked properly.

@h3, whilst it is not quite as bad as you are making out, and Ubuntu is a good choice if you want to stay up to date, if stability and long support of old versions is what you are after, then a Red Hat clone is the way to go. Also, Ubuntu has a design choice that you should, as a preference, upgrade the whole OS if you want a new or updated feature - that's why their versioning is the way that it is. If this is an unacceptable approach for your environment, go use a Red Hat clone.

Rather surprisingly, the Oracle clone is one of the better ones, if you can stomach it.

3. tabman
    Trollface

LINUX - Server.....sure, data centre...maybe, desktop...don't hold your breath

Maybe this indicates that Linux is ready for the desktop. ROFL.

Only joking of course but I have heard similar claims made on comments about stories with a much more tenuous link!

Linux as the ubicutous OS on desktop - not for a while yet (except in fanbois dreams perhaps)

1. Anonymous Dutch Coward
      Headmaster

Re: LINUX - Server.....sure, data centre...maybe, desktop...don't hold your breath

Yep. Ubicutous OSes... dangerous but if you manage to harness their power, there's nothing that can stop you.

Grammar nazi because discussing the contents of your posts seems useless.

2. DanDanDan

Re: LINUX - Server.....sure, data centre...maybe, desktop...don't hold your breath

***Yawn*** - not another "Linux on the desktop" debate.... Please go back under your bridge and wait for a Patents article - far easier to disturb the flames..

4. Anomalous Cowturd
    Windows

Whoosh...

What was that noise?

That was the sound of that article going completely over my head.

<<< Me feeling tired and emotional, after trying to decipher that lot...

5. Tim99 Silver badge
    Linux

Ubuntu Server?

For goodness sake people - Just read the Debian documentation and do it properly...

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Ubuntu Server?

Or CentOS but yes, my sentiments exactly.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like