back to article NORKS closes South-Korea-run industrial enclave

North Korea has cut off access to the Kaesŏng Industrial Park, a manufacturing precinct on North Korean soil that is run by South Korean companies. Kaesŏng opened in 2004 and has since become home to several South Korean technology manufacturers, although big names have stayed away due to the Park's precarious position ten …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Captain DaFt
    Mushroom

The good professor makes one big assumption; That the man in charge of North Korea is rational.

There hasn't been a lot of evidence for that so far...

1. Danny 14
      Thumb Down

or actually in charge. Surely he is just a puppet figurehead and doesnt actually make any decisions at all? From the scant few TV clips ive seen the youngster looks stoned or simply unaware of anything that is happening around him.

2. TheVogon
      Mushroom

Surely we need someone with substantial experience of dealing with demanding Norks involved - say Jordan for instance?

2. frank ly

re. business boffin

I thought it was understood that the word 'boffin' could only be used to describe someone with extreme technical and scientific ability; someone who even other engineers and scientists had difficulty in following. Being a professor does not make one a boffin. Business and marketing, etc, people can't be boffins no matter how good they are. Yes, I'm a snob.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you North Korea and the Press for now ruining a perfectly good word

NORKS: This term should only be used in reference to lady bouncy bits, bun bags, and jubblies. Now phrases involving NORKS have been ruined. For ever more when I fondle NORKS or put my head between some NORKS I will have this image of a psycho leader with a 80's rject hairstyle...

Thanks for nothing

1. Eddie Hotchkiss
      Mushroom

Or Nudist Protest

With the title of the piece maybe its a naked woman showing off her charms that have closed the enclave

4. g e
    Holmes

"bemuses Hyland"

He's obviously a bear of somewhat restricted brain...

To change policy would be like a tacit admission of being wrong, so making the glorious leader a little less glorious.

Look how long it took Catholics to officially accept the Copernican (and earlier than Copernicus, though he takes the credit mainly) Heliocentric model if you want and example of how long some people want to give the appearance of maybe not admitting they got something wrong.

Also the expectedly rapid (over a decade or less maybe) industrialisation of NK if the floodgates were opened would tear the country to bits as people would need internet to do business and then folks get exposed to ideas like hotdogs, cocaine and recreational gun use. Then before you know it they're all spelling colour incorrectly and the government is at sixes and sevens.

Then again, sounds like a CIA wet dream.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are the South Koreans Sorks?

Like AC above, I was prompted to make a comment, regarding the recent adoption of the "Norks" word around these parts.

I hate political correctness with a passion but can't help but hear echoes of the word "gooks" here, as used during the Vietnam war. It's always been policy to dehumanise the opposition first, prior to dropping the bombs.

1. g e

Re: Are the South Koreans Sorks?

No.

They're Souks

Which is a kind of North-African Market IIRC

2. Rampant Spaniel

Re: Are the South Koreans Sorks?

Perhaps you are right, or at least would have been right decades ago. Honestly these days the emotions north koreans envoke is sympathy rather than hatred. Perhaps hatred towards one or two of them, but living in America, what I hear is pity for the poor buggers living such tough lives under the mental smurf. Pretty much one of the last countries you would expect to be sympathetic to norks given the history, rhetoric and political ideologies. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find people with plenty bad to say, but you always will, theres always a loony for every cause.

I can understand the motivation and obligation the US is under but I don't believe there is any political or social will for a conflict given the past 12 years. Nor do I believe China or Russia want to see a conflict, it would be bad for business, the US wouldn't be buying the weapons and the norks have no money to, so it's just going to damage their economies. There will be lots of cock measuring then somebody will throw them a tanker of fertiliser and it will all calm down again.

6. Sceptic Tank Silver badge
    Big Brother

M*A*S*H*

I look forward to the next season(s) of M*A*S*H* once the war breaks out again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: M*A*S*H*

I wonder who would play Hawkeye, Alan Alda is getting a little long in the tooth.

Not to mention the fact they'll still be playing the "new" series a good 50 years from now. (We still have the original showing on television here today, and the series was shot in the 70's.)

7. Rampant Spaniel

Do as I say not as I do.

Seems to be the tyrants creedo.

Uses a macbook, follows decadent capitalist sports, sports an unauthorised haircut, wears nikes, porks out whilst his peeps starve. No matter my thoughts on his political ideology, the man is a festering cnut of the highest order. The ideology is nothing but a method of control rather than his belief.

1. Trustme
      Devil

Re: Do as I say not as I do.

"Uses a macbook, follows decadent capitalist sports, sports an unauthorised haircut, wears nikes, porks out whilst his peeps starve.......the man is a festering cnut of the highest order"

If he's not careful he'll end up as CEO of Apple.....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like