back to article Microsoft's 'Gemini' project will be the Windows Blue of Office

Even as Microsoft has publicly acknowledged the existence of Windows "Blue," the much-buzzed-about Service Pack reworking of Windows 8 due later this year, the rumor mill is already churning with rumblings about a similar update project underway for Office 2013. According to Redmond-watcher Mary-Jo Foley's sources, that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. stephajn

Gemini should...

...bring back the menu system and ditch the Ribbon. (Not holding my breath for that one)

But it should also bring back a bit more colour to the Office suite. The washed out white look is so brutal to look at and work with. Allow for the same sort of customization that Visual Studio 2012 got with its colour editor.

1. jonathanb Silver badge

Re: Gemini should...

File | Account | Office Theme | Light Gray[sic] or Dark Gray[sic] will do the trick as far as the washed out look is concerned.

2. Steve78

Re: Gemini should...

That menu system was bloody awful! The ribbon makes so much more sense with most things grouped together logically. Granted, it wasn't implemented perfectly in Office 2007 but it was much better in Office 2010 and tweaked and perfected in Office 2013.

Some of you people are so stuck in your ways. You need to change and move with the times and if you can't do this then you are working in the wrong industry.

3. The_Regulator

Ribbon Bad? I Think Not

The ribbon is way better than the dated menus from windows XP and earlier iterations of the Windows OS. Not sure (other than being stuck in your ways) how you could think otherwise.

2. JassMan

Tempting fate a bit

naming your OS after the famous BSOD of previous versions. If as claimed, the new version is more stable than previous, the last thing you want to do is remind your customers of its pedigree.

Also waiting for a lawsuit from IBM who have surely trademarked the word blue in relation to computing.

1. stephajn

Re: Tempting fate a bit

"Also waiting for a lawsuit from IBM who have surely trademarked the word blue in relation to computing."

And from NASA for the Gemini name.

3. JDX Gold badge

It only makes sense a subscription based suite should upgrade much more frequently and with less hoo-hah about new versions, only new features.

Does anyone know if IE10 is being included in this model or will that remain monolithic?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IE11 is part of the Blue updates. Notable changes include tab syncing, and better Skydrive integration.

4. BlueGreen

"ongoing rhythm of updates ... bold, connected and exciting new scenarios"

Utter tossellated wankspeak.

"so people get what they want" - Fucking as if. Ribbon's shit, Win 8 is shit, sql server is well on its way to becoming shit. Not what I want.

Some of us have jobs to do whereas you, Mr. Shaw, only think you do. You'll fuck us over with your next release and shrieks of anger and a falling market share will be like unpretty wallpaper that never -quite- makes its way into your bovine self-satisfied awareness. Your breed are a disease. Literally.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Utter tossellated wankspeak.

I concur, and upvoted for that little phrase.

5. Mikel
    Coat

Gemini were better the Windows codename

Given the duality of its aspects.

1. Euripides Pants

Re: Gemini were better the Windows codename

Janus would be more appropriate.

6. Rattus Rattus

Will these updates...

...dump the fucking Ribbon and give me back my menus? Will it get rid of Metro or whatever the fuck that design student's multicoloured vomit is called now? If not, then I am not interested and will still not be installing Windows 8.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Continual imposition of change by Redmond arrogance

"Our product groups are also taking a unified planning approach so people get what they want – all of their devices, apps and services working together wherever they are and for whatever they are doing."

Meaning that every few months, new features, courtesy of the "Redmond know best" mindset, will be imposed, in a coordinated manner across their whole set of offerings, so that no-one can escape the continual frustration, loss of productivity, disruption, etc. that results when change is forced on Users, preventing them from working in ways that they prefer and find most productive.

The totalitarian arrogance of this approach to Users is breathtaking.

8. SuperFrog
    Paris Hilton

I know I'm the oddball.

I actually miss the formatting palette for the mac version prior to 2010. The Ribbon is ok but I miss the screen real-estate that the floating palette allowed me. Had to get a damn bigger screen!

9. HarveyK
    Happy

This "Gemini" codename is bringing us @ Countersoft a whole load of Microsoft traffic given our product is called Gemini and built on the Microsoft stack!

10. bed
    Thumb Down

Windows RT and Office

"...especially given that even Windows RT, which otherwise only allows Windows Store apps, comes bundled with a full desktop version of Office 20"

1) Which full desktop version?

2) Including Visual Basic for Applications?

3) And InfoPath Designer / Filler, Sharepoint Workspace, Publisher and, even, Visio (which claims to be part of Office)?

Hey ho, sloppy journalism strikes again.

11. The_Regulator

Eventually they will get it right....

At some point Microsoft will get it right and be able to unify a lot of things, in the meantime we will continue to bitch about it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

here's what they need to save windows 8 and some face at same time

They cannot dump metro, they've pushed it too hard. Same thing with start page.

But it's turning off the majority of Windows users, and companies are going with Windows 7 to avoid the obvious user problems they're going to have with 8.

A compromise fix would be a setting that puts back a start button, which launches a menu which looks like the start page, but small icons. Similar to old start menu, with the search box, but metro kind of feel.

Then instead of having metro apps full screen on desktop mode, allow Win 8 apps (especially phone ones) to run in a sidebar - kind of like the old widget bar. It would be quite cool to be able to run familiar phone apps like facebook, twitter, etc. in a sidebar on a desktop, especially if they sync with your phone.

This is basically what Windows 8 should have done re phone integration if they wanted to encourage existing users into it, instead of just forcing it on them.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like