back to article Hard Man of Facebook: We might just eat those cheap TLC flash chips

Micron has built the world's smallest 3-bits per cell NAND chip, targeting USB stick memory and the like, while Facebook's open source hardware guru has indicated such chips could be used in its cloud's data centres providing ultra-cheap flash storage. TLC (Triple-Level Cell) NAND Technology has 3 bits per cell, one more than …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    WTF?

Sorry ?

"you wouldn't need techies swarming all over the data centre replacing broken disk drives from the tens of thousands that would be needed"

No, instead you'll techies swarming all over the data centre replacing used TLC chips.

I don't see the difference.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Arrggh! What happened to the Edit function ?

"you'll need techies . . ."

1. John Robson Silver badge

Why remove them?

Just add another rack (and optionally power them down)

Besides with cold storage I suspect that the lifetime of most of the cells in the TLC will be good, they'll be read alot (eventually), but rarely written to.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why should techies be replacing disk drives at all?

I thought Facebook treated drives similar to the way Google does, so that bad drives can be simply removed from the storage cloud and left ignored and broken where they sit until the server gets replaced? It just doesn't seem worth the trouble to replace individual drives in such an environment, so TLC SSDs aren't needed.

1. Cris E

Re: Why should techies be replacing disk drives at all?

They might be copying Google now, but if they can go even cheaper and save on power to boot I don't see why they'd stay that course.

3. Marvin the Martian
    Paris Hilton

Is that a weather chart he's standing in front of?

Crazy wind, but still pea soup coloured mist?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like