back to article We're not making this up: Apple trademarks the SHOP

After trademarking the leaf and patenting the rectangle, Apple has outdone itself by trademarking the shop. The US Patent and Trademark office last week granted Apple's application to trademark a retail store featuring computers. It is the "distinctive design and layout" that Apple now holds the unique design rights to, thanks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

Prior art ?

The city centre PCWorld/Currys has a very similar look, only in dark, muted colours .....

1. Annihilator
      Coat

Re: Prior art ?

Yes but their tables are perpendicular to the wall, instead of parallel. Phew!

1. hplasm
        Meh

As are the iTables in the Manchester Arndale iShop... non-compliant with Head Orifice?

2. timcroydon
      FAIL

Prior art is for patents not trademarks

3. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Really? You don't think that perhaps the Apple store layout precedes the PC World one?

4. Simon Harris

My local Sony Centre looks quite similar too.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

The Apple shops are very different to all others. There's a far higher concentration of pillocks among staff and customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At least they have customers...

2. JohnG

"The Apple shops are very different to all others. There's a far higher concentration of pillocks among staff and customers."

Yes - but they haven't made that distinction clear in their application.

3. LinkOfHyrule
        Joke

Re: concentration of pillocks among staff and customers.

"The Apple shops are very different to all others. There's a far higher concentration of pillocks among staff and customers."

Wow, did you enter a cheat for getting lots of upvotes or something or do only Apple haters read stories about Apple?

P.S. Fuck Apple lol

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

More pillocks than here? 115 pillocks to be precise.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I've seen some phone shops definitely fit those descriptions - cant remember which though?

1. wowfood
        Facepalm

3 shop in west key southampton had a very similar layout.

As did the 7th floor IT classroom at solent, room... 9 I think? Massive room, exact same layout just on a larger scale.

Also the office I work in has the same layout,

Honestly how can you trademark the placement of other objects? If they'd invented something new then sure, but for the love of all that isn't apple... the USPTO really is filled with a bunch of nincompoops.

1. The FunkeyGibbon

Quite apart from the good point you have made, please have an up-vote for the use of the word 'nincompoops'. Bravo sir! :-)

2. skellious

orange UK certainly used to do something quite similar

3. rvt
        Trollface

"I've seen some phone shops definitely fit those descriptions - cant remember which though?"

Must have been Samsung store...

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quote: "I've seen some phone shops".

Vodafone, Three and O2 in the UK (most other countries still use old arrangement). It is post-Apple-retail though, 10 years ago it used to use different arrangement. The phones used to be on the wall with most of the shop open space. They copied the Apple retail standard arrangement as it allows more customers to wonder around tat to choose.

Rather pointless too as you are least likely to see a crowd of fanboi climbing over each other when a new "normal people" phone is released.

5. Rattus Rattus

Re: phone shops

The Vodafone stores here in Aus certainly have that exact layout, just less blindingly white.

1. Danny 14
          FAIL

Re: phone shops

loads of mobile phone shops look like this. Ive seen an O2 shop look like this. Not as white (the O2 shop was still white) but they all had phones along the walls, the shop was longer than wider and had tables with a central walkway to the tills. The tables were narrowish but had products on them - some in glass cases with various bumf. Game also looked like this before it closed down

Just goes to shop how completely broken the US Patent Office really is.

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why the 'f' not - after all if they don't every bugger would just copy it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Quote: "Why the 'f' not - after all if they don't every bugger would just copy it."

Every bugger has copied it even when it is pointless. Voda, O2, Three have all switched from "stock on the walls" to tables and stock on them. The counter has been replaced by a table for staff which sometimes so anti-ergonomic that it reminds me of theregister ikea/Jobbs spoof (vodafone) and asking for a H&S intervention. And so on.

All of it pointless as Apple store is designed for a high-flow of fanboi falling over each over to see tat. Most other retail outlets do not have to handle anything near that level of flow.

8. James Micallef Silver badge
      Thumb Up

It seems trivial and obvious, but there is a subtle difference. Pretty much every store I've been in uses desks / stands, not tables (and definitely no stools / chairs). Their wares are there to be looked at, not played around with.

On teh other hand when I've been to an Apple store I could stop here and there and take 15-30 minutes to actually tray something properly instead of playing around for a few seconds.

So, may or may not warrant a trademark, but what they're doing is definitely better than what everyone else is.

1. Michael Nidd

> So, may or may not warrant a trademark, but what they're doing is definitely better than what everyone else is.

Actually, that would kill it. Something that gives a functional advantage cannot be trademarked. Patents are for useful innovations; trademarks are to distinguish something in the mind of customers. That's why the Coke bottle shape is a trademark, but an electric razor with three rotating heads is not (any more).

2. the spectacularly refined chap

It seems trivial and obvious, but there is a subtle difference. Pretty much every store I've been in uses desks / stands, not tables (and definitely no stools / chairs). Their wares are there to be looked at, not played around with.

Think a bit more broadly than simply phone shops. Tables parallel to the walls, shelving along those walls, stools... it sounds very much like most book shops in fact. No mention of what the actual merchandise is, in the quotes in the article at least.

9. Frankee Llonnygog

Microsoft trademarked their store design in October 2011, as reported on the Reg, only that story didn't have all the phony outrage.

I can't be arsed to search, but I'm willing to bet every retailer of any significance has trademarked their store design. You'd be on okay grounds trying to shut down a bogus store if you didn't have the right trademarks in place.

So, why all the bogus outrage? Oh yes, because it's Apple.

1. hazydave

No... not prior art (well, this isn't a patent, but still), but not for the usual reasons. Have you recently been in a Microsoft store. Ok, no one has, but I've seen pictures. They don't look anything like that trademark document's drawings... they look exactly like Apple stores now. Guess it's that whole "tablets and phones" thing, must force one into the same design, can't help it, fact of nature, move along now.

And of course, no, no one bothered with Microsoft's trademark. Again, humans have yet to actually visit Microsoft stores. And their original design was ugly and stupid... a harbinger of Metro, I suppose. Apple's important, so naturally, things they do, good or bad, attract attention.

2. croc

Microsoft store?

(Blink - Blink) Microsoft Store? They have some? Where...? (checks Sydney CBD... Nope, not there... Lifts Melbourne's skirts... Nada. Here little store...)

10. Adam 1

To be fair, I have not seen any other place of worship with this sort of layout.

1. Gannon (J.) Dick
        Pint

I was about to remark about the seeming lack of space for the institution's Piano Player, but yes, of course, House of Worship.

2. John Bailey

Two lines of devotional spots, an aisle down the middle.. All they need is a pulpit and an altar. And an organ at the back.

Hey.. they could call the staff area the vestry...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shamsung stores

copied them (like they do) and opened them nearby too!

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/store-wars-samsung-apple-gadgets-at-10-paces-20120823-24njn.html

1. nexsphil

Re: Shamsung stores

I was about to slap you for being a shill, but that article shows some pretty blatant shammery. Shamsung indeed.

2. Shagbag

US patents and trademarks aren't enforceable outside of the US.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"US patents and trademarks aren't enforceable outside of the US."

Thank <deity>.

3. Lunatik
    Trollface

Hats off...

Apple is the Über Troll. Watch the paroxysms of rage and impotence engulf forums across the globe!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hats off...

Actually, they were OK when it comes to hardware, just innovation appears to have come to a grinding halt. However, all this idiotic legal crap is seriously destroying my desire to buy more product from them. If they really think they need to do this to address competition they are evidently no longer interested in development.

Status quo and me too I can buy from anyone..

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed. I almost suspect Apple do it to piss Anna Leach off, as she's clearly so upset by Apple's success she has to try and put a negative spin on anything they do.

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

she has to try and put a negative spin on anything they do

Umm, huh? I must have missed that. Where was she giving this news a negative spin other than where it really deserves it? As far as I can see the article is far more neutral than this idiocy deserves..

4. Shonko Kid
    Mushroom

So, presumably non-rectangular tables would be OK then?

I mean, FFS Apple, I hope Samsung open a shiny store and use tables that have rounded corners. In Cupertino.

1. Chad H.

Re: ...

Well, to be fair, this seems in response not to some hypothetical copying... Theres a few mac retailers who seem to ape the look.

2. Andrew_b65
      WTF?

...or two square tables arranged adjacent to each other forming a rectangle, but not actually being a rectangle?

Fuck me! This is all so pathetic. I hope @pple burn all their cash hoard on lawyers, wankers!

1. Stratman

A square is a rectangle.

1. Annihilator
          Thumb Up

@Stratman - no idea who'd vote you down for a square being a rectangle?? A square is also a parallelogram and a quadrilateral. And a polygon for that matter. And a closed polygonal chain :-)

2. Ben Rosenthal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdREEcfaihg

3. Phil Endecott

> presumably non-rectangular tables would be OK then?

How about adding some rounded corners....

4. Adam 1

I for one can't wait for Apple lawyers to argue that having rounded corners doesn't make it materially different to a rectangle with squared edges.

5. Rob Crawford

Checks date

Not 01 April

Dear apple, fuck off

6. Fab De Marco

I know its basis is an Internet meme but....

I really don't want to live on this planet any more.

1. Jedit Silver badge
      Stop

"I really don't want to live on this planet any more."

That's a foolish attitude to have, Fab. You should not want Apple to live on this planet any more.

7. Danny 5
    WTF?

someone please tell me

when this patent madness will end?

Surely patenting a room design is impossible? Or has the world truely gone mad?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like