back to article Titsup Windows Phone 8 orders user to cram 'boot disc' in mobe

A Windows Phone 8-using wag claims he provoked his Microsoft handset into asking for an installation DISC - with a boot manager error message familiar to anyone who's wrestled with Windows NT. The offending boot screen At least it didn't do a blue screen of death The error is by no means standard and - we're told - only …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Bob Vistakin
    WTF?

True innovation

Right there in the palm of your hand.

1. LarsG
      Meh

The next

The next lot of mobile phones circa 2013, will have even bigger screens so there will be an opportunity to install a disc drive in them. Problem solved.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The next

...and you wonder why phone OEMs lock down bootloaders and try to stop people flashing their own firmware. It is to stop this sort of publicity caused by people messing around with the OS.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No RICHTO, we know why Windows phone manufacturers ("OEMs" in Microsoft corporatespeak) lock down bootloaders and try to stop people flashing their own firmware. It's because the licensing agreement with Microsoft requires it. Microsoft wouldn't want people wiping the virus off their new (subsidised) purchase and installing better on it. What would Microsoft gain from that?

2. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

> ...and you wonder why phone OEMs lock down bootloaders and try to stop people flashing their own firmware. It is to stop this sort of publicity caused by people messing around with the OS.

This would not be a problem on my phone. I could just use an OTG cable and plug a CD drive into it.

3. Citizen White
          Stop

Are you advocating a position that users should not be able to do what they want with their own property?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> will have even bigger screens so there will be an opportunity to install a disc drive in them

Well the Lumia 710 and 820 did suddenly add a microSD slot ... seems like a suitably mini "disc" drive.

2. JDX Gold badge

Re: True innovation

Unlike Android of course, built on an OS that pre-dates Windows NT.

1. Ian McNee
        Linux

@JDX: You, sir, are a troll, though a troll with a very nice gold badge!

For once I'm going to give M$ the benefit of the doubt here: maybe there is some wag of a code monkey in the WinPho8 dev team who mocked-up this screen to be displayed on a boot failure likely to have been caused by tinkering with the standard boot image. Surely someone at M$ has a sense of humour...surely...

1. hplasm
          Happy

That's what the big Tiles are hiding...

2. Dana W
          Meh

I'll believe a lot, but someone at Microsoft having a sense of humor? That is TOO much to ask.

1. Mr_Bungle
            Alert

You don't think the guy just took a photo of a desktop PC bootscreen error, then displayed it fullscreen on the phone?

Would be a fine joke to play.

2. JEDIDIAH
        Linux

> Unlike Android of course, built on an OS that pre-dates Windows NT.

NT is a VMS knockoff. So that means that it is no spring chicken either.

3. the-it-slayer
      Facepalm

Re: True innovation - and laziness?

The fact you can scoop out an error message (regardless whether it's been hacked or not) that's designed originally for desktop OSes is pure laziness in my own opinion. To disguise it is worse. It really serves nothing more than some embarrassing headlines, but still; it's nasty to the common consumer user who'd be totally confused with such an error if one of the key files corrupted.

Even the title for the error page isn't centred. Sheesh.

1. Charles Calthrop
        WTF?

assuming that the common consumer mucks about with their flash rom image

I bet that if you asked a man on the clapham omnibus if you could muck about with his flash rom image to show him something funny, you would get a smack.

1. the-it-slayer
          Facepalm

What about over-the-air updates that could go wrong due to the battery cutting our or some data becoming corrupt during the download process? This is what I mean. You don't see Androids and iPhones chucking out random guzzle that consumers don't understand.

Flashing the ROM on a WP Phone is the same as asking iTunes to do a restore on an iPhone (to a certain degree). How can anyone defend the laziness Microsoft has showed here to tie up loose ends?

1. fiddley
            Thumb Up

http://www.flickr.com/photos/coreforce/3562389946/

1. the-it-slayer
              Happy

@fiddley - okay, you have me on that one. still, i like the fact they're prepared to put a funny within their crash code... "we are hanging here".

1. sabroni Silver badge
                Thumb Up

Agreed! When I see Chrome crash and take down Windows with it, it's the hilarious Star Trek message ("it's dead Jim") that makes the loss of all my work bearable.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"When I see Chrome crash and take down Windows with it"

You use an OS where a program crash will take it down ? Good grief !

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: You use an OS where a program crash will take it down ? Good grief !

Yeah, I just don't use chrome. I've not had any other program crash the OS. I run Safari, firefox, Iron, Opera and sometime even IE and they all manage to run without breaking the OS. I guess those Google engineers are just really clever (as well as really funny!).

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: You use an OS where a program crash will take it down ? Good grief !

Actually, thinking about it, it doesn't crash the OS so much as make it shut down. It goes through the same process it goes through when you click shut down, so it's not technically a crash, it's an unwanted reboot...

2. MIc
        Thumb Down

you are just talkin' mess.

Why would you spend the resources to take it out especially is the actual server and desktop OS still need that code? Why would you spend the time and money to remove a scenario that you can only get to by screwing with the boot loader? What % of smart phone owners do that?

You my friend would make a terrible dev manager and or PM.

4. CmdrX3
      Thumb Down

Because android phones don't crash into those kinds of death screens....

http://instagram.com/p/UYNjOVHjD4/

and Apples iDevices don't either....

http://instagram.com/p/UYN-zoHjEC/

Perhaps it's simply because it asks for the disk, in that case...BFD. By the way those photos are from links in the comments from the page that you posted in another article Bob, but maybe you didn't read that far in your excitement to get another anti-MS comment posted. You (again) fail to mention this "true innovation" happened because they were pissing about with their phones and flashing firmwares.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The two trolls must share a bedsit and woke one another up to post!

Newsflash : Messing around flashing your phone may break it. Coming up : Windows Phone 8 built on NT kernel.

Pretty pathetic excuse for linkbait if you ask me.

1. Natalie Gritpants

May have a point

It shows there is some code in there to handle errors that should never happen. How did Microsoft test that code? Are there any bugs in it? Even if you assume the code identical to and fully tested on other platforms it shows there is unreachable code that make your ROM bigger than it need be i.e. more expensive, slower and more power hungry (more cache misses).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: May have a point

Says to me that all those vicious rumours, dismissed by experts like RICHTO, that Windows had layer upon layer of old code lurking under the bonnet were all true.

1. vagabondo
          Facepalm

AC -- what time-zone are you in? Wake up. Don't take everything so seriously. It was mildly amusing. Enjoy a grin/smirk while you have your coffee.

Or are you one of MS's attack dogs just doing your job?

1. Fatman
            FAIL

Re: Or are you one of MS's attack dogs just doing your job?

Loverock Davidson strikes again!

2. Ian Yates

Has anyone found any detail on what he was doing?

I can't find anything on whether he has played with the shipped ROM and found an error that shouldn't be displayed (so, hidden code) or whether he's shifted a ROM from a different product across, where the error would make sense.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@AC "Says to me that all those vicious rumours, dismissed by experts like RICHTO, that Windows had layer upon layer of old code lurking under the bonnet were all true"

How does it show that? All it shows is that there is some code in this part of the system which exists for both the WP, probably RT, Desktop and Server versions of NT.

In other news, MS make a big thing about the fact that it's the same core OS on each device.

2. Androgynous Crackwhore
        Gimp

What does "Gritpants" mean?.. I think we may have met in person?

3. Anonymous Coward 15

It shows there is some code in there to handle errors that should never happen.

Anything that Should Never Happen (tm) will happen.

4. El Andy

"It shows there is some code in there to handle errors that should never happen. How did Microsoft test that code? Are there any bugs in it?"

They tested it by having it in the Windows source for the last couple of decades. #1 rule of large-scale software engineering is not to mess with code that doesn't need it. Do you really think it would be a good idea to fork the NT kernel just so that an error message you'd never see on a phone isn't included? Every little change like that exponentially increases the test matrix, making a future failure all the more likely.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@ El Andy: Eh? Even rewording the text of error messages? Just how fragile can the NT kernel be? Shhhhhhhh... Softly now... you might crash your phone.

3. Monty Burns

SHOCK!

Non-standard, f*&ked with ROM shows Non-standard error!

And the story is...... ?

1. Syntax Error

Re: SHOCK!

Windows8 is realy NT in disguise!

1. Monty Burns

Re: SHOCK!

"Windows8 is realy NT in disguise!"

I'm guessing that since this is about Windows PHONE 8, you mean Windows PHONE 8

And, so....?

So are pretty much all the other Windows releases, probably also including the ones most of us use on our Windows desktops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT

4. Herby

Next step?

So, now one presses CTRL-ALT-DEL?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This article smells of queef.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So does your mum.

6. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Could have been worse

At least it didn't ask him to press F1 to continue...

7. Schultz

It's so retro, It'll be chic

Better, of course, with a proper blue screen and the 'press any key' option.

1. Gordo Rex
      Coat

Re: It's so retro, It'll be chic

Sorry, but I'm not sure where they put the ANY key on those phones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Remind me again which One was the Any Key?

1. Simon Westerby 1
        Joke

> Remind me again which One was the Any Key?

Duh! Its the on next to the Other Key ...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hopefully someone will hack it so it displays a proper blue BSOD. Come on MS! Where is the gut wrenching, oh shit when I have not saved my work kind of BSOD?

1. S4qFBxkFFg
      Joke

I thought fake BSOD apps were 20% of the Windows Phone Store?

1. Simon Harris
        Facepalm

BSOD

I had a photograph of a Windows 98 BSOD as the screensaver image on an old Sony-Ericsson phone.

My girlfriend at the time really thought she'd crashed my phone!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: BSOD

Is that why she dumped you?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like