back to article Australian cops bust Romanian credit card thieves

Australia's Federal Police (AFP) has triumphantly announced it has brought a gang of Romanian credit card fraudsters to heel, but not before the criminals purloined half a million credit card numbers from small Australian retailers. Detective superintendent Brad Marden, the AFP's national co-ordinator for cybercrime operations …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Steve Foster
    Headmaster

Hmmm

"Australia's Federal Police (AFP) has triumphantly announced it has brought a gang of Romanian credit card fraudsters to heel, but not before they purloined half a million credit card numbers from small Australian retailers."

Why are the AFP purloining credit card numbers from small Australian retailers? Are they not getting by on the proceeds from selling impounded drugs?

2. Johnny Canuck

Thieves

3. My Opinion
    Headmaster

Australian cops bust Romanian credit card theives

Is thieves spelled differently in Australian?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Australian cops bust Romanian credit card theives

No, that is special wrestler spelling.

While at it, how the world changed. It was only 15 years ago Bulgarian and Romanian wrestlers got their daily bread through trivial classic "shake the retailer" physical racket. Fast forward 15 years and they do high tech crime. Woa... I thought that VIF (Bulgarian top sports school) and its Romanian equivalent did a pretty good job at converting every bit of grey matter into nice thick muscle. Guess not...

In any case, Aussies get whatever Christmas they deserve here - VIF (and its Romanian equivalent) were getting automatic recognition in the AU points immigration systems while all tech schools from Eastern Europe did not. Ditto for being an exemplary hormone assisted knucklehead (sorry, "power" sportsman from certain eastern European countries) versus technical people. The former got points, the latter did not.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, in this case they got knuckleheads who were also sufficiently tech savvy enough to commit computer crime. A win, win really.

1. Elmer Phud

Usually only the grunts get caught.

Despite the presence of some tech gear, the suppliers of the tech stuff and those who actually trouser the loot are far away.

4. Bernd Felsche
    Facepalm

Punters aren't out of pocket?

"Australian financial institutions have made sure punters aren't out of pocket, refunding them for fraudulent purchases."

Watch for the next bank fee hike.

As far as retailers are concerned, many "understand" that it's sufficient to have cameras record offences taking place. Then they let their insurers deal with the losses. Rising insurance premiums?

NB: The upcoming CCC conference is entitled "Not my department.". Entirely relevant.

5. Schultz

Some 10$ per transaction ...

and they got busted? My airline got away with that for years now and I don't have the impression they'll get busted anytime soon.

6. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
    Black Helicopters

Sounds familiar...

I think I know of some US-based small businesses that were hit by this group. That is, unless Romanians targeting small business credit card point of sale systems through remote desktop management software is common. Kudos to the Aussies for nailing them!

7. Tree

Windows again

Please turn this Remote Desktop off on YOUR 'puter! Go to Control Panel, System, advanced, then advanced again and uncheck the box allowing remote use. Why this is on by default is a big mistake by Microsoft. They may know not to track you but are invited in to have a look at your computer's contents.

1. Big-nosed Pengie

Re: Windows again

"Windows security" is an oxymoron.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like