back to article BT: Olympics cyber attackers were amateurs

Twelve year old hacktivists and journalists with infected laptops were the biggest info security threats to the London 2012 Games - an event which in the end was notable for the absence of a major cyber attack, BT has revealed. The telco giant was in charge of supporting the official London2012.com site and the huge IP …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

Kids nowadays, eh?

"... while another replied incredulously to a colleague giving them a hard time “what do you expect, I’m only 12?”

I can't decide if that's a wonderful thing or a terrible thing. The calm, mature and responsible part of me (a small part) thinks it's terrible. The other part thinks, 'I want that kid working for me when he grows up'.

1. The Jase

Re: Kids nowadays, eh?

He claimed he was 12, doesn't mean he was, or that he was actually a he either.

2. Thorne
    Trollface

Has anyone noticed?

That the London Olympics logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving a blowjob?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has anyone noticed?

Yes, everyone did, years ago...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Has anyone noticed?

Blimey where have you been for the last decade?

3. Magister
    Pint

Pat on the back

This is the problem that we all face. Do the work to prevent things going titsup and they question if you were crying wolf; don't do the work and get crucified when it all goes pear shaped.

I think that the people working on the Olympics infrastructure deserve a beer for a job very well done. (Or at least a pat on the back)

4. pklong
    Windows

So just script kiddies and the folk good enough to not get caught then.

1. handle

Good enough to not get caught?

So good that they didn't manage to do any damage either?

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

"what do you expect, I’m only 12?"

In a William Gibson novel, that kind of Count Zero gets brainfried remotely, then their parents' house gets visited by a missile.

THAT's security.

6. dephormation.org.uk
    Big Brother

Ironic

<< If they were looking for people who were a threat to networked computer systems, the only technology they required was a mirror.

1. envmod

Re: Ironic

good one

7. Emmett Jenner
    Big Brother

Surprised

Surprised that hacking the olympics wasn't a more popular venture? I'm not. Don't think the olympics was very interesting to a majority of the population.... despite the hype.

8. Zmodem

BT talk ass about everything, they just stole everyone else bandwidth and made the net crap and tedius to use for 2 or 3 weeks

you can take down anything with a good botnet, and a central node to send out time commands, so the whole botnet is synced and targeted with reverse connections to the central node

This topic is closed for new posts.