back to article Ancient vulnerability sparks world-wide hypegasm

A class of attack against radio networks documented as far back as the year 2000 has pulled worldwide headlines by being highlighted in a submission to the US government. The submission, here, has gained notoriety all over the world, starting with Technology Review which headlined it “One simple trick could disable a city’s 4G …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone always forgets about the uplink.

It's much easier to attack a base station or multiple bs and very difficult to detect if done right, and has size of matchbox. For a high power downlink sync channel, that would be difficult and not very effective methinks, it needs too many things to work right, like good coverage, poor signal from real network, big antennas, high power=good location for a base site. Wipe out a city? hardly.

2. Dave Bell

Mainstream journalists ignore history! Film at 11.

You guys at Vulture Central do a good job.

3. Garf

Rushed this one out?

The spelling needs work!

...in these paranoid days, to good to resist.

definitely a "too" there.

On thing becomes clear, very rapidly....

and I'm pretty sure that's "One"

Ta,

Garf

4. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Ancient...

Birkinshaw (Fred Emney) wandered around Turin knocking out CCTV cameras this way in The Italian Job (1969).

I've got my coat but the doors seem to be stuck...

1. frank ly

Re: Ancient...

I've got some explosives. I'll blow them off for you.

1. Rob
        Coat

Re: Ancient...

As long as it's only the bloody doors you blow off.

5. crowley

"hypegasm" - quite. So why the hell is El Reg joining in?

1. Crazy Operations Guy

To keep us from wasting our time

IF they didn't report that it was all crap and actually presented the facts, we would have wasted time reading the story from a mainstream outlet, which pads the hell out of these types of articles.

6. humanist

Ancient?

In 1935 I built a Tesla Coil that disrupted radio reception beyond my neighbourhood and that was without an aerial, so how difficult is it to disrupt communication?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like