back to article Belize PM: McAfee boss is 'bonkers', should 'man up and talk to cops'

Belize Prime Minister Dean Barrow has called the founder of McAfee antivirus software "bonkers" and "extremely paranoid", wading into discussion over internet guru's decision to first hide in the sand and then go on the run from the police in the Central American country. "I don't want to be unkind," said the PM in remarks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bumpy Cat

Mad as a hatter

There's a good article here, from before the murder investigation. Sounds like the guy just went over the edge, and used his considerable wealth to follow some strange ideas:

http://gizmodo.com/5958877/secrets-schemes-and-lots-of-guns-inside-john-mcafees-heart-of-darkness?tag=john-mcafee

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Mad as a hatter

More to the point, he's a drug addict used to ingesting large amounts of drugs known to induce psychosis.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I see Uzbekibelizstan!

Sounds like he's salted, all right.

2. EddieD

Aye, I agree with the PM

He's mad. But he's rich, and therefore only eccentric.

As Bernard Wooley said on "Yes, Minister" - 'It's one of those irregular verbs minister - I have an individual mind, you are eccentric, he is round the twist..."

3. Dr_N
    Thumb Up

He should ask...

...(Lord) Michael Ashcroft for some help.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

High as a kite

"McAfee's purported interest in extracting medicine from jungle plants provided him a wholesome justification for building a well-equipped chemistry lab in a remote corner of Belize. The specific properties of the drugs he was attempting to isolate also fit in well with what those closest to him have reported: that he is an enthusiastic amateur pharmacologist with a longstanding interest in drugs that induce sexual behavior in women. Indeed, former friends of McAfee have said he could be extremely persistent and devious in trying to coerce women who rebuff his advances to have sex with him."

http://gizmodo.com/5959812/john-mcafee-wanted-for-murder

1. Spleen

Re: High as a kite

You refer to that article and don't quote the bit where he discusses shoving 'bath salts' up your arse to induce 'hypersexual behaviour'?

Personally I can't think of anything more likely to turn on a woman than a man with dyed hair and moustache emerging from the jungle of Belize brandishing guns and foaming at the mouth and rectum. It all sounds like some sort of twisted Lynx advert.

1. Lord Voldemortgage
        Paris Hilton

I did some research

And now know that "bath salts" as referred to here is actually methylenedioxypyrovalerone.

So. Who wants to buy 10kg of Radox, barely soiled?

1. Thomas 4
          IT Angle

Re: I did some research

Rather apt, perhaps, that he submits his interviews to Wired...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: 10kg of Radox, barely soiled?

Vomit Removal service to Mr Thad's desk. Immediately, please.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Pint

> foaming at the mouth and rectum

I doubt he would be foaming at the rectum unless he actually put shampoo up the oxo. Here, you just want the molecule of interest to be absorbed in the blood stream.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I know of one cocker spaniel that ate a packet of Radox bath salts... apparently, whilst they have good noses they have an poor sense of taste. The reported symptom were 'mess from both ends'. No reports of hyper-sexual behaviour beyond the norm -(maybe some casual leg shagging) or of hallucinations - though how would one tell?

3. TeeCee Gold badge
        Coffee/keyboard

"...where he discusses shoving 'bath salts' up your arse to induce 'hypersexual behaviour'?"

Bath Bomb Bum Banditry? We're beyond "bonkers" there and off into stark, raving, batshit insanity. That'll be the sort of thing where they trot out the white blazer with the long sleeves and prescribe a course of lessons in the electric foxtrot.

BTW. You owe me a keyboard for "twisted Lynx advert.".

5. Anomalous Cowshed

Is this the next Wikilik self-promoting actor? Somebody who goes on the run from 'authorities' and somehow has the time and the ability to keep the press updated about the progress of his situation.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I hear he plans to seek asylum from Ecuador.

6. Valeyard
    Trollface

Legal Eagle

They can try to pin him down, but the trial will only last 30 days

After that they have to pony up and even then mcafee will slow down the whole process

1. Chris007
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: Legal Eagle @Valeyard

see icon

7. sabba
    Gimp

What a guy...

...don a disguise and then tell the international press.

I for one will be trying to spot the ginger haired, clean shaven bloke at customs!! The one with a full case of radox!!

8. Dr. Vesselin Bontchev

Bonkers

I know the man personally from his anti-virus days and I must agree with the Belize PM - he *is* bonkers. It's not a recent development, either.

I'm reasonably confident that he is not guilty of murder, though.

9. JEDIDIAH
    Linux

The painfully obvious...

Of course the guy is paranoid. He's in the security business. He wouldn't be doing what he does if he weren't paranoid. A little nuttiness probably goes along with the territory too.

Paranoid security guy? Imagine that...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The painfully obvious...

We're the best kind.

10. Mahou Saru

Putting McAfee's state of mind to one side....

I personally think in general politicians to be a bunch of power hungry liars, now if the chief power hungry liar came out and told me that they weren't after me, I think I would become a little paranoid too :p

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Putting McAfee's state of mind to one side....

True Almost as bad as having a politician announce that a person has their full confidence and support.

Coat time. The one with the bullet-proof lining.

This topic is closed for new posts.