back to article MPs slam Europe's plan for rejig of data protection law

A proposal to overhaul data protection law in Europe came under attack today from a panel of British MPs. The politicians have urged Brussels' justice commissioner Viviane Reding to rewrite her plan. A scathing report published this morning by the House of Commons Justice Select Committee warned that Reding's proposed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shock, MP's try and make a fuxx in the only thing that is left to them.

Simply put, MP's don't understand the DPA and if they did they would realise it is unknown to most, overused and badly abused by companies (like H&S) and every home user has no real idea that they openly break it or allow it to be broken by facebook, google and the new EA / Origin EULA etc.

They are already in the stick for the digitial britain fiasco (everyone has to be scanned, brought in by a non-elected person 1 week before election) and phorm (never resolved) so who is really gonna wonder why MP's kick off now?

Jobs worth perhaps because next year boundaries change and some are going to disappear, and because no one cares about them??????

2. Camilla Smythe
    WTF?

Must try this next time I need a wage rise...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201213/cmselect/cmjust/572/120917.htm

"Q115 Mr Llwyd: This leads me on to my next question. The Information Commissioner gave this Committee estimates of the impact on his office. He said that, if his office fulfilled the minimum duties required of them in the Regulation, they would in fact be seeking a 56% increase in funding amounting to £8.4 million. A more realistic estimate, given the new duties being imposed, could well turn out to be £28 million. The Commissioner said, memorably I think, "This system cannot work. Nobody will pay for it."

My question is: how will the Government fund the additional resources estimated at a minimum of £8.4 million that the Information Commissioner’s Office will require?"

-

-

-

"The Commissioner said, memorably I think, "This system cannot work. Nobody will pay for it.""

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like