back to article Google updates Street View with 250,000 miles of footage

Google has released its biggest-ever update to Street View, adding 250,000 miles of updated photography and double the number of image collections from notable spots around the world. "We're increasing Street View coverage in Macau, Singapore, Sweden, the US, Thailand, Taiwan, Italy, Great Britain, Denmark, Norway and Canada …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Timo
    Pint

Elsinore - Strange Brew

Elsinore Brewery is also the place where the movie "Strange Brew" is located:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086373/

2. Steve Knox
    Coat

"miles of footage"?

What's that in km of meterage?

1. ratfox
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: "miles of footage"?

You owe me…

3. pewpie
    Thumb Up

"The sample size and methodology of the survey make the results a little untrustworthy, but suggest that Apple might not have too much to worry about."

..they asked a bunch of 13 year old schoolgirls who rely on anyone but themselves to get around.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

<Insert Jimmy Savile joke here>

4. Esskay
    Holmes

Apple survey

Presumably if iOS Maps was better that Google's offering, it would become important to 9 out of 10 people...

5. Peter 39

dates on updates

Oh great. A big press release about a big update dump. Thanks are due from Macau, Singapore, Sweden, the US, Thailand, Taiwan, Italy, Great Britain, Denmark, Norway and Canada ... and maybe other places

Cluestick for Google - we know that some of your images are old. No problem - they're free. But it would be really REALLY helpful to know just how old. As in - if it's two months then it's close, but if it's five years then we have no idea. It would be nice to know which. And in the absence we have to assume five years which means that it's useless.

1. Peter Murphy
      Stop

Five year old images useless? Not quite.

I remember when Google Street View rolled out in Australia. What amazed me and my acquaintances was that the mappers didn't stick to the big cities (which is what the American Googlers were doing at the time [*]), but were taking long drives out into the Outback, cameras snapping away. So there are long, long shots of roads such as the Stuart Highway - 2834km from Adelaide to Darwin, with less than 100,000 people along the whole stretch of road. Since the land is millions of years old, I don't think five years have dated the flicks too much.

Now, you might find it useless to look at desert landscapes from the comfort of one's computer. But I find them beautiful - five years old or not - and it's nice that you can pan around as well. It's also educational. When you look at the photos, you start to understand why such as large country as Australia (area wise) has a third the population of the UK.

[* Things have changed now. You can now get Google Street View of the Dalton Highway, which goes through the virtually uninhabited tundra of northern Alaska. I also find those photos beautiful. But as I recall, Google Australia were the first to take the Street View camera and go for long drives in the Back o' Beyond.]

2. Martin 15

Re: dates on updates

When I just checked, yes it stall has my old car on the drive, but the bottom of the frame has a 2012 Google copyright notice along with "Image date: 2008"

3. JetSetJim

Re: dates on updates

"Cluestick for Google - we know that some of your images are old. No problem - they're free. But it would be really REALLY helpful to know just how old. As in - if it's two months then it's close, but if it's five years then we have no idea. It would be nice to know which. And in the absence we have to assume five years which means that it's useless."

Err - dunno about you but in StreetView on my road, in the bottom left corner is a little note saying "Image date: October 2011". Nip round to my in-law's old place and it says "October 2008".

6. Peter 39

Let's try again

"Presumably if iOS Maps was better that Google's offering"

Let's try again, shall we ...

Presumably, if iOS maps were better than Google's offering, ..."

1. Esskay
      Headmaster

Re: Let's try again

A correction without a downvote?! What is the world coming to?

Thanks for the heads up - Grammar Nazi is for me :)

2. frank ly

Re: Let's try again

Ah, the subjunctive; a rare and elusive tense. (Or is it a mood? I always get confused about that.)

3. yoinkster
      Pint

Re: Let's try again @Peter 39

I'm not sure I agree but then, I'm not sure I'd be right.

The application is called iOS Maps, so substituting that in we get

"Presumably if the application was better than Google's offering"

which sounds fine to me. Isn't it a bit like "a group of players was crying" because there's only one group of many players and here there's only one application of many maps? But then you've got "iOS maps" indicating you are referring to the maps on iOS so then yours could be argued as correct too...

Beer because who cares, it's Friday!

7. dssf

Still, no

http://busanhaps.com/article/national-maritime-museum-open-july-9th

http://www.nmm.go.kr/

http://www.nmm.go.kr/english/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Maritime_Museum,_South_Korea

In google maps, "busan maritime museum" brings up four flags for unrelated things, such as hotels....

I mentioned this about a month ago when the amaps issues was discussed here...

8. Confuciousmobil
    Unhappy

I am...

One of the one in the one in ten.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am...

A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care...........

9. Confuciousmobil

Just checked

Street view round here is quite up to date local Tesco's opened Jan 13th this year and was nearly open in the street view.

10. Infidellic_
    Trollface

Still you always wonder if it's just a tool for overt espionage:

http://twitter.com/opera/status/256319263944613888

(For those lacking humour note this is a joke)

11. Elmer Phud
    Coat

Maps

"according to a recent poll which found Maps was only important to less than one in ten Apple users. "

something about 'couldn't find their collective arses with both hands and a map' anyway.

12. Luc Le Blanc
    Devil

"the attachment of fanbois to Apple could be too strong to break"

It takes more than bad maps to bring down a cult.

13. JeffyPooh
    Pint

iOS 6 Apple Map

It's not that bad. The 3D effect is pretty good. Disclaimer - I don't use it for serious navigation.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like