back to article Steve Jobs resurfaces in Hong Kong

Days before the first anniversary of his death on October 5, 2011, Steve Jobs has reappeared – albeit in waxy tribute, not reincarnated self. Madame Tussauds Hong Kong has unveiled an uncannily accurate wax figure of the man they identify as a "legendary business man, inventor and technology pioneer." The UK gadget site …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't remember his tache being that prominent.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have always found life like wax models fairly creepy. Can't say that video helps matters much.

Glad to see Einstein not being completely ignored though.

1. Thomas 4
      Devil

Dr Who had it right.

It's going to be an Auton powered by iOS.

Also, bonus points to the first person to put an S3 in the model's hand and take a piccie.

3. Battsman
    WTF?

Yeah, Creepy and WTF?

Wax figures do = creepy.

AND - almost $200K???? You'd think Hong Kong would have heard of outsourcing. After all, artists are supposed to be hungry, tortured, social outcasts - not pampered, well-paid snoots.

4. Mike Moyle
    Devil

You think the wax statue is creepy...?

Just wait 'til the Disney Animatronics people finish THEIR model...

...Tim Cook comes in to work one morning and finds out that he no longer has the corner office, and every 'droid-oid's worst nightmare comes true as an undying Steve Jobs 2.0 shows them the REAL meaning of "Android"!

1. eurobloke

Re: You think the wax statue is creepy...?

You have just made my nightmare here.

Sent from my Droid.

5. Jack Project
    Joke

Not a fan.

It's such a good copy, did Samsung make it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

Re: Not a fan.

"It's such a good copy, did Samsung make it?"

Well, things are in the right place so I guess that means Apple didn't.

6. WatAWorld
    Joke

Could we build a mausoleum to house him?

Could we build a mausoleum to house him?

Or maybe the folks in Moscow to eject Stalin or Lenin, whichever discredited communist they've currently got on show, and house Jobs instead?

Or maybe just rename Mount Everest or the moon in his honour?

Let us face it, in 100 years nobody is going to remember the real people who contributed to technology.

All they're going to remember are smart businessmen who stole or bought ideas, were masters of hype, and turned profits. (It is pathetic.)

So we let Jobs be the stand-in for Babbage, Turing, Berners-Lee, von Neumann, Amdahl, etc.

1. Belardi

Re: Could we build a mausoleum to house him?

How about Jay Miner? He was important in the age of computers in the early 80s... Commodore ruined it with stupidity.

1986: Amiga 1000 - 4/16/4096 color Computer with *Multi-tasking*, video and stereo sound. $1200 got you the 256k version. Much cheaper than a Mac+.

1. aMIGA_dUDE

Jay Miner, You get my vote!

2. Mark .

Indeed. Fair enough that Apple lovers want to remember their idol, but I got a bit sick of them saying that everyone else should care about it too - when I knew damn well that they didn't care about any CEOs or inventors of the companies and products that I like, or that millions of people use and love every day. I doubt they could even name the CEOs of companies like Samsung, let alone know if they died. (Plus it also annoyed me that people turned it into an excuse to slag off other company's products - "Jobs made things much better than everyone else did" - ready to play the "disrespectful" card if you disagreed. There are people behind those other companies too, though.)

Earlier this year also saw the sad death of Jack Tramiel, who founded Commodore which gave us the C64, and manufactured and sold the Amiga (well, of course we might blame the bad handling - but the flipside is that with no Commodore, the Amiga might now have been picked up by anyone). These products did far more imo to popularise and bring computing to the masses, than some expensive business computers owned by a privileged few.

This got some coverage in the media, but not one of the people telling me I should care about Jobs mentioned the death of Tramiel - I doubt they were even aware of it.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Ted Treen
      Holmes

Yup.

No-one today has heard of Sir Frank Whittle, but the names of Rolls Royce's MDs and Pratt & Whitney's CEOs trip readily of everyone's tongue. No-one recalls Igor Sikorsky, but we all recall Bell's CEO, Westland's MD, don't we?

"All they're going to remember are smart businessmen who stole or bought ideas, were masters of hype, and turned profits. (It is pathetic.)"

Do I detect just a smidgeon of intellectual snobbery and soi-disant superiority there?

Perhaps we also need to stop and reflect on the wider situation here, too. After all, who did more to introduce mobility to the masses?

Benz for his invention of the ICE-powered automobile?

Ford for his invention of mass-production of (comparatively) inexpensive cars? - thus making car ownership no longer the exclusive privilege of a wealthy few?

4. Mark .

I will be remembering October 5, the 51 week anniversary of the tragic death of a great computer pioneer.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not that big of a deal.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is for iMagpies everywhere

I have been told that whilsed as walk up, a load of people are claping at you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is for iMagpies everywhere

I really have no idea what you're trying to say, and am forced to conclude that you're drunk or have recently sustained a head injury.

9. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
    Coat

Hmm...

It looks good, is very expensive but doesn't actually do anything the other waxworks don't. I think they've nailed it...

1. Arctic fox
      Thumb Up

Re: "Hmm..." Excellent - the only problem is that some people are satire-blind. :)

See title.

2. Mark .

Re: Hmm...

and gets lots of free publicity from the media.

10. Arctic fox

"Steve Jobs resurfaces in Hong Kong"

Where is the expected Elvis-sighting joke then?

11. jon 72
    Devil

Behold the miracle!

Fanbois are urged to purchase new trinkets of worship and remain calm, resisting calls for the jihad to exterminate all the disciples of Micro$oft in preparation of his third coming.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like