back to article Wikimedia UK trustee quits amid conflict-of-interest row

The IT consultant at the centre of the latest UK Wikipedia scandal has resigned his position as a trustee of the £1m charity Wikimedia UK. The UK chapter's board issued a statement confirming the resignation of Roger Bamkin on Thursday evening. Bamkin is a director of the charity and was, until April, its chairman. Bamkin had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome
    Joke

In the pretty picture accompanying this,why did they change journalist to halfwit?

2. Dr Trevor Marshall
    Happy

Halfwit? That's mild

Halfwit is mild ... My own bio page was defaced continuously for three years before Jimbo Wales made the decision that I "wasn't notable." All sorts of stuff got edited in. That I had young male Thai sex slaves -- you wouldn't believe what I would wake up to reading some mornings.

Wikipedia really needs more discipline when handling the troublesome editors - those that hack away at "improving" the bios of living people...

1. Notas Badoff
      Megaphone

Re: Halfwit? That's mild

So... you have enemies. Persistent enemies. (Found a couple in histories fairly quickly) That would be a problem, having j.RanDom hater defacing the article about you.

You also had fans. Except I think they called them 'meatpuppets'. (Found those in the deletion discussions) That could be a problem, having people mysteriously show up as 'supports'.

You also had an article, two actually. Here are the two discussions (across 4 years time) regarding whether or not to delete the article about you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Trevor_Marshall

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Trevor_Marshall_%282nd_nomination%29

The subject always was whether or note you were notable. You weren't. Now less of a problem for you.

"Wikipedia is an important "go to" source for information about notable individuals." A quote from you. I see your problem now, and whence the frustration you vent everytime Wikipedia is mentioned.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Halfwit? That's mild

You see, Dr Marshall? It's your fault that people were able to write things about you that weren't true! And Wikipedia has solved that problem for you! you should be grateful.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wikipedia's credibility and reputation?

According to Wikipedia, 'Rolling Stone' mag is not representitive of mainstream media and links to such articles violate (WP:RS) ..

4. streaky
    Facepalm

"against copyright enforcement legislation"

The media always do this, but I'd think El Reg would know better.

Stuff like SOPA isn't copyright enforcement legislation, it's legislation that is intended to remove judicial oversight from copyright enforcement and introduce a wide range of punishments that won't normally fit the crime - and incidentally make it impossible for anybody who doesn't have (see: can't afford) a large legal team in the continental USA from operating a web site - which accounts for, y'know, 98% of the internet.

Nobody is saying there shouldn't be copyright enforcement, but unless it's 'commercial scale' redistribution the status quo alone is probably overkill as it is.

Wish you guys would stop doing this, it makes you look a bit dumb.

5. jambamkin
    WTF?

the picture edit is not an article about the journalist it's Steve Virgin's user page.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The 50 year Old Virgin

I'd like to know more about this Virgin fellow. What's his bag?

This topic is closed for new posts.