back to article Apple begs ex-Google bods to fix crap maps app

As reported on Friday, Apple is hastily hiring software engineers to fix its disastrous new Maps App. Not surprisingly, it appears the iPhone maker hopes to lure them from Google. Bosses are, we're told, sweet-talking engineers with experience in the sprawling Google maps team to woo them to Team Apple. The new Maps App - …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Real Ale is Best
    Pirate

Open Street Map

"but it has baked that data with information from Open Street Map, Waze, and several other sources to identify places."

Open Street Map? Really? They are not credited in the provided link, and their CC-by-SA licence is incompatible with mixing the information with propriatry mapping data from Tom Tom.

Is Apple stealing again?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Open Street Map

It's not stealing unless a physical item is involved - isn't that what the "free" guys say.

Plagiarism of the first order is what it sounds like.

And worse, badly done.

1. g e
        Facepalm

It's not stealing unless a physical item is involved

Tell it to the MAFIAA and chums, then.

2. RICHTO
        Mushroom

They should license from Nokia - they have by miles the best Maps and navigation on a mobile...

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge
          Devil

Not really.

Other people have managed to achieve high quality navigation on mobile using Tom Tom licensed maps.

Sygic - it is the best cross platform Sat Nav and probably best offline sat nav for Adroid. I have not tried the iOS version, but I would expect it to be as good.

Apple should have bought it instead of this farce.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Go Richto! The sat nav on my Nokia has never let me down, but it is a bit hilarious driving around the Gravelly Hill Interchange :)

'At the next junction take the first exit. Route recalculation. In 100 yards bear right and then bear right. Route recalculation. At the next junction turn right. Route recalculation. In 200 yards stay right and then take the first exit. Route recalculation. etc. etc'

3. Chris 171

Nah, let apple think its only Google they have to worry about...

2. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

"They are not credited in the provided link"

They are, but possibly not visible in your browser unless you resize the page - or look at the source. There's an attribution to OSM.

C.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Open Street Map, diodesign

wow, they actually disabled scrolling on that page, you either use a touch screen or your keyboard to scroll and see the full list!

3. Shagbag
      WTF?

£52kpa?

"One guy looked around for other GIS work and ended up at Apple when a recruiter contacted him...Still, despite the insider's account of lukewarm salary offers of $85,000 (£52k) plus moving expenses"

Fuck me. At those rates hee must've been an intern.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: £52kpa?

All of those companies Apple bought for their engineers, not their products. It's called acquicruiting.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Open Street Map? Really?"

Yes. http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/1556334

"They are not credited in the provided link"

They (we, since I also contribute) are now. http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/03/08/welcome-apple/

"their CC-by-SA licence is incompatible with mixing the information with propriatry mapping data from Tom Tom."

Not from the CC-by-SA side, as far as I am aware. You, Apple, and anyone else are perfectly welcome to use OSM data in any way you see fit, by itself or along with other providers, as long as credit is given.

(Not an OSM Foundation member or spokesman, just another one of the many contributors of OSM data, but it still "my" data and yes, go ahead and use it, that's the whole point.)

1. Mephistro

Re: Open Street Map (@AC 20:04 GMT)

The link you provided (http://blog.osmfoundation.org/2012/03/08/welcome-apple/) refers to iPhoto, not to Apple Maps.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Open Street Map (@AC 20:04 GMT)

Good catch!

However, as diodesign mentions elsewhere, I understand that Apple Maps also carries an attribution notice.

2. Mike_JC

Apple to fix new maps app

Why don't Apple just buy back into Google Maps, after all that works very well, I know as I use an Android phone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple to fix new maps app

Because this way they can retro-actively sue Google for copying Saint Job's invention of the map as evidenced to a retarded patent-officer wannabe jury foreman by showing him that the iPhone has maps and so does Google, therefore Google stole them.

1. Miek
        Coat

And Lo, on the eight day, after his day of rest, lord Jobs invents cartography.

1. Frumious Bandersnatch

And Lo, on the eight day, after his day of rest, lord Jobs invents cartography.

Ah, but did he invent the Dymaxion projection?

2. Scott Pedigo
        Joke

That's only if the jury foreman can find the courthouse, which might be a problem if he is using crApple Maps.

2. DrXym

"Why don't Apple just buy back into Google Maps, after all that works very well, I know as I use an Android phone."

I can imagine the meeting

Google: Hahahahahahahahah, let me just add another zero to the end of that contract, hahahahahahahahahahahahahah, and a few more, oh man, hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!

1. rvt
        Stop

You can laugh all you want,

But you should be glad that there is at least one company fighting against the Google monopoly and has a serious change to make the world of online/mobile maps competitive. Personally i always found the maps of google rather slow, and there satellite are very very old, mind you i life in a country where was internet is considered 3mbit.

I hope that Apple will do well soon and that they become a true competitive rather sooner then later.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: [rvt] Apple to fix new maps app

Google has no monopoly on maps. See Nokia, OSM, Bing, any of the car SatNav providers...

Trying to justify hobbling Apple users with their poor excuse for a mapping app by pretending Apple are producing the only alternative to Google Maps is disingenuous.

3. John H Woods Silver badge

The problem is ALWAYS the PEOPLE.

If $85k is what they are offering as 'aggressive recruitment' it's surprising the people they had before were capable of creating any good software ... oh, wait ...

1. Francis Vaughan

Re: The problem is ALWAYS the PEOPLE.

I have the feeling that Apple's map problems have nothing to do with software, and everything to do with data curation. If Google have 7000 people working on maps, you can bet that 95% of them are doing nothing but staring at GIS data applications and hand tweaking the map data. Sadly this isn't work fit for human beings, and will also pay about as well. Th best quality software on the planet won't replace low resolution satellite images with high resolution photographs taken from airplanes, or magically fix out of date business information. The only way to sort this out takes lots of effort, money, and time.

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Stop

Sadly this isn't work fit for human beings

Can't crApple get it done in China, the same as their manufacturing?

2. Si 1

Indeed. While it's currently cool to bash Apple's maps, I think the underlying system is fairly competent, it's the data that's crap. Throwing more programmers at it isn't going to help, like you say it requires lots of cheap eyeballs to sort out the flaws in the data.

1. Jon B

Sort out the flaws in the apple mapping data by opening google maps on your second monitor, and then copy and paste the coordinates?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

'aggressive recruitment'

Sounds like the Navy of old. Apple have roving press gangs hanging around Coffee bars and gaming shows?

1. Mephistro
        Happy

Re: The problem is ALWAYS the PEOPLE. (@ m0rt )

"Sounds like the Navy of old. Apple have roving press gangs hanging around Coffee bars and gaming shows?"

"The engineer was overpowered,

Though he fought most manfully,

They dragged him through the dark, wet streets,

Towards the Cupertino slave pits" *

Meter? WTF is that? :-)

*: Apologies to Steeleye Span

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GIS

isn't much fun

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yosser Hughes around?

GIS a job

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ah! But...

it has the head phone jack on the Bottom! Poof! And the connector's completely digital.

What does that even mean?

1. VinceH
      Trollface

Re: Ah! But...

And the internet on the iPhone 5 won't scam you.

1. HMB

@VinceH

This link requires me to up-vote your post. Amusing, thank you :)

1. VinceH

" This link requires me to up-vote your post. Amusing, thank you :)"

You're welcome.

And Apple fandom is very welcome to her. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The description said she wasn't a plant, didn't say anything about her not being a vegetable though.

3. Mystic Megabyte
        FAIL

If she's got one I definitely don't want one!

Thanks for the great link.

4. Mark 65

After seeing that video I am now looking for a 24 month contract on two plastic cups and a piece of string.

6. Big_Ted
    Devil

Its an easy fix.......

Apple just need to use their gazillions in cash, buy Google, spin off the maps division into their own business, shut down the Android part and sale the search and ads parts to Facebook.

Anything left over could be sold on the open market less the motorola patents which they can take for themselves so that they have some real ones at last.

There fixed it for them.......

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can anyone explain how the data bought from TOMTOM is so bad. TOMTOM sat nav data has never been this bad. Was Apple shafted?

1. CaptainHook

Software Only?

Can anyone explain how the data bought from TOMTOM is so bad

Maybe they only brought the software rather than the content? i.e. the server code that sews tiles together to form the scrollable map from GIS db queries.

1. rvt

Re: Software Only?

Mapserver can do that already for free. But really, making tiles is the easy part of mapping. Getting accurate maps is a different story.

Quality control was a issue here, and properly some import errors somewhere down the line.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Stop

Apple shafted itself

The POIs didn't come from Tom Tom, a Routers report says it combines POI data from 20 different providers. There is also the 3D view which magics up contour data from out of nowhere (looks at the surface texture and altitude data and guesses).

Apple shafted itself, by trying to do a GPS program in record time.

Icon is what you'll be doing when following the turn-by-turn data.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple shafted itself

The POIs didn't come from Tom Tom, a Routers report says it combines POI data from 20 different providers

They would've been better off using the Royal National Institute for the Blind as one of their 'providers'

The whole mapping app is riddled with the most basic simple mistakes. For example Consett in County Durham is randomly renamed Gonsett. Got all the hallmarks of a cheap offshore rush job this I'm surprised Accenture haven't been named as the brains behind it

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Consett in County Durham is randomly renamed Gonsett - not necessarily a bad thing eh ;-)

As anyone one who has had to visit Consett will tell you.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple shafted itself

I've an OSM-based app on my iphone - it knows where Consett is.

So PICNIC - problem in Cupertino, not in computer

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple users still win...

Google will release a Google Map app for iOS 6, just like they have done for Youtube, and then Apple users will have the best of both worlds :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple users still win...

Best of both worlds? That would be the world where your maps work and are accurate and the world where they are iOS6 maps (is iOS6 Maps an oxymoron?). I think I will stick to my single world where my maps just work and are accurate - don't see a lot of use for inaccurate maps.

1. Xee

You obviously have not experienced Apple maps flyover yet... Its pretty amazing! Not experienced any inaccuracies myself yet.

1. Radelix

I gave it a shot with my brothers iphone trying to direct us to a cigar shop in downtown Los Angeles. We were a mile and a half away as the crow flies.

Attempt 1: put it in an alleyway 2 blocks away

Attempt 2: using the turn by turn nav attempted to send us the wrong way on a one way....twice

Attempt 3: (using a co-workers 4s) flyover locked up maps, then he tried to impress me with the siri tricks of "open the pod bays doors", etc, etc)

In short I'm quite happy with my Nexus phone and its choco factory maps.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like