back to article Want a Leica camera from Jony Ive? There CAN BE ONLY ONE

Apple design saint Jonathan Ive will design a single special edition Leica M camera, in what must surely be the world's most hipster industrial design collaboration to date. The iPhone man will rework the latest model in the classic German camera-maker's M range, Leica owner Andreas Kaufmann said on Monday. Only one, lonely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Amorous Cowherder
    Facepalm

"The Dalai Lama of Design meets the Pope of products!", to paraphrase that bollocks that Bono once came out with about when Jobs and Gates met!

1. Shagbag

Sycophants

I must be part of those who think his designs aren't that great. Sure, he's a better designer than me but the camera looks shyte... which suggests he's more of a show pony and can't really do much outside of brushed aluminium.

It kinda reminds me of that twat who keeps cutting things in half and dropping them in formaldehyde. Another one who's more 'PR' than substance.

If I had their PR people on my case, I could dump in a Tesco bag, call it 'art' and sell it as a 'one off' for £££s. I just need the PR people. 'Jony' and whats-his-name have them. I don't. That's what separates them from us.

1. jai
        Facepalm

Re: Sycophants

kinda helps if you read the article before you comment on it, makes you look less daft.

the images in the article are of a Leica camera, but Ive hasn't even started on his design of the camera yet, so those images aren't of his one.

2. Purlieu

And the point is ?

How does this advance human experience ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And the point is ?

"How does this advance human experience ?"

Instead of thinking about the rich muppet who will buy this, think about the charity that'll be receiving the money. I just hope it's a good one.

3. Frederic Bloggs
    Unhappy

So copying^Hbeing inspired by something is OK then?

Thus Steve Jobs is allowed to copy design ideas by someone else, but no-one is allowed to do the same for his stuff?

Which one of these icons is the one for rank hypocrisy?

1. Steve I
      Facepalm

Re: So copying^Hbeing inspired by something is OK then?

Yes, because 'copying' and 'inspired by' mean the same, and you'd struggle to tell an iPhone from a Leica rangefinder...

1. Frederic Bloggs

Note the extra words after "copying" viz: "design ideas".

Clearly Mr Job's iXXXX is not yet a Leica Rangefinder Camera. Although that may change. I suspect Leica would ignore any Applely Flavoured Products unless and until any iLeica starts to command the same price premium.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Spot the difference:

Steve Jobs looked at a *camera* and used some thoughts about the *camera* to style a *phone*.

Samsung looked at a *phone* and produced a similar looking *phone*.

Last time I looked Leica and Apple weren't competitors in any market.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh dear

The Leica M series was an example of trying to keep a design going way beyond its time, with pop-up viewfinder frames trying to compensate for the fact that interchangeable lenses really don't work very well with rangefinder cameras that have more than quite a small range of focal lengths. If there is one phone product the Leicas really resemble, it is surely BlackBerry. Good at the core function (taking pictures/making phone calls/sending messages), quirky design, but boatloads of compromises that make them less than pleasant to use.

This new one is exactly like a BB 9900, with a modern feature (Leica rear screen/BB touch screen) grafted onto a design which, it it really worked properly, wouldn't need it. And $7000 for something whose sensor and electronics will be outdated in 2 years time?

The great thing about film cameras was that you could upgrade the sensor (film) as improved versions came out, and you could upgrade the lenses as they improved. A 1930s Leica could take better pictures in the 1990s than when it was new because film had improved so much and you could fit a better lens. But digital camera bodies are essentially disposable once the sensor is no longer state of the art.

1. Dave Bell
      Pint

Re: Oh dear

I have taken good photographs on a Leica camera which is older than I am and I miss film photography. They have always been expensive. They have always had good optics. 24 MP behind a piece of Leica-made optical glass, any era, is something I envy.

2. keithpeter Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Oh dear

I shall continue to use my M4-2 with an older 50mm collapseable summicron until they, or I, stop working, or until film is unobtainable or unprocessable. Tri-x rated at 160 iso and developed in 1:50 rodinol for 9 minutes. Good shadow detail, tight grain and a good long curve. I can still do a film change while walking just about, but a little out of practice now I have to admit.

Leica have always done one-offs. They sell them to the rich people.

Now: the M4-2 was made in Canada, and I have a blackberry phone.... must be a connection.

5. Alastair Dodd 1
    Mushroom

So it'll be a German camera

designed by a Brit inspired by (ripping off) a German designers work?

Who thinks Jonny Ive should give 60% of his apple shares to Dieter Ram's family and another 30% to Braun?

1. Ivan Headache

Re: So it'll be a German camera

Not me.

Look at Braun design history and you will find only 2 items that look ever-so-slightly Apple; A desk-top cigarette lighter from 1970 and a loudspeaker from 1975 (both designed by Dieter Rams).

Inspired by and ripping-off are not the same.

Ive is inspired by Dieter Rams's design philosophy. In my world that is no bad thing.

2. Dave 126

Re: So it'll be a German camera

John Ive has always given credit to Dieter Rams, and Dieter is fine with that. So whats the issue?

"I have always regarded Apple products – and the kind words Jony Ive has said about me and my work – as a compliment. Without doubt there are few companies in the world that genuinely understand and practise the power of good design in their products and their businesses. - Dieter Rams

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8555503/Dieter-Rams-Apple-has-achieved-something-I-never-did.html

6. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

Easy peasy

Make it out of white plastic and remove the awkward sticky out bits like the lens and the controls. Job done.

1. Dave 126

Re: Easy peasy

http://www.luxury-insider.com/luxury-news/2012/05/object-of-lust-hermes-leica-m9-p-edition

Paul Smith is known for his textile designs, and his contribution was, as noted, cosmetic. This is a Hermes edition M9, with styling by Walter de Silva, the man responsible for the new-look Audis and VWs. Curiously, he has chosen to remove the hot-shoe.

I link to this because it suggest Jony Ive might have more input than simply choosing the colour of the camera. Ultimately, I don't see him changing the function in drastic way. Bear in the mind the object is not to produce a photographic device; the object is to part a rich person from their money in the name of charity, mutual back-slapping and brand advancement.

I look on with amusement. My toys are all black ABS, powder-coated steel and anodised aluminium.

7. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Leica "glass on the back"?

News to me.

Still, Steve Jobs said it, so it must be true.

In any case Leicas were made like that for functional reasons. Even the crazy film-loading was in order to prevent light leaking in through a rear door (which, with 1930s materials, could not be made both sturdy and lightfast). These days, it's just a fetish, though.. (seriously, unscewing a base-plate to change an SD card?)

Anyway, I can imagine Ive is happy to take on the challenge - if only to step outside the narrow confines of Apple's design language for a bit. Ive did some really clever designs before the current "thin aluminium rectangle with radiused corners" regime...

8. Wang N Staines
    Happy

There should be a photo-timeline of cameras before this design & after this design to how innovative Mr Ive is.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Facepalm

Leica digicams.

Trouble is, if you really want a Leica you're far better off getting a Panasonic. That way you get the Leica lenses (the really good bit) and the same Panasonic internals that Leica use, only without the antique design, the bulkiness and the ludicrous price.

1. Steve I
      FAIL

Re: Leica digicams.

"...if you really want a Leica you're far better off getting a Panasonic. That way you get the Leica lenses (the really good bit) and the same Panasonic internals that Leica use, only without the antique design, the bulkiness and the ludicrous price.2

No - if you want a Leica rangefinder, you have to buy a Leica rangefinder. There is no Panasonic version.

Thumbs down only if you don't understand.

1. Dave 126

Panasonic don't make equivalents to these Leicas... however, Sony are seeking to rival the Leica 'Rangefinders' with their RX1 - a big, full frame image sensor in a compact body and fixed 35mm f/2 Zeiss lens for $2800. I don't know how it compares, but maybe one to look into if you'e in the market for such things.

2. BioPeek
      FAIL

> Leica lenses (the really good bit)

ROFLMA

Obviously Carl Ziess, Nikon, Canon, Sigma, Tokina, Tamron et al should all shut up shop immediately.

What's hard about maing a good prme lens...?

10. Fihart

Leica, Schmeica

I love real Leicas (the original shaped ones that Oskar Barnack designed for 35mm film). Even Russian copies are cool.

I'm left cold by more recent Leicas. The last 35mm (M series rangefinders and the ugly SLRs) were over-engineered and became so expensive that you could get a functionally identical and equally durable Canon or Nikon for 25% of the price.

As for Leica digitals, some appear to be restyled Panasonics. At prices that clearly make no sense, given the very short shelf-life of all digital cameras

The brand has become a victim of collectors (or investors) -- I trust that those who bid for this latest trinket get their fingers burnt . Cameras are for photography. For that, a Samsung will do just fine.

1. Ru
      Holmes

Re: Leica, Schmeica

The "Leica" compacts are indeed rebadged panasonics. I have a sneaking suspicion that a fair number of the Leica-marked lenses on other compacts are merely licensed... the design may or may not actually be by Leica, the branding certainly is, but the manufacture is not. Zeiss do the same. Leica's M and S are the "real thing" and do indeed have world-class optics; shame about the price, etc.

Anyhoo, if you're bored, have a quick read of this.

1. Fihart

@Ru

My understanding is that the "Leica" lenses on Panasonic Lumix cameras are manufactured using Leica equipment -- which sort of doesn't make them Leica lenses, really.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not true Fihart, the D-LUX4 and the LX3 have identical lenses and electronics. Panasonic make the electronic components for both, Leica make the lenses for both. The real differences are in body design, and firmware... for the price the LX5 is a great camera, and a baby Leica.

11. Huw D
    Devil

Bono Related Charity?

Don't they raise a lot of money and then give next to sod all to the people that need it?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Frederic Bloggs

Re: Bono Related Charity?

I wonder who that reminds me of...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

If it's Product RED then there are always better ways of giving money to charity. In RED a product is authorised to carry the logo and a percentage (not specified) of the profits go to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria. Whereas you could just donate money to a charity directly and not have to pay the overheads of RED.

RED has in the past even gone so far to say that it exists to 'raise awareness' of issues. Which is largely done by giving slebs stupidly expensive goodie bags to attend an exclusive party somewhere.

1. E 2

WTF is RED?

12. John King 1
    Facepalm

Way too expensive

Me no Leica.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So

It'll be clad in Aluminium or glass or a combination of the two then as Ive doesn't seem to design stuff that isn't.

Will he call it the iCam I wonder.

AC because I can't afford a lawyer

1. Dave 126

Re: So

G4 Cube - Polycarbonite and stainless steel

Titanium G4 Powerbook - Titanium, d'uh

iPod - Polycarbonite and stainless steel

iMac G3 - Polycarbonite

I do get the impression Sir Jony is getting bored, though. See the new Apple earphones.

14. Purlieu

groan

no he'll call it .... Le iCam

Leica M ... doh

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rumour

Rumour says it's going to be shaped as a circle with squared off corners.

16. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

Design Classic Before Apple was Born

Leica has always been a design classic. Nothing from Apple can improve on that.

17. Craigness

Spoiler alert!

It will be rectangular with a minimal amount of decoration. That's all he can do.

18. E 2

Apple will sue.

19. toadwarrior

The register: all of yesterday's news today!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uhuh...

....very exciting.... is it?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like