back to article Microsoft promises two-step IE fix

Microsoft has promised it will release a fix “in the next few days” to address the recently-identified flaw in Internet Explorer. At the time of writing, it is only possible to work around the bug, or stop using Internet Explorer, if one wishes to avoid the potential effects of attacks exploiting the vulnerability. In a new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. n4blue
    Unhappy

Just fix it quick please

So here's my (entirely subjective) summary of the options:

Chrome - by far the best but you give all your data to Google

IE9 - perfectly usable but you give all your data to a hacker

Firefox - ugly and cumbersome

Opera - just tried this for the first time and now I understand why no-one else does.

In summary, 'free' software sucks.

1. Chris_Maresca

Re: Just fix it quick please

Er, Chromium?

http://www.chromium.org/Home - Fully open source Google Chrome

http://www.apple.com/safari/ - If you'd like to give your data to Apple...

1. Wild Bill
        Thumb Down

RE: Chromium.

Goes to Chromium page -> Clicks link to Windows build -> http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/build-instructions-windows

No thanks. Yes, I could spend the time going through the instructions and feel very satisfied with my new found knowledge and achievements two hours later. Or I could just download another browser, right now.

Is it seriously too much effort for them to put an actual compiled version on their site? Do they want people to use the software? Crazy.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Thanks for your totally list unqualified list: "best", "ugly"...

For the sake of completeness you left out Safari.

1. Fuzz

"For the sake of completeness you left out Safari."

So did Apple on windows machines, they gave up on it a few months ago. The windows 8 browser choice screen doesn't include it.

3. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Mushroom

Opera Fanboy

I can understand why you don't like any other browser, you obviously work for MS.

P.S As Internet Explorer is free with Windows it must suck!

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@n4blue

What needs to be fixed is your irrational addiction to the turd called Internet Explorer. Doesn't matter what version it is.

This is no longer the late 1990s/early 2000s. You have choice. Time to upgrade your choice of a browser.

2. 142
    Stop

re: chrome

You don't send any data to Google if you don't want to!

3. Grikath

nor is IE a sieve if you kno w what you're doing. It simply is a matter of perspective.

Grikkies' Law: no matter what you do, 1^6 lines of code can never be secure. Best you can do is mitigate the holes that will be there, and get a system in place that plugs them when they're found ASAP in a way that doesn't bollock up the rest of the code.

(people working on [flavour of browser] * [popularity])³ <<<< people trying to find holes in security of code.

Whatever you do, you always lose, and people will be ready with the pitchforks.

4. Ole Juul

Keep dancing

Two step fix? I prefer a foxtrot, but either way, my dance card is already full.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Serious consequences for Microsoft

Corporate customer here has adjusted the policy to nobble and IE actively recommends people use Firefox. They will be advised at some point in the future when "normal browsing" can resume. Wonder if there are a few red faces amongst those who boxed a "Microsoft only" strategy through.

6. Mike Manship
    Facepalm

Intranet Explorer

There MS fixed it for you..

Let's face facts, it's only reasonably safe to use behind a corporate firewall and you only really have to use it at work anyway.

7. crayon
    FAIL

Grikkies' Law ...

"1^6 lines of code can never be secure"

If they can't even secure 1 line of code then they shouldn't be in the software business.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like