back to article Post-pub nosh deathmatch prompts paprika potato pierogi

El Reg's first foray into the wonderful world of Polish cuisine, in the form of the cheesy mash-packed pieróg, prompted post-pub nosh deathmatch fans to suggest we might have missed a trick as the eastern European delicacy went head-to-head with Spanish patatas revolconas. Here are said dishes, served up by guest waitresses …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. FartingHippo
    Thumb Up

Not quite the same, but...

There's a Restaurant in Central London which calls itself a "Polish-Mexican Bistro". It's ideal if you've had a few drinks, but not quite enough to find a kebab an attractive option.

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/74286-Lautre-London

2. JetSetJim
    Mushroom

Suggestions for a 3-way...

Lutefisk vs Surströmming vs Kiviak

1. Thomas 4

Re: Suggestions for a 3-way...

Another Swedish dish suggestion could be the Flying Jacob. I just like it because it has a cool name. =P

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Suggestions for a 3-way...

Svið versus súrsaðir hrútspungar versus selshreifar

If your Icelandic is less than fluent that is:

Singed and boiled sheep's head* versus whey preserved pressed ram's testicles** versus seal flippers cured in lactic acid

* or the child-size portion of half a sheep's head

** no longer attached to the ram

If anyone is really feeling manly there is a whole menu of similar horrors served in Iceland during Þorri (late January to February) called Þorramatur. The full list is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%9Eorramatur

The mystery of why Icelandic cooking hasn't taken the world by storm only deepens. Although I could murder some harðfiskur right now.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roll out the JavaScript

A random "POST-PUB NOSH DEATHMATCH" combination generator could come up with some interesting hybrids.

1. JimC

Re: Roll out the JavaScript

or an opportunity for "researchers" at some former polytechnic to get their faces in the paper by developing the "ultimate" post pub nosh by looking for common fearures...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Roll out the JavaScript

Good idea - a genetic algorithm for survival of the fattest

4. Andrew Moore

To paraphrase Harry Hill...

Well, I like perogis; But I also like patatas revolconas. But which one is better? There's only one way to find out...

MATE!

5. Robin 3
    Pint

Friet/Patat Oorlog

or Chips war to translate.

Chips with Mayo, Satay Sauce, Curry Sauce, chopped onions and possibly ketchup depending on where in Holland you are.

http://www.frietopia.nl/index.php?page=47&wkey=friet%20oorlog

6. Lord Voldemortgage

How about champ versus damper with lard & onions?

7. Peladon

Anything involving...

... pickled eggs :-). Like, maybe, pickled scotch eggs. Which are scotch eggs made with pickled eggs, not ordinary ones left to soak in vinegar for a month or ten. And maybe make the sausage meat with scotch bonnet chillies, to maintain the whole Hibernian thing.

OK. I'll shut up now :-P.

8. stragen001

Jumped the Shark

OK, This whole food deathmatch thing has now officially jumped the shark. Sausage Sarnie and Bacon Sarnie showdown were mildly amusing, but this is just becoming sad now...

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Jumped the Shark

Sausage sarnie? What effing sausage sarnie?

1. Trygve

Re: Jumped the Shark

The one you need to incorporate in your studies, obviously.

Although personally I think it belongs not in the 'Post-Pub nosh deathmatch' but rather in your upcoming series of 'Morning-After nosh' and 'Bloke food' deathmatches.

For inclusion in the latter, may I propose http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyttipanna ? The frozen version is an absolutely essential stand-by in the freezer for those many occasions when you Just Can't Be Arsed To Cook(TM)(R)

This topic is closed for new posts.