back to article LinkedIn shuts down online tricks

The long arm of the LinkedIn law has shut down and indefinitely banned a Singaporean anti-sex trafficking profile, claiming it violated user agreement terms. The offending profile was part of a campaign branded ‘TrickedIn.’Created by interns at advertising company BBH Asia Pacific, the profile's aim twas to help the not-for- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em

Perfectly reasonable

Last I checked, LinkedIn neither is required, nor has agreed, to serve as a platform for social justice activism. There are plenty of places on the Internet where you can do that sort of thing, most if not all of which are better suited to it than LinkedIn; say what you like about that company, but they have both a declared purpose for the service they provide, and every right to set and enforce policies for the use of that service.

No doubt this will be an extremely unpopular statement with plenty of crypto-Quakers, who consider (if they have considered it, rather than simply being raised in the faith) that there is no higher purpose than to bring about the earthly kingdom of God, and that any other purpose for anything is at best frivolous and at worst sinful -- the accumulation of profit, naturally, falling into the latter category. Unfortunately for them, not liking it doesn't make it any less true, at least unless progressive hegemony succeeds in extending itself sufficiently far to legislate otherwise.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Perfectly reasonable

Your first para seems sensible enough, but should I assume that the drugs had kicked in by the time you came to write the second? :-)

1. Aaron Em

Re: Perfectly reasonable

No, just that I've learned to recognize the difference between Whig historiography (look it up) and the study of history, and in light of the latter I take severe exception to the hegemony of the former.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like