back to article PlayStation burnout probe: It's not the Vita, it's YOU, says Sony

A Japanese safety firm is investigating various complaints of overheating in Sony's PlayStation Vita console, a known issue that Sony maintains stems from user error. Independent Japanese body - the National Institute of Technology and Evaluation - has launched an investigation into the Vita's safety after dozens of gamers …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 18
    Thumb Down

"Sony will replace the system for a fee"

Ha ha is the fee the RRP of a PS vita?

1. Miek
      Linux

Re: "Sony will replace the system for a fee"

Divide it by two, much like the PS3 replacement scheme. You get a minimum spec replacement for £130 when yours is out of warranty.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of teh 360 RROD issue.

Entirely user error nothing to do with shoddy manufacturing.

*one year and a class action lawsuit later*

Oh uhm, looks like it was manufacturing error, but not us no it was them chinese fellers. Totally not our fault but I guess we'll be nice and replace it anyway.

1. Andy Fletcher

"it was them chinese fellers" - I think you can probably push that a bit further:

"it was them chinese fellers who told us they could make decent quality units for $90, who we then told we'd pay no more than $60"

2. icedfusion

and sony wonder why...

nobody buys their products anymore.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Watch out, Sony!

Sony: "It's not our fault, uhhhhh, you're holding it wrong!"

<knock/><knock/>

Sony: "Hello?"

Process server: "You're served. Apple is suing you for IPR infringement."

(seriously: If getting gunk on the contacts can burn it up, somebody needs to lose their EE degree.)

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Watch out, Sony!

The difference is Apple can get away with said douche baggery due to their bling cult status. Demand for Sony products on the other hand is about on par with Sharp. Even Samsung is cooler than Sony now.

4. Joerg
    Thumb Down

Sony managers are on crack. Too much drugs

At Sony managers are on crack.

They have no clue what they are doing anymore.

Too much drugs burnt their brains. It's so clear.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Re: Sony managers are on crack. Too much drugs

I'm sorry dude but comments like that are totally stupid and offensive!!!

Everyone knows its crystal meth they're on!

5. Miek
    Linux

"when the PS Vita or multi-use terminal on its USB cable have foreign matter or liquids on them and are connected for charging, etc, a partial short that leads to the terminal burning out can occur" -- That's what short protection circuits are for.

1. Paul 129
      Boffin

Now that you mention it

Isn't that part of the USB spec?

6. DAN*tastik
    WTF?

The customer is always wrong?

- It does work, it's you holding it wrong

- It does work, it's you doing something wrong to it

- Our phones are great, the problem is that people in Italy, Spain and Belgium ( or something similar ) not buying them

- We didn't reach the target because some of our customers are waiting for the new version of our product to hit the shelves

Is the next strategy for big companies to start suing those who buy their products, claiming that the negative feebacks on Twitter or Amazon are only because they can't use something properly?

And then suing those who don't buy their products, because they interfere with their targets?

If anyone knows a good lawyer ( or solicitor, attorney or barrister or whatever, I never get it right ), put their contact details on here in case we all end up in courts.

1. wowfood

Re: The customer is always wrong?

We're already seeing something like that with metro.

"You don't like it? Obviously you haven't tried it propperly"

7. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Ah yes...

...just like the laptops that had a tightening spring on one side. Eventually the tension would be so high that the screen would crack from the corner when it was opened; and that was supposed to be user error as well.

8. LinkOfHyrule
    Joke

Foxconn should have designed the thing to be more sweat resistant - these gaming devices need to be able to cope with "gamers thumb" as the British Medical Journal calls it - textbook error guys!

9. Jordan Davenport

If this isn't a problem specific to the Vita...

...then why aren't these problems happening with every other mobile device on the market?

For the record, I hadn't previously heard of the problem myself, given I know absolutely no one who owns or wants a Vita.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If this isn't a problem specific to the Vita...

I actually like my Vita. I just wish there were more decent games for it.

1. asdf
        Trollface

Re: If this isn't a problem specific to the Vita...

OMG a vita owner wow!! You sir are a rare breed. Almost as rare a breed as a WP7 owner.

10. Katie Saucey
    Joke

Is Sony infringing ...

..on the apple customer service playbook? "I see, your devices is in flames? Well sir, you must be holding it wrong!"

11. kain preacher

So

Isn't Sony really saying you are stupid shut up and go away?

1. Goes to 11
      Go

Re: So

Yes,

Now shut up and go away.

Love,

Sony

12. asdf
    FAIL

also

Lets all take a minute and salute the Vita for doing something it doesn't always do and that is selling more units worldwide last week than the PSP. Total sales to date for the Velveeta is now 2.5 million. Fail.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like