back to article WTO to probe China rare earth stranglehold claims

The World Trade Organisation has finally agreed to investigate claims by the US, EU and Japan that China is unfairly strangling rare earth exports in order to favour its domestic manufacturing industry. The three complained back in March that China was pushing up prices and restricting exports of the minerals – which are …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JaitcH
    FAIL

Given that China acquired a US ...

business, from GM I believe, I am surprised that the sale wasn't prevented on security grounds y the US of A.

Asleep at the switch again?

2. Tom 7

China is unfairly strangling

now if they could buy their own WTO like the US then they'd be sorted.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Free trade - if we restrict it, "fair", if they restrict it, "unfair"

I don't know how many lorries you will need to carry off the amount of faggotry and hypocrisy generated during this discussion round. Maybe we can get some Hillary Hysterics and Mitt Foppery out of this though.

Do I need to link to

The China-US rare earth games

article again?

4. Tim Worstal

umm

"to discuss China’s export of rare earths, specifically tungsten and molybdenum."

W and Mo are not rare earths.

They are minor metals.

China produces under 40% of Mo and about 80% of W.

1. FartingHippo
      Thumb Up

Re: umm

I was thinking the same thing about the tungsten, at least.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. mhenriday
    Big Brother

Have to agree, Phil - those Chinese are baaad !

After all, China has around 30 % of known rare earth reserves (as pointed out by Tim above, neither W nor Mo are among the so-called «rare earths», i e, the lanthanides plus Sc and Y) and produces about 97 % of those available on the market. This would seem to mean that countries with 70 % of known reserves produce approximately 3 % of the rare earths available on the market. The obvious conclusion to draw from all this is that it is those dastardly Chinese who are holding the market to ransom and that the other countries sitting on all those reserves and which don't choose to produce for the market have nothing at all to do with any lack of these materials there. Right, Phil ?...

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like