back to article ABS pulls Census app, points it at the right data

For a couple of days, the Australian Bureau of Statistics looked like the coolest government statistician on Earth, after it launched an iOS app linked to Census data. Be patient: the ABS says it will launched its fixed app "soon" Today, however, database administrators and app developers somewhere in Canberra will be …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come to their census

..does nobody test these days?

1. parityerror

Re: Come to their census

What do you mean? It's functionally working fine.

Content population is not the responsibility of the tester :)

2. schmerg

"Coolest government statistician on Earth"??

Hey , back in the late 80s (ask yer parents kids) we took the ABS census and put it on CD-ROM with a software package to generate tables and choropleth maps so you could access the data with no more than a PC-AT (12MHz CPU, 640k RAM, 10Mb hard drive, EGA graphics, DOS 3.3 etc) and shutdown mainframes for quite a few people in the process, never mind the massive computational resources of an iOs device.

CDATA86 aka "SuperMap" by Space-Time Research if you want to look it up - yeah, glory days.

Anyway, the point was the ABS has always been a leader at this stuff. We did other countries later, but the ABS was the one that had the vision to take what we were building and welcome us (in relative terms) whereas the UK and US were a complete PITA.

And yeah, we did censuses from other years too and did all the alignment of data terms & geographic boundaries etc for you too (that's the "Time" part of "Space-Time Research"), so I'm sorry if you had to do all that sort of stuff yourself Richard, cos we did it all 25 years ago.

I'll get me zimmerframe...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like