back to article Ultrabook demand soars Stateside

That Ultrabooks have grabbed almost 11 per cent of the $700-and-up Windows notebook market in the US during the first five months of the year sounds impressive, until you realise how small that market segment is. The statistic above comes from US retail market watcher NPD. It said Ultrabooks' share of the $700-plus segment has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Robert E A Harvey

Be quite interesting to see what effect the likes of brokeBuy had. Last time I went in one of theirs, the only thing on offer were 900buck++ untra books

Is it a genuine trend if people are denied anything else?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I was talking to the sales staff in staples quite a while back. They told me they were hoping to become an apple reseller, because the markup on most of the PCs they sold was under £10. Maybe there's enough profit on an ultra book for it to be at least worth opening the shop? If so you can hardly blame them from dropping the budget stuff!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Wow a 0.89% increase on 0.9% of the market.

That is a huge increase in sales!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

The PC market will disappear in a few years

The common windows desktop + laptop will be gone, replaced by the tablets. Fear not though, we'll be left with workstations + high end laptops for doing serious work. A tablet is good enough for anything else :)

1. deadmonkey
      Happy

Re: The PC market will disappear in a few years

Why should we fear what you say, rather than just thinking it's nonsense :)

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

Re: The PC market will disappear in a few years

The graphic is just silly. It's like when fanboys brag about how they own the "over $1000" market. Of course they do because the vast majority of the market is at lower price points. An Ultrabook is like a netbook but with a bigger price tag. Ditch the minaturization and you can get a lot more bang for your buck.

So there is a lot less need to pay that much for your laptop unless you are trying to press the light and thin aspect to the exclusion of all else.

$700? I am not sure I would pay that much for a PC laptop. Just like a $1000 PC.

3. pear

The thing is that it's not that people aren't using less pcs and laptops, it's just that we hit a point when things became powerful enough and people aren't needing to replace them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

They went from selling 6 Ultraflops to selling 16 Ultraflops over five months - with added Bribe money from InHell. This is a perfect example of a bad product that you can't even GIVE away.

1. dogged
      FAIL

Re: Wow

"ultraflops" "inhell" - You're conforming perfectly to a certain stereotype so far.

Here's a test - name the company that publishes Visio.

Of course, I don't doubt that you can name it, I'm just testing which of the "downs syndrome facsimile of funny" spellings you use.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When you stereotype people you make an arse of yourself because you really don't know these people at all. You should walk a mile in their shoes and not judge people or use health issues to insult people. This is very disrespectful.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"with added Bribe money from InHell"

bruised by the "Hell", are we?

As for the "Bribe", that is for the consumers to understand and keep in mind when they shop for products from companies that are fined both in US and in EU for "anti-competitive practices". If consumers watch adverts (on TV and radio) by computer stores for laptops (and desktops) and always hear jingle from just one processor company tagged along with those advert, then they should ask: "why, why is it that you see name on only that one company and not its competitor(s)? Surely the computer stores have laptops and desktops with other company's processors, then why only one company is mentioned during the advert?" That is a great puzzle to solve!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like